Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

What's the last movie you bought on DvD?

Discussion in 'WWII Films & TV' started by History-buff1944, Oct 25, 2012.

1. History-buff1944

History-buff1944 New Member

via War44
    Just bought: Night At the Museum w/ Ben Stiller, Jon Voigt? and Robin Williams. For $5 bucks--if it ant that good-well-at least im not losing much. However, I will be placing a large order through WB Studios for 6 of their MoD titles and will post here after I know what I want?

2. History-buff1944

via War44
    Another Copy of: Fort Massacre w/ Joel McCrea, John Russell, Denver Pyle, and Anthony Caruso. It's a classic US Cavalry vs Apache Indians western. McCrea is the lone surviving person of rank in his Troop who had been ambushed by a large Apache Indian party and cut to pieces. He leads a hand full of survivors who are also in search of their main column not knowing that they too--got chopped to pieces. Really is a good western with a few interesting twists to it. Not to spoil it but--John Russell--usually plays the bad guy in movies.

3. History-buff1944

via War44
    Hadnt had time to list this one but--ordered this one last week.

The Gallant Men TV series. It lasted only 1 season but had 26 episodes. This TV series was another networks answer to CBS's COMBAT TV series. As COMBAT took place in France--The Gallant Men took place in Italy. The small unit featured in the show had a War Correspondent who is Ernie Pyle--like--and the Correspondant travels with this unit through thick and thin. Ive never seen an episode from this series so dont know if I wasted my money or not? Ill give reviews on each episode I see when it arrives.

4. History-buff1944

via War44
    Final batch ordered just today:

Knights of the Round Table w/ Robert Taylor. Ive sen only bits of this movie but recall it was rather good. Will say more after I see it again.

Frisco Kid w/ James Cagney. Never seen before b y me but knowing Cagney--it WILL be a good movie.

Fort Dobbs w/ Clint Walker. It's another classic US Cavalry vs Indians Western. Ive never seen it but have been told by many its one of Clint Walker's best efforts.

Doughboys w/ Buster Keaton. It's one of Keatons Service Comedies. Ive seen only parts of it before and it is an excellent watch. Will say more on it too after viewing in full.

Berlin Express w/ Robert Ryan. Ive seen the ending of this one and it was excellent. Ill say more after viewing this in full. It was shot a couple years (on location) after WWII--so you will still see loads of destroyed structures and such--which gives it a great sense of realism.

One Minute To Zero w/ Robert Mitchum, Richard Egan and Charles McGraw. This was a well made movie about the Korean War. Being its been ages since I last saw it--I remember almost nothing and will give a bit on it after viewing.

5. Cabel1960

Cabel1960 recruit

via War44
    Thou i have seen it before we bought the DVD "The Pianist" with Adrien Brody. Thou in some parts the film is very slow with little action, overall i still find it a very good film. :thumb:

6. History-buff1944

via War44
    I might be ordering more DvDs later today to take advantage of another good sale going on.

Here is a bit on the: The Gallant Men TV Series.

Episode nr 1 wasnt spectacular but was good enough. What I noticed in it is that they used footage from a few war movies like: Breakthrough as well as A Force of Arms etc. The Breakthrough footage I saw used in Ep 1 was when they were hitting the beaches (that in Breakthrough--was for their landings in Normandy on D-Day) and I easily recognized the stuff from Breakthrough because you could easily I.D> a few actors in that movie whose brief seconds of exposure were used in Ep 1. I clearly saw the character: Hansen--who was wounded landing on Normandy beach and the two characters ordered by: Frank Lovejoy ( their Sergeant) to bring Hansen in. The: A Force of Arms footage I noticed--included less footage but it shows a German MG-34 team as well as Mortar Team--firing their weapons. In A Fore of Arms--they were firing at William Holden and others--NOT--members of the Gallant Men ;-))

Ep Nr 1 had William Windom as their guest star.
    Ep Nr 2--had Peter Breck as their guest. Ep 2 was also a VERY well done episode and much better than the first. I got past the fact that the first Ep of COMBAT--wasnt that good either but still well made.
    Ep Nr 3: The guest star in that ep was: Robert Conrad. This episode has been the best so far in ny opinion. Looking forward to watching the 4th Ep tonight.

7. History-buff1944

via War44
    Just purchased:

The: Joe McDoakes short subject (aka) 1 reelers) subjects which was 63 approx 10 to 15 minute long episodes that showed every day situations and life but in a hilarious way. Joe McDoakes was played bu Comic Actor: George O'Hanlon who--if you never heard of him? you will if you ever watched the space-ages 1960s animated series called: The Jetsons. O'Hanlon was the voice of George Jetson.

Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse which stars: Glenn Ford and and Lee J. Cobb. It's a war movie but never seen it--but has a good cast so SHOULD be entertaining in the least.

And finally:

What? No Beer w/ Buster Keaton and Jimmy Durante. Ive never seen this one before but--KNOWING Keaton and Durante like I do--it WILL be excellent!!

8. History-buff1944

via War44
    Also, just arrived and for fans of Western Movies (Christmas gift from a friend)

Monogram Western Collection Vol 1 w/ 9 Westerns:

1) Oklahoma Blues w/ Jimmy Wakely.
    2) Partners of the Sunset w/ Jimmy Wakely.
    3) Cowboy Cavalier w/ Jimmy Wakely.
    4) Gun Law Justice w/ Jimmy Wakely.
    5) Outlaw Gold w/ Johnny Mack Brown.
    6) Man From Sonora w/ Johnny Mack Brown.
    7) Oklahoma Justice w/ Johnny Mack Brown.
    8) Texas Lawman w/ Johnny Mack Brown.
    9) Cavalry Scout w/ Rod Cameron and Jim Davis.

9. History-buff1944

via War44
    Monogram Western Collection vol 2:

1) Fort Osage w/ Rod Cameron and Morris Ankrum.
    2) Wagons West w/ Rod Cameron, Noah Beery Jr. and Peggy Castle.
    3) Canyon Raiders w/ Whip Wilson, Al "Fuzzy" Knight and Phyllis Coates (one of the original Lois Lanes in the Republic Serials of the 40s)
    4) The Gunman w/ Whip Wilson, Al "Fuzzy" Night and Phyllis Coates and Rand Brooks.
    5) Stage To Blue River w/ Whip Wilson, Al "Fuzzy" Night and Phyllis Coates.
    6) Night Raiders w/ Whip Wilson, Al "Fuzzy" Night and Iron Eyes Cody.
    7) Montana Incident w/ Whip Wilson, Rand Brooks and the "other" original Lois Lane (Noel Neil.
    8) Wyoming Roundup w/ Whip Wilson and Phyllis Coates.

10. History-buff1944

via War44
    Because of price--just bought the Naked Gun trilogy as well as a 2 disc set for: Treasure of the Sierra Madre with/ Humphrey Bogart, Tim Holt, Bruce Bennett, Alfonso Bedoya, Barton MacCalne and Walter Huston. One of my all time most favorite movies with Bogie and Tim Holt and Bruce Bennett.

Favorite line as said by Alfonso Bedoya: "Badges? I don't got no badges--WE DONT NEED NO STEENKIN BADGES" :lol::botman::happy:

11. History-buff1944

via War44
    just bought these five--never have seen any of them before but--their previews look awesome:

The Spanish Main w/ Paul Henreid, Maureen O'Hara and Walter Slezak.

King Richard and the Crusades w/ Rex Harrison, George Sanders.

The Tartars w/ Victor Mature and Orson Wells.

At Swords Point w/ Cornel Wilde, Maureen O'Hara, Alan Hale Jr, and others.

Ambush w/ Robert Taylor, John Hodiak, John Mcintire, Don Taylor and Chief Thundercloud (who BTW--was the one who played Tonto ((the Lone Rangers Sidekick)) in the The Lone Ranger Serials of 1939 and 1940.

12. History-buff1944

via War44
    Pathfinders: In the Company of Strangers. The cast is unkn to me as ive never heard of any of them before but--have heard of this movie. It LOOKS good to me so hoping this impulse buy works out.:thumb:

This movie is about the Pathfinders from the 82nd Airborne Division who "Lead the Way" for the rest of the Paras and men who landed at and near the Normandy Beaches on D-Day. Looks good but sight unseen.

I would live to see a movie made about their "rivals" who were the pathfinders from the 101st Airborne Division known as "the Screaming Eagles." In particular--I would love to see it made about Sergeant Jake McNiece (SP?) and his men. I read the book on Sgt. Jake--and loved it. There are moments in the book that could more than rival a few comedy sketches done by Bob Hope and Bing Crosby. :lol::lol::lol::thumb::thumb:

13. martha88

martha88 New Member

via War44
    Great movie! I`ve seen it!

14. Fas

Fas New Member

now I bought a pianist. And honestly still impressed by this movie

15. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Two weeks ago I bought "Gorgo" and "The Giant Behemoth" on DVD from Amazon. Great double feature, London gets trashed twice.