Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

What's the last movie you watched?

Discussion in 'WWII Films & TV' started by History-buff1944, Oct 22, 2012.

1. History-buff1944

History-buff1944 New Member

via War44
    Figured this would be a fun thread by posting and finding out what you all just watched on the TV or the big screen. Ill start the ball rolling with:

Zeppelin w/ Michael York, Anton Differing and Elke Sommer. This movie is about a young British (Scottish) Captain who is basically forced into becoming a traitor and going over to the Germans. He makes his way to Germany and soon becomes involved with their Zeppelin program and goes on what was supposed to be a test run but one of the Colonels he is traveling with--hands the Airships Captain the sealed orders and tells him to head for Norway--where they restock fuel and then they head elsewhere and take on a special unit of Sappers so that they can make their way to a Scottish Castle where they attack it trying to get loads of documents and such. Before they attack the castle--von Richter (York) learns that when they took on that special sapper unit--they also brought on board many containers of Mustard Gas to be used on the Castle as well as Scottish Cities. He makes a plan and uses the Zeppelins telegraph/radio to send a message but is found out by the RTO guy and he is forced to kill in order to not be found out. The Castle of course has a small garrison of soldiers who try to stop the attack but most get killed in the process.

Poster and DvD art:
    [video]http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRCRmHfXqm5BY93zXpaQKwgXSQxhFQWh 4dcwwa1rN6AZEqzeGw5zBsaTCbPRQ[/video]

2. Cabel1960

Cabel1960 recruit

via War44
    Taken 2

A retired CIA agent travels across Europe and relies on his old skills to save his estranged daughter, who was kidnapped on a trip to Paris to be sold into prostitution.

Taken 2 (2012) - IMDb

A good film, but not as good as the 1st Movie. Sometimes these sequels are a film to many. :wtf:

3. History-buff1944

via War44
    I thought Liam Neesen was great in the first Taken--havent seen Taken 2--yet.:thumb:

4. History-buff1944

via War44
    PT-109 w/ Cliff Robertson, Robert Culp, James Gregory, Norman Fell, Ty Hardin, Michael Pate, and Robert Blake.

I dont have any images from this movie to share unless I get them from Google. A very well made movie about Lt. J.G. John F. Kennedy and his famed PT-109 actions in WWII. :thumb: Highly recommend this movie if you have not seen it? It is one of those Warner Brothers MoD DvD titles. MoD is: Made on Demand release.

5. Jim

Jim Active Member

via War44
    Don't get very much time to watch a good movie these days, but i do like films like "Gladiator, Sparticus etc" even the old War films such as The Longest Day, The Dambusters, Twelve O'clock High, Run Silent, Run Deep, and fianally one of my top films ... Zulu ... :thumb:

6. History-buff1944

via War44
    Nice list and I have one or more stills from some you list above.
    1-2 from Spartacus.
    About 18 from The Longest Day.
    One form 12 O 'Clock High.
    And a few from Zulu.

Im currently looking for some from: The 300 Spartans.

7. History-buff1944

via War44
    Didnt get a chance to watch a movie last night but--the next one is a great cold war movie called: The Journey w/ Yul Brynner as a Russian major, Deborah Kerr--as the civilian refugee he falls in love with, Jason Robards, Kurt Kaznar?? and Ron Howard before he was Opie Taylor on: The Andy Griffith Show. Story revolves around a group of Foreign tourists who get caught in Hungary when the Soviets invade. Really is an excellent movie and highly recommended. The only other thing I will say about this movie so as to NOT spoil it is--you will have a hard time trying to figure out of the Yul Brynner character is a good guy? or is a bad guy? You CANT make that decision till literally the last few seconds of the movie.:thumb::thumb:

8. History-buff1944

via War44
    Ok, watched these since the last time I had time to post.

1) The Eagle w/ Channing Tatum and Donald Sutherland. I was highly surprised at how good this movie was and the action and acting were top notch. What I was especially glad about was the few usages of gore in the movie--it was kept to a proper minimum. Highly Recommend this movie.

2) Earth vs the Flying Saucers which is one of those 1950s Ray Harryhausen Sci-Fi movies. Ray Harryhausen is known for his special effects and also did other classics like: The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad, Clash of the Titans, It Came From Beneath the Sea, and others.

3) Breakthrough w/ John Agar, Brian David, Paul Picerni, William Campbell and Frank Lovejoy. Great WWII movie dealing with the American 1st Infantry Division in WWII and the "green" Lieutenant who needs to be shown the ropes by his platoon Sergeant as well as his Company Commander. This movie is an excellent movie made back in the 1950s. The use of proper terminology and such was A-1.

9. History-buff1944

via War44
    The Last Legion w/ Colin Firth, Ben Kingsley. This is another movie that takes place within the ranks of the 9th Legion. This one started off a bit slow but quickly caught a gales of wind in its sails. For another new movie to not have loads of needless gore aand such--this one impressed me just like The Eagle did. It was very well made and very well acted. I highly recommend this movie too.

