Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

What is wrong with this picture?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by A-58, Oct 12, 2017.

1. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

[​IMG]

Otto and von Poop like this.
  2. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Damn...was thinking about this possibility only last week...didn't think it happened very often...its the users responsibility to correctly attach isn't it?

3. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

I do believe it is. Or used to be. It sure was when I was on jump status. Hope that his reserve was folded and packed right.

CAC likes this.
  4. Dylan45

Dylan45 New Member

I hope too his reserve is ready.

5. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana WW2|ORG Editor

Jumpmaster has a problem. Not doing his job.

6. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

He was too busy taking pictures to be bothered by all that jumpmaster business.

7. OpanaPointer

Yeah, I saw a guy get hit by a moose as he was taking pictures of her newborn. He could have used a 'chute...

A-58 likes this.
  8. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

Well, my first thought was oh sheet, hope he remembers to count, at least then he'd realize rather quickly he had a problem. Then it was wait a minute HTF does that happen, the static line snap hook has a locking spring gate to secure it once it's clipped on the anchor line cable in the aircraft. The one in the picture doesn't have one. Then I thought, 1.) Stand up 2.) Hook Up-he should have heard/felt it click 3.) Check Static line-he'd realize it wasn't secured. The jumper is required to hold a loop in his static line from the time he hooks up so how couldn't he notice? 4.) Stand by for equipment check; here the jumper behind though focused on the jumper in fronts pack and lines should notice. Finally, the jumper passes the static line off to the Jumpmaster as he approaches the door, the Jumpmaster would grab him by the harness and pull him back. This is the only point in the jump sequence where the Jumpmaster should be culpable. Though he should have picked up on the unserviceable snap hook during his pre-jump check.
    Then I got to looking and thought, you really can't tell, but that doesn't look like an US military jumper. Something about the boots, camo pattern, uniform doesn't look quite right. The parachute isn't a T10 wrong shape, or T-11 wrong color and shape, it could be an MC1 but doesn't look quite right. If it is a foreign military jump I'm not sure what their jump procedures are, it could happen, and does occasionally with civilian static line jumps, but it could also be photo shopped. Lastly, I noticed the graphic in the upper right and writing left center next to the jumper and it appears to be Asian though if it's Japanese, Chinese, Korean, etc. I have no idea.

Otto likes this.
  9. Mutley

Mutley Active Member

10. lwd

lwd Ace

Price, good catch on the clues pointing to a non US and possibly Asiatic jumper. Shouldn't there be shoulder patch visible if it was a US jumper as well?

11. von Poop

von Poop Waspish WW2|ORG Editor

Made me smile, but all better now. ;).
    71fb2eb6770051d55b4e4eb603229113--army-mom-army-life.jpg

BFBSM and Otto like this.
  12. OpanaPointer

Photoshop, the enemy of reality.

Otto likes this.
  13. Biak

Biak Adjutant

How do you say, "Geronimooo-ohshit" in Chinese/Korean ?"

14. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

Korean
    제로니모 똥
    jelonimo ttong

Chinese
    Geronimo gǒu shǐ

Ask and ye shall receive ;)

Biak likes this.
  15. OpanaPointer

Is that Gung-nam style?

16. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

It just looks like one of those amusing practical jokes that all military guys love. "Let's see how far Kim Lee drops before he realizes his chute isn't going to open!"

17. OpanaPointer

Or the grenade in a can with the pin out, and a wire strung across the trail.

18. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

I'm the worlds worst about pulling practical jokes, but even I didn't screw around with jumping; too many things go wrong naturally and I damn sure didn't want someones mind anywhere other than on doing everything right. Other jumpers are actually one of the biggest hazards on a jump, I'd guess around 80% or more. When I was searching for the original picture I did a Google image search for "Military parachute accidents" and actually found a report on causes (went to the site where the image was attached). They had all the standard ones, including the one I most feared, a hung jumper; no good immediate action/remedy as far as I'm concerned. One thing from the report that did surprise me was that "reserve parachute deployed in aircraft" is not uncommon! I only ever saw it once and it's terrifying!
    We were still a ways out from the drop zone and everyone but the jumpmasters were still seated. It was a door jump from a C-130 and I was seated about 6 jumpers back on the center aisle, portside. Because the doors were open there was a lot of wind in the aircraft, but it wasn't readily apparent.
    Now they go over all kinds of immediate action drills in your pre-jump briefing even if it's about things you are unlikely to encounter; electrical lines, water (common), hung jumper (relatively common), reserve deployment with main canopy malfunction (uncommon), mid-air collisions and avoidance (common), etc. I don't ever recall being briefed on inside the aircraft reserve deployment (Bobby?)
    Anyway, this guy is towards the front of the aircraft where there's was just a single row and was screwing around with the Rip Cord cover flap on his reserve chute, opening and closing it. Several people told him to stop and he would, then a few seconds later would start back again. I was bored and guess I dozed off, only to awake to people screaming. I looked down the aisle and maybe a four or five inch finger of reserve chute was protruding out like some OD green hernia. I chuckled and said to the jumper next to me, "look at that silly fu*k". The wind was whipping it around, I still don't realize this is serious, I only had maybe 15 jumps at the time, enough I wasn't scared but, not enough to know what to be scared of. A strong gust of wind now there's a four foot snake of parachute wiggling on the deck towards the back where we're doubled. Jumpmasters are screaming step on it! STEP ON IT! They can't get down the aisle because our legs are all interlaced (outboard jumpers and aisle jumpers) with our equipment resting on our thighs. Here's a more recent photo to give you an idea what I'm talking about:

[​IMG]

No equipment to show legs.

[​IMG]
    Equipment

I'm still not concerned, "If it drags his silly ass out, he gets what he deserves". The SFC next to me is really concerned now and, looks at me and hollers. You idiot, if the wind catches it it'll drag him out, and everyone between him and the door. We're not hooked up." I got concerned real quick, everybody blindly stomping their feet in case it got under them, we couldn't see the deck below us. Some dude up where they weren't doubled, gets up and throws his body on it, the aircrew with some effort get the doors closed. Crisis averted.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  19. OpanaPointer

"Perfectly good airplane..."

20. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

Come to think of it, I can't recollect any such briefing as you mentioned. Sounds like a good thing to work into the rotation though.

When I was in jump school, one of our fellow jump candidates reserve deployed in the aircraft. No problems arose over it. Several seasoned jumpers who on board that were pay hurt piled on the chute as if it was a live grenade. The guy was pulled out of line and was not allowed to jump, and landed with the plane. He was heavily scrutinized (interrogated more like) as to how his reserve deployed in the aircraft. He said that as they were standing up, they hit turbulence and he fell forward, and tried to maintain his balance. His thumb inadvertently went into the reserve chute pull handle and pulled it. Boing, out comes the chute. His story was corroborated by Air Force crew members and other jumpers, so he was not booted from jump school. He ended up graduating with us at the end of the week. Lucky dude.

Otto, lwd, USMCPrice and 1 other person like this.