Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

What is the main reason all of you are interested in this War?

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by SlickAG, Mar 13, 2001.

1. A.GREG

A.GREG Member

What do you think is less passionate nowadays and in the Gulf War and such than from WWII?

2. Peppy

Peppy Idi Admin

I'm saying that the participants in WW2 truly believed they were fighting for more than their own survival. They believed they were fighting for the very existance of their culture, their people and their nation. This sort of determined passion and widespread sacrifice did not exist in the Gulf war. I am not saying Gulf War vets didn't secrifice. I am saying that they knew that win or lose, the US way of life was not threatened. In WW2, there was a different sense of urgency about what would happen to your people if your country lost the war.

[This message has been edited by Peppy (edited 02 April 2001).]

3. A.GREG

A.GREG Member

I feel the same way. A lot of previous wars were fought with so much more passion such as the Revolutionary War and the Civil War. I still think soldiers today fight with their hearts, but not with the passion that our ancestors had.

4. A.GREG

A.GREG Member

I still also agree that there are many veterans of recent wars that did sacrifice and try their hardest to fight for what they believed in. And I have no personal experiance in any such battle, but I just dont feel the same passion as in history. But thats only from reading, not first hand accounts.