Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Which Tank would you command?

Discussion in 'Armor and Armored Fighting Vehicles' started by dazzerjeep, Nov 19, 2010.

1. yan taylor

yan taylor Member

I know these AFVs are not Tanks (I will take the flak later and take cover), but I allways like the thought of a German Panzer Grenadier Regiment armed with,
    Jagdpanzer 38 (t) Hetzers (Anti-Tank Company)
    15cm Grille Sd.Kfz 138/1 38 (t) (Infantry Gun Company)
    Flakpanzer 38 (t) (AA Platoon)
    Flammpanzer 38 (t) (Engineer Company)
    I allways like the Hetzer it had all the components for hit and run tactics, I think I have 38 (t) crazy here, but think of the spares, they all virtually use the same parts, but its a bit of fun.
    Regards Yan.

2. CPL Punishment

CPL Punishment Member

I think I'll buck the trend and choose the M18 Hellcat, not exactly a tank, but a tank destroyer. OK, not much armor and you get wet and cold too often, but the excellent gun and unmatched mobility of the Hellcat gave it an admirable record against German armor, even against the Tiger, and this is born out by the actual combat records which show an overall 7 to 1 kill/loss ratio against enemy tanks. Statistically enemy infantry and artillery were more dangerous to the M18 than the Panther. Intelligently handled the Hellcat was a real killer (The tactical secrets were "shoot and scoot" and keep back about 1000 meters behind the forward edge of battle if possible.) The 76.2mm not only gave decent service in the anti-tank role, it was also effective as an infantry support gun. Flexibility made the M18 a more useful weapon for the Americans than the Panther was for the Germans.

[​IMG]
    This is an interesting picture, actually a still from a 16mm film. The Hellcat has just sent a round from its M1A2 L/55 gun. Note how the TD has rocked back on it's left-side suspension in recoil. Another interesting feature of the M18 was its engine, the ubiquitous Continental 975R radial, the same engine used in many Sherman marks. However, the installation in the Hellcat was much more sophisticated. In the Sherman the engine was mounted vertically, which dictated the high profile of the vehicle, a major weakness that wasn't addressed by any M4 variant. In the M18 the radial power plant was mounted horizontally allowing a much reduced overall height. Furthermore the M18 had roller-mounted support frames for the engine and transmission which gave complete service access to the mechanicals without the need of a hoist. A similar arrangement is still used in the M1 Abrams.

Here's an interesting aside: the Germans noticed a resemblance between the silhouette of the Hellcat and the Panther, and tried to exploit that similarity. In order to capture key American-held bridges in the Ardennes SS-Obersturmbannführer Otto Skorzeny was given the task of deep penetration using an armored force of captured American vehicles and disguised German armor called Panzer Brigade 150. Crewed by Germans wearing US battle dress, a few of whom spoke good American English, Panzer Brigade 150 lacked sufficient American hardware, a problem Skorzany addressed with disguise. With plenty of olive green paint and by adding a sheetmetal bustle to the turret a Panther could pose as an M18 Hellcat at least long enough to slip by the thinly manned US checkpoints. Some sources say Panzer Brigade 150's Panthers pretended to be M10 Wolverines, personally I'd say it's a take your pick disguise, though the short barrel of the M7 gun and the characteristic VVS suspension make the fake M10 conceit less convincing.

If not granted a Hellcat, I'll take an M36 Jackson... not as nearly as fast or sophisticated, but the 90mm gun makes up for the lack of speed, at least on paper (though speaking personally, nothing beats speed). No German AFV was immune to the Jackon's potent sting, including the most impressive cat of them all, the Jagdtiger.

von Poop likes this.
  3. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

Good post CPL Punishment!

4. CPL Punishment

CPL Punishment Member

Thanks, Price!

BTW, take a look at the redundant Allied recognition stars on the Hellcat's turret. I wonder if that extra star was added to help US bazooka men make the crucial Hellcat/Panther distinction.

5. Markus Becker

Markus Becker Member

1st place: M1 Combat Car. It never saw any action, so while you are getting your behinds shot off in places like Russia, I`m in the in the land of plenty training new tankers.

2nd place: Covenanter. That tank saw no action too but I´ll keep me very busy fixing it and I´m stuck on a foogy and rainy island. I hope they didn´t even ration beer. :eek:

3rd place: Neubaufahrzeug. It did see action but only once and that was in Norway.

If I have too choose some tank for actualy combat, it depends on the battlefield. A Matilda II would be nice in France 1940, an M3 Grant in the Western Desert or the Far East, in France 44 I´d like to have a Sherman Jumbo or the M-26.

6. dazzerjeep

dazzerjeep Member

There's a great deal of different vehicles here, not just the biggest and best and also some good info from others as to the reasons why :)

7. Gebirgsjaeger

Gebirgsjaeger Ace

Thats a easy question! I would be the commander of the tank and the crew that survived the war no matter which tank it was!;)

OK, OK, my choice would have been the Panther or the Pershing

8. dazzerjeep

dazzerjeep Member

So Ulrich which tank would it be then :D

9. Gebirgsjaeger

Gebirgsjaeger Ace

For the reason that i am close to 190cm and 104 Kg i would take the Panther for his extra space against the Pershing!:D

10. dazzerjeep

dazzerjeep Member

Like the choice alot my friend:)

11. Gebirgsjaeger

Gebirgsjaeger Ace

Thank you and if i´ll find it again someday, you´ll get a extra ride with it!

12. Spitfire_XIV

Spitfire_XIV Member

I'd probably want to be the commander of an M-10 Wolverine tank destroyer.

13. 4th wilts

4th wilts Member

I think I'd opt for the Cromwell,a good 'all rounder',just like Andrew flintoff.:).But like Von poop,you get what you are given.I used to dislike the Sherman,but overall,in all it's many models,I now have a grudging respect for it!,cheers.

14. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Member

What? No one is picking the Bob Semple tank? For shame!

15. leccy1

leccy1 Member

Not a fan of the Braithwaite Tank, slow, ponderous, big target. Wonder if the gravity feed could power a cannon?.

16. leccy1

leccy1 Member

For choices Churchill AVRE, heavy armour, big round and RE to boot.

If I were to choose a 'proper tank' then it would be the Comet, fast and with a good variant of the 17pdr. If you can chose ones that were built during the war but never saw combat then its easy 'Centurion'

17. Hufflepuff

Hufflepuff Semi-Frightening Mountain Goat

I would definitely choose the Panzer IV Ausf F2, Sherman Firefly, Comet, or Black Prince Tank.

18. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

I'm liking Black Prince as a suggestion.
    Few trials at Lulworth & Shoeburyness. Nobody shooting at you. Maybe even access to pubs - that's my kind of Tank war.

~A

19. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

Hinton on the green Worcestershire....Guarding the petrol tanks....Big gun to play with too...

20. 4th wilts

4th wilts Member

I went for the Cromwell not only for it's"all round"capability,but also because toward the end of the Normandy campaign,and subsequent breakout,the British armour came into it's own,showing finally how efficient the British army had become under C.O's like Montgomery,Horrocks,o'connor,Roberts etc,along with the"flying Arty"under,in particular A.V.M."Harry"Broadhurst.cheers