Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Which was a better round?

Discussion in 'Weapons & Technology in WWII' started by Will, Nov 2, 2002.

1. Will

Will recruit

Which was a better round?

.45 ball
    .9x19mm ball

William P.

2. Will

Will recruit

now when i asked which was better. I meant during wwii not modern. Beside as modern ammo goes I would take the .40s&w or 10mm any day. It has more power than a 9mm and more magazine capacity than a .45

3. mp38

mp38 Member

This poll will definately be split 50/50 I bet!

Half the people will pick the .45 for its' "stopping power".
    While the other half will pick the 9mm for its' accuracy, and reliability.

This debate has been going on for almost 100 years, and these two factors are always the main arguing points. It will never be resolved. Both sides stick to their favorites.

For modern rounds, I would have to agree with you that the .40S&W is very good, and also I would chose the .357Sig. 10mm is a sucky round!

Matt :cool:

[ 04. November 2002, 05:44 PM: Message edited by: mp38 ]

4. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

Agreed, mp38 - I nearly voted .45 from the 'stopping power' point of view but voted 9mm due to the fact that it was used in such a variety of weapons.

5. CrazyD

CrazyD Ace

Nice topic... tho' I bet mp38 is right- this is one of those that really dosen't have an easy answer.

A question, though... As far as pistol rounds goes, one of my favorites is the .357 magnum. Stopping power, reliability, and even in the case of the Mini-Eagle, the magazine capacity is up around 12 rounds or so.

But my question- has .357 ever been used militarily? Besides the occasional personal sidearm (Patton?), has anyone ever used this as a standard issue weapon?
    MPs?
    I'd be curious if anyone has any info...

6. Mustang

Mustang Member

I'd say that the better round was the one that hit the most targets. :D ;) :rolleyes:

[ 06. November 2002, 09:30 PM: Message edited by: Mustang ]

7. CrazyD

CrazyD Ace

:D :D :D

Hard to argue with that one, Mustang!!!

8. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

So.. that means the best round of all was the calibre .50 as fired by the P-51, eh Mustang ? ;) :rolleyes: :D

9. mp38

mp38 Member

Crazy,

As Far as I know no military issued firearms uses the .357 mag. The new .357Sig is a much better round, and may be used by Police or military units in the future (or even today?), but currently just about every military sidearm I can think of is chambered for the 9X19.

Patton also carried a Colt 1903 in .32ACP, beside his ivory handled .357 revolver!

Matt :cool:

10. Will

Will recruit

I thought patton's simi auto was a colt .380acp which was carried by many us generals except some like Bradly who carried a WWI M1911 acp. (Iv'e seen photoes of bradly's gun, it's definately not a m1911A1.

I think in Pattons two hosters were a s&w .357 that was a gift and a colt .45 peacemaker that was engraved and nickle plated.