Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Which WW2 book should I start with?

Discussion in 'WWII Books & Publications' started by blbarclay, Feb 19, 2017.

1. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

I agree. A great read and a classic to boot.

2. Phantom of the Ruhr

Phantom of the Ruhr Member

I always liked The World at Arms: The Reader's Digest Illustrated History of World War II.

Otto likes this.
  3. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Great thread blbarclay. I appreciate the astute measure of asking those who have done some reading in this area for guidance.

I'll give yet another vote to the World At War episodes. The series does a very good job of covering WWII very comprehensively and with some very interesting content. There are a full 26 episodes, and they really take time to cover a wide spectrum of the conflict. The interviews are excellent and cover all levels of the command chain, and they provide great insights into the subject of the episode.

I will always remember the very last episode of the series entitled "Remember". It details the impact on civilians and post war impact, and was an important signpost in a transition in the way we study history (historiography). It was the first time I can recall any emphasis at all on the civilian population, rather than the same old battle-to-battle accounts of history.

blbarclay likes this.
  4. blbarclay

blbarclay New Member

Started watching these two nights ago (thanks youtube!)

Even though my wife takes no interest in history at all, she was glued to the telly as I was. They've done a terrific job with it, hard to believe it was created 40 odd years ago.

Otto and CAC like this.
  5. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Read books. Reading books has gone the way of the dinosaur, and our yoots have suffered.
    The internet is free. And it sells its nonsense for the same price.

6. lwd

lwd Ace

If you are interested in the Pacific the first few chapters of Shattered Sword which deal with some of the early war decision making and the politics within the Japanese government and military are worth reading. The whole book is IMO but after the first few chapters it focuses on Midway. There's also a very readable online account of Japan's naval war with China prior to 7 Dec which provides a lot of good background info on the Pacific. If you have trouble finding it I can look it up for you.

For Germany not one I'd recommend as the starter book (unless you are an economics major) but a very good background book is Wages of Destruction.

7. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Enjoy picking up old pocket books. Got a couple that were printed in the '50's. The pages are all yellow and brittle.
    The way the authors wrote, and their terminology/phrasing really brought me into their day and sentiment.
    Books on Iwo and Guadalcanal.

von Poop likes this.
  8. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

I have recommended this before but it doesn't hurt to again.... Soviet Storm on YouTube is fantastic.

9. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

From your list I started out with Lidell Hart's History of the Second World War. It covered a lot but not in detail. A good starting point in my opinion. Some of the books you have listed focus on one specific area of the war's timeline.

10. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

Been thinking about this and found myself coming to a similar conclusion to Poppy, having re-read Crisp's 'Brazen Chariots' yesterday.

Popular things published in the 50s and 60s, light memoirs, even novels by those who served - things regarded now as 'classics' -, might actually be better first entries than more serious history.
    Perhaps often to be approached with a little factual caution, but I'm not really thinking along those lines - more stuff that piques the interest in an engaging style.

The Phantom Major - Virginia Cowles
    Reach For The Sky - Paul Brickhill
    The Cruel Sea - Nicolas Monsarrat
    I Flew For The Fuhrer - Heinz Knoke
    Etc.

All have a certain charm, are quick reads, and, for me; led to further more serious reading.

Poppy likes this.
  11. Otto

I really like that book. Can you do a favour* (UK spelling for added influence) and post a copy of the cover of your version. I have my reasons.

12. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

Good enough?
    Happy to scan if quality required.
    IMG_20170324_195720633-01.jpeg

13. Otto

I appreciate it. I was hoping for a different cover, pocket books of that era came in several cover art iterations and I have a different one. The art is often done with oil paint have a gritty look to them. Yours is in that vein. I've more to post about this topic later, but I'll have to do it in another thread and not hijack this one.

14. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Thought it would be easy to take pic of cover for -
    'The Battle For Guadalcanal' by S Griffifth, 1966 and include in this post.
    But nooo.
    Any advice on how to screen grab or something, so I can easily transfer pic from phone to this thread?

15. Takao

Takao Ace

Google...
    Hardcover, first edition, 1963
    [​IMG]
    The paperback 1966 edition
    [​IMG]

Poppy likes this.
  16. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

I think that it would probably be best to start with wiki or google some other sites and read their general entries on WW1 and WW2 to get a basic background on those conflicts. Once you've got some sort of a handle on the subject matter, branch out into what particularly interests you the most. Most of these recommendations given here are fine and dandy, but if you have next to no idea of "who fought who about what, when, where and why", these books will not give you the proper understanding of those immense conflicts that changed and created the world that we live in today if that makes any sense.

Here's a good place to start:

Urban Dictionary: World War II

17. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Nice one MrT.
    How cool is that.
    My pocket books' front cover is a painting looking from the tree line out onto the beach and sea...there is a troop transport /assault ship.
    Several amphibious (Buffalos?) in the water.
    One has landed on the shore and is dispatching men who are running toward the tree line.
    It is a Ballantine War Book if that helps in finding that cover art.
    This phone is annoying...i would have been amazed at its abilities 20 years ago.
    Now I find it annoying.

18. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Also- the blurb was:
    "The guts and glory account of US Marines in the first great battle of the Pacific "