Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Which Rifle?

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by bushmaster, Jan 31, 2018.

1. bushmaster

bushmaster Active Member

I'm in the market for a 22 magnum. I've narrowed my choices between a CZ and Savage B22 mag. I own a CZ 452FS and love it. Aesthetically, the CZ wins hands down and mine shoots magnificently but, being a poor country doctor, price figures into this. Does anyone have experience shooting both of these? Can the Savage measure up to the CZ in accuracy? Thanks for any help.

2. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Australia makes the Austeyr in .22...for training purposes...would love one of those.

3. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

I think the savage WILL measure up. I have one in .22LR - the FV-SR. Where it counts, the new (last ten years) Savage is magnificent; best factory trigger on the market and barrels that are done right. With good Eley target ammo, it puts the rounds in one ragged hole out to 100 yards.
    The CZ will do all of that as well. The trigger isn't as good (yet, still very good), but it's blued steel and walnut!
    The downside with the Savage, your conundrum, is that where it doesn't count it's a lot of plastic and metal stampings. I guess I would ask what the eventual purpose of the rifle is? Is it something to get passed down to a son or grandson? If so, then I'd get the CZ. If you just want a good target or varmint rifle without spending too much cash, the Savage will be perfect.
    Not helpful, eh? But, that's one of the things I consider when buying a gun. Is it an heirloom or a tool? Only you can decide that.

4. bushmaster

bushmaster Active Member

My thanks. It'll primarily be a shooter. Looks are important and I prefer wood and blued steel but, given the price difference, I can live with black on black provided the accuracy is on par.