Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

What you think of Russian warning of strike against the missile defence.

Discussion in 'The Stump' started by tomflorida, May 7, 2012.

1. tomflorida

tomflorida Member

Russia warns NATO it will strike first if shield is built
    What do you all think of this threat? Would you take it seriously? I for one am very surprised that Russian top generals would participate in such rhetoric. I reeminds me of the SU back in the Cold War days. I guess here we go again.

2. George Patton

George Patton Canadian Refugee

I think this is all BS. From what I gather, the Ruskies view Obama as being weak and they figure that by making a noise they can force whatever they want. This is all geopolitics, plain and simple.

I cannot imagine Russian attacking NATO under any circumstances -- missile shield or no missile shield. NATO made it through the volitile eras of Stalin and Brezhnev unscathed, and I think Putin is much more refined than the latter.

formerjughead likes this.
  3. Volga Boatman

Volga Boatman Dishonorably Discharged

horrific.....

4. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

I say: Bring it Ivan! Things were good during the cold war, except for that whole threat of global nuclear destruction thing. A military industrial based free market economy is based on fear of a tangible threat, the Russians represent that fear. The US stops exporting stuff to the Former Soviet Union and it's allies, Eastern Bloc Nations (I love that term) and things get better. The encourages out Allies and NATO member Nations to do the same and things get even better. Pretty soon gas is back down to an affordable level, unemployment drops, and the economy recovers. Frankly I think it is the best thing that could happen.

A-58, von Poop and Sloniksp like this.
  5. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

I dont think Obama has anything to do with Russias stance on the matter. These nagotiations have been going on for quite some time now (since Bush jr.) with no resolve. Russia feels threatened. What might U.S.'s reaction be if Russia puts similar missiles in say Cuba? ;)

There are others...

China and allies back Russia against U.S. missile shield | Reuters

Jusy sayin' :)

brndirt1 and formerjughead like this.
  6. TiredOldSoldier

TiredOldSoldier Ace

MAD assured some sort of peace for over 50 years, upsetting it runs the risk of triggering a new arms race. I understand that deploying ABM technology is a very temping thing in the face of emerging powers with a handful of warheads (hoping ABM wil completely stop a really massive strike is .... just hoping) but the risks of upsetting a fragile balance are pretty high. The Russians logically feel threatened by something that would limit their retaliation capability, unlikely they currently have the capability to do something about it, they have other economic priorities, but they have long memories and asymmetrical retaliations are always an option, expect a lot of support to any anti-US action in the near future if this goes forward.

The "mutually acceptable" way to remove the nuclear threat is simply to remove the nukes, but that would mean scrapping the big advantage NPT gives the original nuclear powers in favour of a more "equal rights" treaty, there'se no way to get real international consensus behind the current "we can have nukes and you can't and we dont't even have to renounce first use doctrine" treaties.

I also wonder how much the defence contractors that would benefit from the massive investments the ABM systems will need weight in the decision.

rkline56 likes this.
  7. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

They say Reagan brought down the USSR with massive Soviet military financing against the "Star Wars". Are they falling for the same trick just after 30 years?? At least it worked in the 1980´s. And if I recall correctly Mr Putin has said there will be massive amounts of money invested in the Army. I am sure the Russian generals are smiling. As well as the Arms sellers around the globe.

8. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

The only difference between the Cuba analogy and this one is that the missiles in Cuba in the sixties were offensive nuke tipped, the defensive shield missiles aren't. If the Russians put defensive shield missiles in Cuba today, I doubt the US would even blink an eye. We (America) haven't been too concerned about the SAMs in Cuba at any time, we don't intend to invade or attack Cuba since the nukes were removed. America is perfectly happy to see their economy take a dump without Soviet support. Cuba will eventually collapse just like its past partner the USSR did, maybe not the same way, and not as rapidly, but it will.

9. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

I agree.

From memory, I remember reading about 3 concerns that Russia had conerning these missiles.

1. These missiles and radar would cover as much as half of Russia and uncover sensetive info (says Russia).
    2. There is no clause in the contract/treaty preventing the increase in their numbers. Whats to prevent a dozen such missiles turning into 50 within 20yrs?
    3. These missiles are defensive in nature for now but whos to say that wont change?

These are the major concerns that Russia feels have not been addressed. I must admit I have not kept up with the story for a little bit so really am unaware how any of the above have been resolved.

Cheers

10. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

Almost exactly what I was going to say, Brad.
    I recently miss the cold war in many ways - nice politically constructed conflict with easily identifiable mostly conventional sides and a balance between the two (well, there might have been some porkies told here and there, but a theoretical balance at least). All under the ultimate arbiter umbrella of MAD meaning neither side was ever all that likely to push the button.
    Looks clean compared to the hodge-podge fluid mess of today.

Ain't nostalgia strange...

~A

11. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Bear in mind Putin's just been re-elected and needs to give the "useful idiots" some feedback.;)

12. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

[​IMG]

13. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Jeez, if ever any bloke needed a trainer bra.....:eek:

14. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

:D

15. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

There was a "joke" picture of Putin standing there during the swearing in process, and he kept not smiling, not doing anything really, but the comic guys put up a "cartoon bubble" that stated; "I really, really, REALLY want to take my shirt off!"

16. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

17. Victor Gomez

Victor Gomez Ace

In the former glory of the USSR, a bit of nostalgia is felt across the nation if Putin says something to the west that is reminiscent of the Soviets former supposed glory. By making rash statements and outrageous shows of power, he panders to some of his traditional support as they have a subconscious feeling of weakness of the nation having to give up the glories of the USSR dominance in the region years ago. It is somewhat a goal to regain some of that power in the region even if the world has left such things behind with their own interests being less vulnerable to Russia's wishes. Gordon is right about it meaning little but big talk to placate his old cronies. You can expect him to be extra loud in the same proportion of how weak the votes were for him.

18. tomflorida

tomflorida Member

But does anyone actually believe that Russia would strike against US assets in Poland or Romania (I think Czechs are out)?
    And isn't Poland and Romania free to make deals with the US. After all, Russia still has Ukraine between them and Poland, and Romania is just as far. I ask, what if Germany wanted (or do they already do have) such system. After all, its just a few hunderd miles West. I simply think that Russian is still insulted that Poland is part of NATO as opposed to the Warsaw Pact. I always hated that term.

19. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

So the Rooskie's say they will strike first if the missile defense system comes online eh. Shouldn't they make the hit BEFORE it is up? Maybe they ought to test a few of their missiles before they press the go button. This is nothing but saber rattling at it's best. North Korea does it all the time. Gonna have to break out "Dr. Strangelove" and watch it a few times now. I'm with you Brad, bring it Rooskie, bring it (if they still work).

20. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

I don't think Putin will do anything rash. He is engaged in some sabre-rattling for consumption in Russia. They do not have the kind of force that they did previously. They are not the threat they once were.