Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

What period?

Discussion in 'The Members Lounge' started by Moonchild, May 31, 2004.

1. Moonchild

Moonchild New Member

via TanksinWW2
    What period of WWII do you like most? And why?

I prefer last two years (1944, 1945). I'm fascinated by the destruction of sometghing great (the Third reich) and apocalyptic doom of the last battles...

2. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    The outset of the war 1940/41.

There are two main reasons for me, first this was the real revolutionary period of the war when almost all the accepted traditional dogma was blown clear away. It saw the first serious uses of carrier aviation, blitzkreig, the Stuka, the clear obsoletion of the Battleship and the concepts of static immobile warfare.

But also the romantic in me can't help finding the sheer desperation of the Allies struggle fascinating, the whole Battle of Britain kind of mentality, to me it just makes it all the more interesting.

3. mr.bluenote

mr.bluenote New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Hm, I'd go with 1941-42.

The war hangs in balance and it's truely a worldwide conflict with sea, air and land forces engaged almost everywhere.

Best regards!

- Bluenote.

4. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I'd have to agree with Moonchild. I'm always on the loser's side for some reason, and there has never been anyone who lost so huge as Germany and Japan in those last two years despite their truly amazing gains in the first few years. The contrast that this grave defeat was actually the right thing makes the period truly fascinating to me.

My 'specialty' among the many things you could know of WW2 is definitely the Ardennes offensive.

5. Greg Pitts

Greg Pitts New Member

via TanksinWW2
    North Africa 1941-1942.

Only in the desert could armored and mobile combat be conducted in the way it was taught. Complete mobility without the constraints of terrain restrictions, for the most part.

:smok:

6. PanzerProfile

PanzerProfile New Member

via TanksinWW2
    But what about the sand messing up the tracks and the dust messing up the air cooling systems of the engines? I'd prefer fighting on grounds like the Russian steppes; there is where I think the real tank battles were fought.
    Got to say: that doesn't go for winter in which this terrain turns into a pool of mudd and in winter when everything freezes stuck.

7. Ricky

Ricky Well-Known Member

via TanksinWW2
    I'm with Simon - the first few years were very much the 'exciting' sweeping away of all the pre-conceived tactical notions and outmoded concepts and equipment.

The latter half of the war was more of an 'uphill slog' to grind down the Axis countries.

8. SgtBob

SgtBob New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I agree with Bluenote. During these years, many battles were a fairly even fight decided by superior tactics and leadership.

9. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Yes, and their apocaliptic struggle to make every day last longer for teh Allies just fascinates me. From where comes the will to fight ater having been proclaimed beaten for two years?

10. corpcasselbury

corpcasselbury New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Same here, especially in the Pacific.

11. m-7

m-7 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I'd definatly say it would be the early naval war for the Medditeranean.

12. aquist

aquist recruit

via TanksinWW2
    Early war in Europe. The German uniforms and aircrft armor all are fascinating besides thats what I try to reenact if I can but late war is ok too because there are new weapons. I am not a Nazi but I like their stuff right down to the daggers and bayonets. Reenacting gives me the excuse to buy German stuff. some of my stuff is real early war articles. I have an original gas mask cannister, and knife fork and spoon dated 1941. Hey does anyone else out there share my fascination with German Militaria?

13. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Hey KP, congrats on being promoted! Yes, the German uniform with its many personal touches is a very interesting thing. However, I haven't seen any opportunity, yet, to collect genuine German militaria... Mostly because I can't smuggle those daggers over from Spain where I saw them :D

14. trackpin

trackpin New Member

via TanksinWW2
    what period

what a strange world, in Germany you can not wear any insignia of the Third Reich but, I can enter the Cologne Carnival Parade dressed as black people with a sign reading "NO MORE BLACKS".
    Then in England I can go into any fancy dress shop and hire a full SS uniform, but, I am not allowed to dress up as a "KENTUCKY MINSTREL"
    because of the racist laws.Can some one explain this?

15. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    It depends on what part of history you take more seriously; of course this is related to the culture of the given country.