Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

What is Towing this 57mm AT Gun in Maastrict?

Discussion in 'Artillery' started by Ruud, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Ruud

Ruud Member

Well as i already told in my introduction, I am from the Netherlands. I live in Maastricht. I was looking for pictures about the liberation of Maastricht. Looking for a subject for a model diorama. And i found this picture were its all about:
    http://www.oldhickory30th.com/Maastricht 117th Co. C.jpg

[​IMG]

I know its Maastricht, i know is taken on 13th september 1944,i know there are GI's patrolling, i know the speed limit is 45km/h, the grass is still green, its a towed 57mm antitank gun but what i cant find out what it is towed by because of the #$%$%@name plate of the city....:confused:
    So can someone tell me what vehicle is towing it? Is it a Dodge WC 62 of 63 or another vehicle (maybe an M8) Cold it be a GMC ? Any help is very much apreciated :p

2. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I'm leaning toward an M-8 with the rear fenders removed, but I would take the word of the vehicle wonks that lurk about here before I would mine.

I'm going to move this portion of the thread to a different section to increase the likelihood that you get an answer.

3. leccy1

leccy1 Member

The unit they are with may help a little.

A 57mm anti-tank gun and a patrol of American GI's from the 30th Infantry Division peer eastward toward Maastricht, Holland from the outskirts of Cadier-en-Keer in mid-September of 1944. The men belong to Company C, 1st Battalion, 117th Infantry Regiment.

A similar image possibly the same type of vehicle
    View attachment 15807

Attached Files:

4. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

There is simply too little of the vehicle shown to really make a good I.D., but since the M8 is a six-wheeler with full coverage rear fenders, not a four wheeler and it is too difficult to see if that is a set of rear drivers, or just a "trick" of the photo since the right side isn't clear and the left is blocked by the soldier's leg, and really only four show here for certain, so my guess (and I do mean guess) would be on of the Dodge WC series. Most likely in the 3/4 ton size.

5. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

that is a better shot there, and it might well be this series of Dodge with the top off and the windshield down.

Goto:

Oldtimer gallery. Trucks (Cars). Dodge T223 (WC62, WC63).

6. Slipdigit

My friend Old Hickory tells me that M-8s did not normally have tow M57 and that most likely it is the Dodge.

He laughed when I told him that the pic was made on 13 September. His troop had already passed through the city on the 12th was out the other side.

7. SKYLINEDRIVE

SKYLINEDRIVE Member

Definitely no M8 as otherwise the turret should show, it seems to small to be an M20 so my bet would be a WC62/63.

8. Highway70

Highway70 Member

I think it is an M8. It does have 6 wheels (there is a wheel partially hidden by the soldiers leg and another partially hidden by the sign post) and that could be the turret showing above the soldiers elbow.

9. Ruud

Ruud Member

Valkenburg
    Slipdigit, you said your friend was in Valkenburg, this link is to pictures taken by local Photographer (still has a shop there)

Slipdigit likes this.
  10. SKYLINEDRIVE

SKYLINEDRIVE Member

I beg to difer, in that case both soldiers would have to be giants, the deck of an M8 is about shoulder height of a tall man. never could a man standing next to an M8 be taller then the overall vehicle. Why not simply accept the easy and logical solution, it's a Dodge WC 62/63 the vehicle that was generally employed for towing the 57mm M1 AT gun.

11. rkline56

rkline56 USS Oklahoma City CG5

JW,
    Old Hickory has a mind like a steel trap to remember his position on 12SEP44. All the Best to you both.

12. Slipdigit

When we were talking, gathering information for the book, he did very well. Some dates he knew to the day, such as when his friends were killed. Other incidences, he usually knew within the week. Sometimes he would say "Oh, that was after X, but before Y," then have to think a bit before pinning down a closer date. He said oftentimes that he did not know where he was, so it was hard to pin a date to a location.

