Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

What I Got Today . . . .

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by Martin Bull, Jul 19, 2002.

1. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

At the Beltring fair ! Well, with nearly 1,000 stalls to look at, I had to buy something !

- A 'relic' Panzerfaust tube in OK condition ( it's heavy ! I'd always thought they were made out of tin )
    - A 'relic' K98 in skeletal condition ( OK, but it was only ten pounds )
    - A complete, deactivated 30mm cannon shell dated 1944 ( Me 262-type )
    - An official Reichsparteitag Nuremburg postcard, franked 'Munchen 25.9.37 Staatsbesuch Mussolini-Hitler 25-28.9.37'
    - Book 'Bastogne '44' by J. De Launay ( one I hadn't got...)
    - large piece of riveted skinning from wing root of Stab II/JG51 Bf109E ( pilot : Lt W. Knittel ) shot down in Kent 29/10/40. ( Still with Dunkelgrun/grau paint ).

None of these pieces cost more than 20 pounds.
    A nice day out ! And the sun shone, too . . . .

2. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Martin is the 3cm round marked and a yellow body ? Most likely not from a 262 if it is 44 marked. Fw 190 A-8 probably, and R-2 or R-8 variant.

3. Martin Bull

Thanks for the reply, Erich.

You're probably right ( my knowledge of the 30mm gun is very feeble ! ).

No sign of paint, but then it was dredged up from a marsh ! Base is marked ' eey / 3 8 / 44'. A strange little propellant casing for such a large shell. The dealer did have a yellow-painted one but the paint looked a little too new...and the price was high. I only paid twelve pounds for mine.

[ 19 July 2002, 02:12 PM: Message edited by: Martin Bull ]

4. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Good show martin, and here is what I will be recieving in about a week or so.

A 9-place Imperial ribbon bar.
    A 6-place Imperial ribbon bar.
    A 6-place Saxon Ribbon bar w/4 Saxon Awards.

From Baldes. A near mint 1940 model Wound badge in Gold and a ww1 Wound badge in Silver. If you want to see what my Gold Wound Badge will look like--go to the topic that Otto put to my attention and look at the pics of his badge--which he got from Baldes as well. :D

After this--probably nothing for a few weeks :(

[ 19 July 2002, 02:15 PM: Message edited by: C.Evans ]

5. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Martin :

A couple of more questions.....yellow body would of indicated HE, Minen round with a black capital M on the round. There were two types of 3cm's Minen and Minen incendiary. both extremely lethal as only 2-4 were needed to take out any 4 enigne bomber. We ydid have quite an extensive page(s) on our formere sturmgruppen web-site. The regular and most common yellow bodied M round had a blunt tip. The incendiary has a much more pointed head. The body of the round would be marked. Being in the marsh I find interesting as this must indicate a crash of somesort in wet lands or a box of ammo dumped here. The yellow on the M round would be quite bright and also may have a horizontal narrow green band at the base. The shell casing would be steel. The 2cm M rounds that I have are a stragne mixute of a brass/stell component.

Carl what is Baldes URl again bitte ? !

E

6. Martin Bull

Can't remember if the yellow one had an 'M' I'm afraid.
    'My' one has got a steel shell, parallel-sided with a removable, conical top, two indents in the sides, small, flat, tip. 'Marsh' was in fact the marshy edge of a lake - the German dealer had a complete box-full which he reckoned had most likely been dumped there at the end of the war. Wouldn't quite say where, though - you know how cagey these guys can be !
    Anyhow, this piece almost completes my collection of WWII aircraft ammunition. [​IMG]

7. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Fur Luftwaffen Experten Erich "Bubi" Brown, Herr Baldes seite ist: www.carsten-baldes.de Give it a shot and see what you think. I know ill be buying from him as often as I can. I wish I had the money for the 1870 ek2 and 1870 WMM 2 place medal bar. The ek comes with 25 year Oaks too.

Go to www.weitze.net and check this out--he has at least one or two 1870 EK1's!!!!!!!!! Darn it, it sucks being poor. :( I cannot afford that one.

8. Martin Bull

Just checked out the pic of the Gold Wound Badge, Carl - looks beautiful ! I shudder to think of the cost - think I'll stick with my battered Black one !

As you must have guessed, I'm very into weapons, munitions,books and aircraft bits so I always enjoy reading about your collection of awards as that's an area I tend to leave alone. [​IMG]

9. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Many thanks. There was one other Gold Wound Badge for sale but wasnt as nice as this one--I think he had it for appx 120 Euro. The one I got was 145 Euro and Carsten had one even better than the one I got--which is now in Ottos collection--his was 150 Euro. Also, I was sent an email from Herr Baldes showing me that he also had another ww1 Silver Wound badge for sale. The one I wanted (being the only one i thought he had at the time) had just sold--so he sent me an email w/pics showing me the other one he had which was much better in condition, and was only 3.50 Euro more--so I said OK, and now it too is mine.

A thought just occurred to me, and ill try to remember to ask Otto about this. He might want to consider a militaria section with photos of things from peoples collections. That would be a neat thing to have.

I see you collect ordenance, I bet you have one heck of a nice collection. There is a site which ill try to find for you--that is selling Mauser stripper clips with 5 rounds of deactivated ammo in them--marked with waffennampt markings and I think dated 1941. If interested--ill see if I can find which site they are/were being sold at. I think the price was $10.00 or about 5,50 Pounds?

10. Martin Bull

Carl,
    Many thanks indeed for the kind thought.

But - hahaaa - on my recent lightning visit to Bastogne I finally managed to track down a complete carton of 15 brass K98 rounds from the battle in totally mint condition, all matching headstamps with carton label intact and 1944 dated. Deactivated, been looking for one for years - 25 Euros ! I'd have paid three times that....
    Your Wound Badge sounds more reasonable in price than I'd expected.

Just goes to show - quietly cleaning the rust and mud from my ten-pound relic K98 bought yesterday, and found that it had come complete with live round left in the breech by the last owner in 1945 ! That's a little bit illegal over here...needless to say, the offending item has been gently removed and disposed of..... :rolleyes:

[ 20 July 2002, 04:31 PM: Message edited by: Martin Bull ]

11. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

No problem, anything for a forum member and for a friend from across the pond.

I was reading about your rifle--wow--a live round in there eh? I was a bit concerned as I know you guys have much more strict gun laws than we do.

12. Martin Bull

Yep - the stallholder could've ended up in the Tower of London !

The 'ghost' K98 looks quite atmospheric now that I've cleaned it up and treated the metal. All I need now is a 'proper' K98 to display alongside it. ;)

13. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Ewwww Tower of London. Well, I guess it couldnt be too bad there these days--after all--Hess was held there for awhile.

14. Martin Bull

Ah haaa - that's assuming it was Hess :confused: :rolleyes: ;)

15. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

Martin, glad to hear you own a Mauser now. Now you can realise that it is better rifle then the Lee-Enfield. :D

16. Martin Bull

After sitting at the bottom of a lake for fifty-six years it's not in exactly - shall we say - immaculate condition !
    I now need a really nice deact K98 to stand in the shadow of my No4 Enfield ! ;)

17. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

OK. In that way, the Lee-Enfield is better! :D

18. Steve

Steve Member

Hi Guys: If you want the BEST bolt action rifle you need a Springfield 03-A3. :D

19. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

Bah!

Amerikanischer, Engländer: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] !!!!!!

20. Martin Bull

OK, Friedrich, I'll make an important concession here. After reading all the comments on this forum, as well as looking at the very interesting American 'K98 Forum' I'll admit that there's 'something' about the K98. That's why I shall be looking for one to join my deact collection.