Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

What if Hitler had not been Hitler?

Discussion in 'What If - Other' started by Chesehead121, Jan 18, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Chesehead121

Chesehead121 Member

Wasn't sure where to post this, so I think I'll just put it down right here.

I saw this question asked in a WWII magazine I subscribed to and thought I'd hand it over for discussion with a few slight changes. The full article can be seen here:
    What If Hitler Had Not Been Evil? ยป HistoryNet.
    Now the problems I had with this article are as follows:
    1. I don't think it did enough in that nothing changed.
    2. It focused on the wrong time period. It focused on the beginning of the war, where I would have liked to see it focus on the end and afterwards.
    3. This focuses on being not politically evil, where I would like to focus on Hitler's personal evil, particularly his vendetta against Jews, Gypsies, and other "undesirables" like the 11 million he killed in 6 years.

So what if Hitler had not been such a bastard(pardon my french)? This entails keeping all the political statements and actions made up to 1939 when World War 2 started except for his racial superiority jargon.

With that in mind, my questions are as follows:
    1. Would the French have been as resistant?
    2. Would the Germans have been greeted as liberators by the Ukranians, as they were before they murdered something like 1 million of them.
    3.What would have been their treatment after the war? This entails two parts, a. would there have been such a sense of evil that surrounded Germany after the war? and b. Would the Allies be as harsh to Germany (splitting it into 2 parts) after the war?

My thoughts on number one are straightforward. Yes. The French had their country taken over, and nobody likes that. Probably the most influential of the three questions would be #2, as the Ukranians definitely did their part in the partisan war inside the Soviet Union. This could have changed the course of the war. #3 is less important, as technically the Allies wanted to condemn "aggressive war"(or at least that was their objective during the Nuremberg Trials) so their reaction would probably have been the same.

Have fun with it.