Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Which Weapon Caused the Biggest Casualties in the War?

Discussion in 'Weapons & Technology in WWII' started by mac_bolan00, Mar 3, 2011.

1. mac_bolan00

mac_bolan00 Member

all i know is the Pentagon study of small arms during the 20th century, stating small arms accounted for only 5% of total casualties. so what was the chief cause for the remaining 95%? was is heavy bombers (include civilians since they constitute collateral damage)? exclude gas chambers (purposeful murder of civilians.) nukes probably dont even make the top-4.

numbers? ideas?

2. lwd

lwd Ace

How are you defining weapon? Looks to me like your are talking broad classes and in some cases delivery systems rather than the weapons themselves.

3. Johnny_Sideburns

Johnny_Sideburns Member

Were they Civilian and military deaths or just military. It important to know because 5% small arms casualties seems awefully low for straight military casualties. IMO.

4. dazzerjeep

dazzerjeep Member

Carpet bombing should be in there, Famin the cold anything could be there, Do you have a link or similar to the report as it's far too broard!

5. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

To my knowledge, artillery and mortar fire accounted for more casualties than small arms during WW2. I would not be surprised if this is still the case today.

6. belasar

belasar Court Jester

That has been my understanding as well, as for today perhaps mines/IED's are primary weapon for casualties?

7. Gebirgsjaeger

Gebirgsjaeger Ace

Simply, hunger! Look at the soldiers numbers which died by starvation in the POW Camps and at the frontlines in the case of the Wehrmacht at Stalingrad and other places

8. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

I'm going along with Slonik. I came across this snippet

As a weapon, artillery is the most lethal form of land-based armament. It now includes guns, howitzers, mortars, and rockets, primarily designed for indirect fire, and also anti-aircraft guns, surface-to-air, and surface-to-surface missiles. In the Napoleonic wars and WW I and II most fatalities—over 60 per cent on the western front in WW I—were caused by artillery. In the desert in WW II, where the hard rocky landscape enhanced the effect of the shells, the percentage rose to 75 per cent. Not for nothing did Stalin, whose artillery arm had a tradition of excellence, call it ‘the God of War’ in a 1944 speech. Furthermore, it is not a clean way to die. The injuries and mutilation caused by artillery, its capricious effects, its operators unseen, make it a hated and feared instrument of war.

Read more: artillery: Definition from Answers.com

This comes from The Oxford Companion to Military History. (bold is my addition)

9. belasar

belasar Court Jester

You are likely correct, but I suspect that the Pentagon report cited in the OP is limited to "Battlefield" combat casualties.

10. mac_bolan00

mac_bolan00 Member

here're my best qualifications:

1. a weapon or even a fully-integrated weapons system (say a carrier task force). exclude famine, disease, exposure, etc. these aren't weapons definitely, though military activity undoubtedly caused them. biological "weapons" must be included though.

2. in terms of casualty, i would prefer only warring parties (ok, soldiers!) but civilian casualties must be considered in things like bombing and artillery bombardment.

3. purposeful murder of civilians (all acts of atrocity) must be excluded.

regarding that 5%, it was part of the research made by the army/DOD while it was developing the m-4 carbine. a statistical analysis of all the wars from 1900 up to desert storm was made and the study yielded two curious facts:

1.0 small arms accounted for only 5% of war casualties.
    2.0 95% of small arms engagements occurred at a distance less than 200 meters.

ergo, out with the 10-pound battle rifle costing more than $3,000 and capable of killing the enemy at 600 meters. in with a carbine weighing only 4 1/2 pound bare, capable of killing to 300 meters, and costing only 1,500 bare.

11. T. A. Gardner

T. A. Gardner Genuine Chief

12. TacticalTank

TacticalTank Member

Are we talking about infantry weapons? bombs? murder trucks/ gas trucks? mines? there is so many things, you need to be a little more specific.

13. dazzerjeep

dazzerjeep Member

I totally agree it's too broard a subject

14. scrounger

scrounger Member

HI; It may not be a weapon in that it attacks either side equally, but one of the most lethal weapons of World War II and every conflict for the last 5000 years for that matter is insects especially the mosquito ( the bug not the plane ) ... For every casualty caused by enemy action i believe an equal number if not more got sick with such diseases as malaria and continue to do so .With all of our technology and the power to destroy we are still defeated time and time again by the humble mosquito .. It's kind of an H .G Wells- War of the worlds thing

15. yan taylor

yan taylor Member

Machine Guns if you decide to send troops over open ground like the Japanese and Russians did in Banzai and human wave attacks, but I also agree with the other guys, all weapons can have the ability to kill troops in scores in the right enviroment.

16. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

All armies of WW2 at one point or another sent their soldiers over open ground into enemy held positions.... GB, Germany and the U.S. are of no exceptions. Sometimes you simply have no choice and others out of desperation.

All had one thing in common, large casualties with artillery/mortar fire being the main culprate

17. LRusso216

I'm sure that the 5% figure in the original post took into account all of the "going over the top" casualties. That said, artillery accounted for the vast majority of the remaining 95%.

18. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

I think a quick study of the Battle of Long Tan should illuminate...

19. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

Perhaps I can provide some clarification.
    1.) The study is on military combat casualties, this excludes civilians, and non-combat casualties (disease, accidents,etc.)
    2.) I've quoted the study in several threads, the 70-75% casualties are from fragmentation producing weapons, this includes bombs, artillery, hand grenades, mortars, etc. and was gathered from casualty data. The doctors or graves registration personnel didn't concern themselves with what weapon actually caused the fragmentation. Just like a gunshot wound is a gunshot wound, they don't generally know if it came from an infantryman's rifle, a sniper or a machinegun. It could be/was further refined by after action reports, if the battle included artillery and mortars but no aircraft then you know bombs weren't a factor. It is impossible to tell from the data that the 2mm fragment that penetrated a soldiers brain housing group was from an artillery round or a mortar round. When the term casualties is used it includes killed and wounded, not just deaths.

gtblackwell and LJAd like this.
  20. LRusso216

Thanks, Price. I think that what you said follows along with the article I quoted in Post #8. I don't believe that the issue was what type of fragmentation device, so much as that it was these types of devices which accounted for the vast majority of casualties.