Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

What is your familial country of origin?

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by Hufflepuff, Jan 25, 2009.

1. Steve Petersen

Steve Petersen Member

Mostly German, then Dane, then Scots-Irish.

2. scipio

scipio Member

Like most "English" from the North West, I have a large amount of Irish Catholic blood on both my mother and father sides, over 40% and one Dutch lady from 1806. On my Father's side the Irish are from Waterford and my Mother's from Kilkenny plus some unknowns.

All the English bit comes from a very small area of no more 20 miles across which shows how little they moved,

3. arwalcker

arwalcker Member

My father's side 100% German and my mother's side 50% German 50% Scottish.

4. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Member

My dad's side of the family is 50/50 Norwegian/Swedish. My mom's side was English/Scottish. According to my mother, they were related to the Stuarts, so, if that is true, there may be some French blood mixed in there as well. :)

5. Fris

Fris New Member

Scotland and Northern Ireland.

6. dbf

dbf Member WW2|ORG Editor

I'm a Brit KrautMick in NI.

Brit side is mix of Scots, Hugenot & English (with Norman roots) and anything else they picked up along the way.
    German side is from Westphalia and Hesse with a bit of Ostpreußen thrown in for good measure.

My kids can add Ulster Scots, Irish and Welsh to that.

7. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Seems like we are a forum of mixed breeds (except for me, a pure-bred Italian - OK, I'm American, but all four of my grandparents were immigrants from Italy). Some interesting mixtures,,

8. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

Or better known as....a mongrel....I don't think we have any thouroughbreds on our sites....Apart from von poop...a bull dog if ever I saw one.

9. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Didn't know you had Huguenot roots Urgh. I wrote my Master degree thesis about the Huguenot emigration , many of them ended up in Ulster and fought in the army of William of Orange . As a compensation they were granted lands in Ulster by the King because they were Protestant settlers.

10. dbf

dbf Member WW2|ORG Editor

I should be called Heinz - at least 57 different varieties?

I doubt 'thorough' breds would be able to master the registration process, let alone post.
    Good cross breeding produces a more intelligent article. ;)

11. Karjala

Karjala Don Quijote

Well - I think there's no such thing as a thoroughbread human, since we all are more or less cocktails. Still AFAIK my background is 100 % Finnish at least from the 18th century.

BTW - to all our Swedish neighbours: most of the Swedes nowadays have more or less Finnish "blood" in them, e.g. prince Daniel included. :flag_fin:

12. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

On my fathers side it's all Irish, the paternal side from Fermanagh and the maternal from Cork.

The mothers side is complicated. She's from Appalachia and while the paternal name goes back to Scots/Irish, she was dark and her mother (my grandmother) very dark. They are 'Melungeons' which sets off arguments to this day about who they actually are. Some claim the Melungeons are shipwrecked Portuguese Jews or Turks, or the last Spaniards who moved into the mountains when the British took the southern coasts. In fact, they are most likely the descendents of runaway slaves (both black and white - indentured) who ran away from the coasts and formed their own communities in the interior. Those slaves intermarried and also mixed with the Cherokee and other tribes.
    At any rate, when the first whites began exploring into and beyond the Appalachian mountains, they were surprised to find these English speaking communities already there. Their English was of earlier age, but it was still understandable in the 18th century. There were a number of foreign words mixed in, mostly Spanish or Portuguese which is where the wilder origin tales come from. Slaves in the 16th and 17th century were just another commodity traded across the new world, so no doubt many of the black slaves would have spoken those languages having been acquired from the Spanish or Portuguese.

Google Melungeon for a look at this strange little corner of American history.

13. Campin' Carl

Campin' Carl New Member

On my dads side, my grandmother, Omi Greeta (Grandma Greeta) is Latvian and my grandfather, Frantisek Mrazek, is Czechoslovakian, unfortunately I know nothing past them and I've never met my grandfather. Apparently, he's currently living somewhere in PNG.
    On my mums side, my great great great great Grandfather, Gottleib Seesle, was German and came to Australia some time between 1900 and 1910 and married a young 19 year old english girl, named Anna Marie Frank, and became a farmer in Prospect, SA.

14. green slime

green slime Member

Tahitian, Manx (Deemster John McCrystyn was born circa 1368 at Isle of Man, earlier records were destroyed in 1408), Scottish/Northern Irish (as they criss-crossed back and forth over the centuries, its a tad difficult to say), Ngapuhi Maori.

15. 4jonboy

4jonboy Active Member

100 per cent English on both sides.
    Paternal side Bradford
    Maternal side Leeds.
    All Yorkshire folk born and bred. They obviously didn't move around at all.

Lesley

16. arminiuss

arminiuss New Member

I was born near Stuttgart in Germany to German parents. We moved to the US and became citizens in the early 60s.

17. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

I just recently found out that one of my great great grandfather came to the USA from a farm somewhere between Oslo and Lillehammer. I've actually been able to find the location where the farm was by using Google. :cool:

18. paips

paips New Member

Both my parents came from Latvia, they lived in Germany for 4 yrs then immigrated to Canada after the war. Father was Baltic German descent have some French Huegenots in my family tree also.

19. ladymage

ladymage New Member

Woa well my family history is a bit erm...complicated.

My mum's side is unknown although we do know that my great-great grandfather immigrated from somewhere along the german-austrian border prior to WW1. My mum also has scottish blood too, and that we might be jewish because of my mum's maiden name, which is Cowan. Cowan is a scottish spelling of the common jewish surname cohen. My mum's family are primarily blue collar people, with a handful of relatives that used to work in a steel mill near my mum's hometown. My grandfather was a milkman and my grandmother was a seamstress. Mum has held lots of different occupations throughout her life, but she ironically has also held sewing jobs and worked in grocery stores.

My dad's side of the family is something that we have bit more info on. Scottish immigrants that came sometime in the 19th century. And then one of their descendants fell in love with a colombian woman while he was stationed overseas in Panama. After my granddad returned to the US my grandma came with him and they were happily married. My granddad retired from the army air corps and then rejoined as a civilian when it became the air force, eventually becoming deputy director of Wright-Patterson air force base.

So in short I am mostly german, scottish, and colombian.

20. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Like most of us, a mutt. :hypnotize: