Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

What is your favorite War Film?

Discussion in 'WWII Films & TV' started by PzJgr, Dec 21, 2000.

1. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

What a difficult decision! Bridge Too Far, The Longest Day, Das Boot... they are all great. But I love Cross of Iron with Lee Marvin and Maximillian Schell because of accuracy and content. It is an absolutely great storie and pretty accurate from what I hear as is Das Boot. What is your favorite film and why?

------------------
    Tschuss

2. M60A1

M60A1 Member

I think you meant James Coburn rather than Lee Marvin, but yes, I really enjoy both "Cross of Iron" too. Funny thing about the first time I saw it. I was stationed in Bamberg, Germany when it came out and persuaded a couple of buddies from the unit to go see it in a German theater. (It was, of course, in German for the local audience). My German skills are not that great, but I had read the book a coupleof years before, so I kept my friends up with what was going on. A very strange experience, watching a crowd of Germans cheering when German GI's killed Russians, and there I am with my pals, 4 US GI's! It was a little frightening, but I loved it!

3. Ron

Ron Member

At first i really enjoyed Midway until i realized how INACCURATE it was! (although i would still watch it...with all the explosions and victory) but anyway...the best film i've ever seen was Saving private Ryan and Das Boot.

4. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I dont know about it being my choice for the best war film made, but it certainly is my favorite. It is the German film called: "Stalingrad". It has some of the most realistic combat scenes I have ever seen. Take a look at the scene where the German Infantry, is trying to stop a Russian tank attack with the multi-headed pototo-masher grenade.

5. Jackson

Jackson Member

I saw "The Battle of the Bulge" on AMC a while back, and although the Germans speak English in the movie, it's a really cool movie, with lots of action, tanks, and great battles.

------------------
    "Goddamn it, you'll never get the Purple Heart hiding in a foxhole! Follow me!"
    - Captain Henry P. "Jim" Crowe (Guadalcanal, January 13, 1943)

6. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

You know, I always get James Coburn and Lee Marvin mixed up. You are correct, it is James Coburn. Midway is another one on my list. I just saw "U-571". Doesn't compare to Das Boot but I enjoyed it.

------------------
    Tschuss

7. M60A1

M60A1 Member

You know, I just remembered one of my favorite films, having just seen it on WGN for about the ??th time. I know its full of holes, might not even be considered a "war movie" by some, but I love "The Final Countdown" with Kirk Douglas, starring the USS Nimitz. My favorite part? Watching two US Navy F-14 Tomcats waste two Japanese A6M Zeros. Hooah!!! [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by M60A1 (edited 24 December 2000).]

8. Gibson

Gibson Member

I cant narrow it down to just one--I've seen way to many [​IMG]

My favorites nonetheless are:

-Stalingrad (1993)
    -Cross of Iron (except the seen w/ the Russian women at the bridge)
    -Das Boot

Three of the greatest films ever made!

------------------

9. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

M60A1, I've seen that film The Final Countdown about 10 years ago, but I never really though of it as a war film until you brought it up again. It certainly is a cult classic, but did you know that it was adapted from a Japanese book/film that describes the complete opposite of this film. In the Japanese version, a modern Japanese carrier is warped back to 1942, and changes the course of WW2 completely. I'm not sure of the name, but I'm going to look into it.

10. M60A1

M60A1 Member

No, I wasn't aware of that. Any info you could provide would be most appreciated. I think that is most interesting, especially from the Japanese point of view. Thanks!

11. Ron

Ron Member

I thought that was a pretty cool movie...but ya know what stinks nothing really happened when the carrier was warped back to 41. Like i guess anti climactic... i wanted them to kick some ass being that at the time they felt so cocky!. oh well....but a japanese thing sounds really cool...very interesting! I was completly not aware of that.
    LOL they should make a movie in which a modern japanese carrier and modern US carrier are warped back and fight each other ...of course the US would would win!!! [​IMG] but that is just me!

------------------
    Admiral William "Bull" Halsey...

There are no great men, only great challenges that ordinary men are forced by circumstances to meet.

12. Killjoy

Killjoy Member

Kudos to Private Ryan for the Normandy Beach scene...WOW!!!
    Nonetheless, since we're speaking of fantasyland, here, I'd have to say my all-time faves were "Kelly's Heroes" and "Stalag 13"....
    YEAH, YEAH, YEAH.... I know the accuracy level and historical content are nil and hooey, respectively, but there's just some nutty appeal about a group of guys completely ignoring the war in order to pull a bank heist.... 'Oddball' the beatnik tank commander.... the schlocky POW-camp schtick, and the all-American Peter Graves turning out to be the Nazi plant... Bill Holden and his ludicrous chest of goodies...

OH! and let's not forget the classic "Catch-22"!!!

------------------
    Novus Ordo Seclorum

13. Otto

Kelly's Heroes is one of my favourites too. Clint Eastwood, (yes he did a WW2 film), is great in it. Also, it is the first western film to actually produce a vehicle that looks quite close to a Tiger I. I know, I know it's a modified T-34, but it looks great! The german speaking germans, as opposed to english with a german accent, and the overall feel of the film are great. This site will post a review of this film soon, I'll let you guys know when it's available.

14. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I heard that the movie: "The Bridge" was pretty good, anyone here see it yet?

15. Otto

Not me, but I plan to see it soon. I have heard a lot of good things about it.

16. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Dear Otto: Let me know what you think about it, if you see it before I do. I found a few places that can order it.

17. Sgt. Schultz

Sgt. Schultz Member

Definately my favorites are: Cross of Iron, Stalingrad and A Bridge Too Far.

18. PanzerMan

PanzerMan Member

Hi Guys,

Hmmmm..My fav movies are : The Great Escape, The Bridge over the River Kwai, Where Eagles Dare, Battle of the Bulge, A Bridge too far ( best!! ), Saving Private Ryan, The dirty Dozen, guns of Navarone, The longest day, When Trumpets Fade....

Just to name a few.

* Alvin *
    Alvin's Waffen SS Homepage
    http://alvinlee_81.homestead.com/home.html

19. Otto

That's a long list for a "few" [​IMG]

You know, I just love the whole WW2 film genre. Almost every one is great in it's own way. Think about it, in almost every film:

-fanatical/cruel enemies
    -great battle scenes
    -tons of historical innaccuracies to pick out
    -a hero
    -a patriotic speech

You gotta love it!

20. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

My answer is simple: Stalingrad, I give it 5 stars.