Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

"Whitey" Bulger Trial Evidence - mp40 Arsenal

Discussion in 'Small Arms and Edged Weapons' started by Otto, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

If you are in any way aware of mobsters in the US, you will have heard of James "Whitey" Bulger and his stranglehold on the Boston underworld during the 70's, 80's, & 90's. The mob boss was finally arrested in 2011 and on June 12, 2013 Bulger went on trial for nineteen alleged murders and a host of other crimes. I've included two photos released as evidence during the trial showing some of the weapons seized from Bulger's crew when they were originally apprehended. As you might imagine three of the weapons really caught my eye. I wonder if the mp40s were simply at hand, or if Bulger used the weapons for their ominous pedigree.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

Looks like there are a couple of P-38's in there and a couple of the knives look interesting as well, especially the one on the bottom. I'd also like to take a look a the .38 in the forground; I bet it came from the shoulder holster.

3. George Patton

George Patton Canadian Refugee

Interesting assortment. Note the old M16 upper, with the triangle handguards and what appears to be the 'birdcage' flash-hider. There's a few other WWII pieces in that photo:
    • 3 x MP40s (already noted)
    • 1 x M3 'Grease Gun' with a suppressor
    • 1 x M1 Carbine (it looks like an M1A1, but it could just as well be a M1 with a cut down stock and pistol grip grafted on, so I'll leave it at that)
    • 2 x P38s
    • The pistol at the bottom left corner could be WWII-era (Luger or Lahti?). Alternatively, it could be a Ruger Mark I/II/III. To my knowledge, these five pistols are the only one that have a grip at that angle.

4. TiredOldSoldier

TiredOldSoldier Ace

I think a number of Japanese pistols had similar grips but considering his fondness for German weapons I would vote for a Luger though I'm missing the safety that should be visible on a P 09..
    Is the top SMG in the second row an Ingram M10 ?

5. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

Definitely a Ruger because you can see the cocking projections at the rear of the receiver.

6. George Patton

George Patton Canadian Refugee

Looks like it. It also has the distinctive M10 silencer on the front.

7. chitoryu12

chitoryu12 recruit

Yeah, that's likely a MAC-10. I don't know if the civilian semi-auto copies are threaded for the Sionics suppressor.

8. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Is it an Ingram MAC-10? I always thought the MAC-10 was a US copy of the Ingram?

9. chitoryu12

chitoryu12 recruit

The Ingram, M10, and MAC-10 are the exact same thing. The official designation was the M10 and it was designed by Gordon Ingram, but it was made by the Military Armaments Company and thus often called the MAC-10.

There are also some civilian semi-auto pistol versions, such as the Cobray M11. Generally the only difference (apart from the Cobray's elongated receiver) is that they're converted to closed bolt to make them more difficult to convert to full auto illegally.

CAC likes this.
  10. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

The Syrian Army called, and it wants their weapons back...That Whitey, finger in every pot.