Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

What Is A Rogue?

Discussion in 'Counter-Battery Fire' started by Poppy, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Would those be desert churros ViCG?.. I love Mexican food.

2. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Well, he has sheep...I have horses...good guys to keep in with!:D

3. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

As an historical aside...We in Australia have to thank the Poms for our massive wool industry...
    About two hundred years ago the King of Spain gifted the English Queen 50 of its finest Marino sheep...(hundreds of years of breeding)...The Queen apparently sniffed at such a pressie and said "Send them to the colonials"...The ship was literally diverted enroute to Sydney Cove...Our country was built on the backs of those first 50 Marinos...again, thanks Poms!

4. Victor Gomez

Victor Gomez Ace

Yes the churro is the original sheep the Spaniards brought from Spain.....before that there were not any here.....they were traded and multiplied becoming the staple of tribes encountered by the Spanish Conquistadors....and they flourished until the U.S. Government decided to eradicate those animals they didn't think should be here and began a killing spree hoping to establish the sheep they preferred but since about 1970 it was realized a small number had been preserved in the rurals of New Mexico. They are a preferred sheep for their hardiness and quality wool for spinning and weaving...... compared to the "Hogan Sheep" that are more prevalent today. "Hogan Sheep" is often the name given to the suffolk or other breeds that require warm quarters and too much care as compared to the "Churro" which is very much considered a strong and hardy breed that weathers well and is less susceptible to predators that are abundant here. Poppy there is good sheep or lamb eating in this area of New Mexico on and adjacent to the Navajo reservation. Northern Hispanic cuisine and Navajo cuisine have many things in common with their early trading of pallete tastes. Northern Hispanic cuisine is not exactly the same as Mexican food and there is great controversy as to what to call the types of cooking......personally I would rather eat it than argue about it ......even the spoken Spanish of the Northern part of the state is sometimes classified as a dielect of Spanish as it is unique in how it is spoken in the Northern part of the state. I predict eventually the dialects will die out as they are decreasing in numbers because of many factors. There is outside influences from all directions and cultures slowly reducing this portion of the population. I will have to study the POMs and see if they have any similarity to the churros here. Interesting the things we can compare and find out about!------oh I forgot to mention....Tex Mex is not a favorite at all around here but to each his own.

5. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Me Pa likes the lamb. Learned behavior from the English forefathers. Ima beefer. With bacon on the weekends....Desert, dessert, whatever.

6. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....bacon....

7. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

I love lamb, cannot quite say the same about mutton. Don't know why, just seems to "greasy" or something. I do like game meats, beef, ham, fish, and poultry as well, just an unabashed carnivore I guess. I agree with a comedian (don't remember which one) who said; "mankind didn't claw it's way to the top of the food chain to graze at the salad bar." Think it was George Carlin, but I'm not sure.

8. Victor Gomez

Victor Gomez Ace

I much favor lamb over mutton, I don't know scientifically but am told there is a higher concentration of lanolin in the oils of the mutton which is not a thing I either like to smell or taste. But lamb that is nearly full grown but not quite is very good to eat....but there is no question it has to be "well done" .....no one I know will eat sheep any other way but well done. A rack of ribs over juniper coals until crispy can't be beaten.....along with some home made ranch style beans and taters. Now I am hungry and all I have to eat for today is frozen fish that is now thawing........

9. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Not crazy about lamb, but most other meats hit the spot for me. A good stew, London broil, ham, chili; you name it, I'll eat it. I agree with Clint's comedian; I've been known to turn down salad in order to have extra meat.

10. RabidAlien

RabidAlien Ace

Had lamb, not a big fan (too greasy, I guess). Don't hate it, don't like it, I could survive on it I guess. Kangaroo is much tastier. Or rattlesnake. Mmmmmm...

As for being a rogue....been booted/ostracized on too many other forums for a) oddball sense of humor (I like Monty Python, go figger), 2) eclectic mix of interests including history, sci-fi (currently going through the archives at Schlock Mercenary - Archives - Monday June 12, 2000, yes the artwork gets better, the puns get worse, and the story gets more and more addicting...if you've ever served in the military, you can most certainly relate!), guns, and steampunk, and E) inability to flip braincell into "PC" mode...referring to the butt-kissing version, not the personal computing version of "PC"...I tell it like I see it. Sometimes I'm wrong, sometimes I'm right, but if you get yer nickers in a wad and can't rationally/calmly/logically explain to me the errors of my ways, then that's your problem. So, I just sorta fell into this place. Lost a shoe on the way in, which sorta pissed me off, but they were cheap so I stick around.

11. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Im glad you did my friend...their loss, our gain - Kangaroo is probably the leanest meat available...tender, and with a good marinade...simply the best...especially for a steak sandwich...or roo sanger i guess...Nice choice.

12. RabidAlien

RabidAlien Ace

The one I had was at a place called Rosy O'Grady's in Perth. It was BBQ'd, and according to the receipt, was once named "Skippy". Makes it personal. And...somehow...tastier.

seriously, though...click that link if you have any interest in sarcasm/puns/scifi.

13. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

We have imported kangaroo meat here too, Emu farms are popular too and it's now possible (still difficult to get) to get the steak localy.

14. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Make sure it IS Kangaroo...
    And hey! You're eating our coat of arms! : )
    Kangaroo and Emu chosen as our symbol animals because they are among the few animals that cant walk backwards...representing Australia always going forward....bet ya didnt know that one!

15. RabidAlien

RabidAlien Ace

Heh. I thought it was just because that was a nifty picture someone saw on a menu, and decided to adopt as the national coat of arms. Works either way, I guess.

16. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Careful...

17. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

Zwartbles mate....They are our breeding stock that I intend to retire with...They taste lovely too....The commercial flock is made up of normal Mules, suffolks and scotties etc...

Have a small flock of Zwartbles....100 at most. They have first births this year...Jumping about like...errrr....spring lambs....loads of em... Commercial flock are purely for meat. I got two males yesterday who's markings are like Zulu cattle...They are going to be future rams...Should introduce a whole new pattern to the sheep world....

Buggered now though...Only few weeks in and doing night lambing from 12 till about 5...madness....then up at 9 check on last nights births etc...over to river meadows at 3 with shotgun....and I'm going to get the gypsy dogs that have killed half a dozen new borns...one got carried away in front of me and I didn't have the gun...A weeks break soon then second main flock come in and were off big time...I have the great job of despatching the ill...I'm apparantly the grim reaper now...Who'd have sheep.

18. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

It is (directly imported from Australia ) and bought sealed in a supermarket .

19. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

Just in....proof positive....recount of rogues postings on half million posts...

Otto likes this.
  20. belasar

belasar Court Jester

I havn't seen data like that since the second Bush administration!*

*as a registered republican, I am authorised to make such humorous asides about a republican President, all others will be mocked unmercifully and reminder that the guy before him liked jailbait in the oval office! :p