I found the 30 Recon's After Action Reports after I had finished the first draft of the book and when I went thought it, I found that with one or two exceptions, he was on the mark about when things happened. There were a good many dates that I was able to verify using using the AAR, such as when he and another man captured 17 Germans in France in late August, 1944 and the time he thought he was about to be killed by a German tank. That last one, he had down to within 3 days before I could pinpoint it. He could not get any closer as he said the days had run together since they had been awake for a good part of time, even at night. That was in October, 1944.

Other dates I was not able confirm, such as when he ate cheese and crackers with a 8 or 9 year French girl in the drive across France. All he remembers is that it was after they crossed the Seine. A lot of the things he did in the race across Germany run together, too, except for the death of one of his good firends on 12 April, 1945 in a small village on the road to Magdeburg. That date he has never forgotten, nor 2 September, 1944 when another good friend and "the best soldier I ever knew" was killed near Tournai, Belgium.

I've started talking with publishers. We'll see how it goes.

Ruud likes this.
  13. Ruud

Ruud Member

Slipdigit,

Would you be so kind to tell Old Hickory that i still am very thankfull to him and all of his comrades who risk our gave their lives to liberate us. Thank you !

14. Ruud

Ruud Member

15. Slipdigit

Will do, Ruud. He is very fond of the Dutch.

16. Highway70

Highway70 Member

You are mistaken on the height, closer to mid-chest below the arm pit, not shoulder height (of course heights of people do vary). The soldiers are closer to the camera than the tow vehicle not right next to it. The height of the camera in relation to the subject(s) makers a differance. A low camera relative to the subjects, which appears to be the case, makes the more the distance subjects look shorter and the closer subjects look taller. A high camera would make the distant subject look taller and closer subject shorter. I confirmed this by observing two identical pens mounted vertically, one approximately 6" from my eyes and the other approxinately 12" beyond it.

Twin Cities Assembly Plant | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

http://www.wwiivehicles.com/usa/armored-cars/m-8.asp

17. SKYLINEDRIVE

SKYLINEDRIVE Member

The soldier inbetween the traffic sign and the road sign "Maastricht" is standing right next to the Dodge, the distance inbetwen the camera and the soldier is much bigger, so the optical illusion can't play. Let's agree to disagree. It's definitely no M8. I stand by the Dodge

18. Ruud

Ruud Member

People, i more and more tend to assume it is a dodge WC62 pr WC63. I thank you all for thinking and posting. It is a great experience for me that you all welcom a new member like this ! Thank you very Much !!!

19. Highway70

Highway70 Member

The soldier is several feet to the right and also probably slightly behind the vehicle (thus closer to the camera).

Look between the sign and the soldier, the top of the vehicle appears to be above his shoulder. It blocks the view of the tree in this area. (the top of the turret). There is a dark area on the vehicle just above soldier's elbow. (the demarcation between the top of the hull and the bottom of the turret).

Look at the rear wheels. The rear most wheel looks to be slightly inset (closer to the center of the vehicle) than the wheel in front of it. I don't know the reason for this appearance, but have seen this in other photos of M8's and M20's. (edit, after some thought I have decided that this is an illusion caused by the angle of the vehicle to the camera. The appearance would be similar for any 6x6 vehicle.)

While the closer the subjects are together the less effect the height of the camera on the relative appearance of their heights, the effect I describd is true even if the subjects (pens in my experment) are touching.

20. Takao

Takao Ace

Am I the only one to notice the Dodge WC-62/63's taillight/reflector that is visible just above the AT-gun's left tire and the Maastricht sign? It is way to low and out of place for the M-8/M-20.

Also, note that the edge of the truck(visible by the tailight, is straight, if it was an M-8/M-20 it should be slightly angled.

What Highway70 is calling a "turret", is likely the two wooden slats that were usually mounted on the sides of the truck. Especially since you can see 2 separations, the first is just above the soldier's elbow, and the second is about the middle of the upper-arm.

Edit-
    Hogwash! The soldier is standing right where the paved road meets the dirt, the Dodge is about one or two feet in on the paved road. This, in my book, does not equal "several feet", but only a "couple" of feet.

Ruud likes this.