10. History-buff1944

via War44
    Judgement At Nuremberg w/ Spencer Tracy, Richard Widmark, Burt Lancaster, Werner Klemperer, Maximilian Schell, William Shatner, Montgomery Clift, Judy Garland, Marlene Dietrich, Howard Caine & Edward Binns. A most excellent movie with one hell of a cast. This movie ever remade--could never be near as great as the original.

11. History-buff1944

via War44
    Von Ryan's Express w/ Frank Sinatra, Edward Mulhare, Brad Dexter, Sergio Fantoni, Wolfgang Priess, Richard Bakalyan, Trevor Howard. What a hell of a movie with a great cast. :thumb::thumb:In honor of that movie--ill be posting some of my Von Ryan's images today.

12. History-buff1944

via War44
    Bridge Over the River Kwai w/ Sir Alec Guinness, William Holden, James Donald and Sessue Hayakawa. Sorry I have no images from this movie to post but--I am currently looking for some.

13. History-buff1944

via War44
    Bullitt w/ Steve McQueen, Robert Vaughn and Norman Fell. Im preparing myself to see the "King of Cool" on the big screen next Wednesday by watching some of his other movies. :happy:

14. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

via War44
    Watched Beneath Hill 60 recently

"Beneath Hill 60 is a 2010 Australian war film directed by Jeremy Sims and written by David Roach.

Set during World War I, the film tells the story of the 1st Australian Tunnelling Company’s effort to mine beneath a German bunker and detonate an explosive charge to aid the advance of British troops.[2] The screenplay is based on an account of the ordeal written by Captain Oliver Woodward,[3] who is portrayed by Brendan Cowell in the film.

Beneath Hill 60 was released in Australia on 15 April 2010. In July 2009 it was reported that there were plans to have the film showcased at the 2010 Cannes Film Festival."

Beneath Hill 60 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Beneath_Hill_60_Poster.jpg

15. Jim

Jim Active Member

via War44
    Sounds good JCFalkenbergIII, not seen many good WW1 movies about so will keep a look out when we next visit our local HMV store. :thumb:

16. History-buff1944

via War44
    Hi Robert--Ive been wanting to see that movie and hope to buy the DvD sometime soon.

I just watched: The Poseidon Adventure w/ Gene Hackman, Ernest Borgnine, Roddy McDowell, Arthur O'Connell, Leslie Neilsen, Stella Stevens, Pamela Sue Martin, Red Buttons and John Crawford. I was surprised when I opened this new DvD--because it is a 2-disc version one is extra features. The one with the movie on it includes a neat feature of its own which allows one as the movie progresses--to pause and they get a bit on those who are trying to survive as they make their way through certain rooms through the ship. You also see who dies where. This movie is Erwin Allen at his disasterous finest ;-)) This movie was better than I remembered but still so 1970s.......:rasp:

Earlier this morning--I watched a great Western by the name of: The Undefated w/ John Wayne, Rock Hudson, Bruce Cabot, Ben Johnson, Jan-Michael Vincent and so many other greats. I never tire of this Western ;-)):thumb::thumb:

17. History-buff1944

via War44
    The Undefeated w/ John Wayne, Rock Hudson, Jan-Michael Vincent, Ben Johnson and Bruce Cabot. An excellent excellent Western.

Springfield Rifle w/Gary Cooper, Alan Hale Jr. Lon Chaney Jr. Fess Parker, & Phil Carey. Another excellent excellent Western.

18. History-buff1944

via War44
    As of yesterday--I saw: The Great Escape w/ Steve McQueen, James Donald, James Garner, Donald Houston, Angus Lennie, David McCallum, James Coburn, Charles Bronson, Karl-Otto Alberty, Johannes Messmer and Nigel Stock.

Saw it played on the big screen (at the Theaters) and it was simply a great great experience. :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

This morning I saw: Halls of Montezuma w/ Richards: Widmark, Boone & Hylton, Robert Wagner, Bert Freed, Neville Brand, Karl Malden, Martin Milner, Jacks: Palance & Webb, Skip Homeier, Philip Ahn and Reginald Gardner. The movie was directed by the great: Lewis Milestone. This movie also is always a great experience even if this one was on the Small Screen (aka) at home on my 13 inch TV. :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

19. History-buff1944

via War44
    Breakthrough w/ John Agar, Frank Lovejoy, David Brian and Paul Picerni. This is an excellent made WWII War movie showing the first Infantry Division in action from Normandy through the Hedgerows and such. If you like War movies? this is a VERY well made war movie. Also, FYI. the gentleman who leads his tanks forward--was also in: The Tanks Are Coming who was also in that movie. He was the Technical Adviser in both movies as well as being both a WWII and Korean War Vet.

Also, The Tanks Are Coming has; Steve Cochran, Phil Carey, Paul Picerni and George O'Hanlon (aka the voice of) George Jetson in the cartoon TV Series: The Jetsons. The Tanks Are Coming is an excellent and pinched true story about Staff Sergeant Lafayette G. Pool, who was Americas top "Panzer" ace. He was in the 3rd Armored Division (Spearhead) and served till he lost a leg in Germany from a close hit from a large PAK Cannon.

20. History-buff1944

via War44
    Have seen many recently, including: Fort Massacre, Battleground, and several others.