Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Who all on this forum-collects militaria?

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by C.Evans, May 23, 2001.

1. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

This includes photos, autographed photos, Medals and awards, uniforms-etc etc.

OR, am I alone?????????????????????????????

2. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Carl :

Fotos, autographed and otherwise.....almost anything Luftwaffe day fighter and night fighter. Recovered parts of Fw 190's. Books like I can't believe.

Erich B.

3. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Dear Erich: (Sigh) and thank god im not alone..

Anyone for what I believe to be a 1957 BDR Re-issue that I am trying to sell??

I guess im into too many areas of collecting.

Hats, Helmets, Flags, Tunics, Medals and Badges, Shoulderboards and Collartabs, Breast and sleeve Adlers, Knives, Daggars, Swords and Bayonnets, Photos, Books, Cufftitles, and now I am branching off into Imperial German Militaria :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: [​IMG] ;) :D

4. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I'm a collector, but my not a very big one. I would get mor einto it but I'm constantly scared away by the replicas.

5. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Otto, Carl :

Yeah a problem too of not having enough room for my books and trying to give my dear wife a little space in my office/den. Boy, you've brought up another interesting and most often overlooked topic.......replicas/fakes. boy this could lead to another discussion forum altogether. I've been very careful over the past 25 years, many times bringing the books with me when I have gone to militaria type shows, and private dealers to make sure I wasn't getting "chumped".

Erich B.

6. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Dear Otto: Just listen to ol'Sarge. I can steer you to dealers that do not sell fakes.

Detlev Niemann of Hamburg Germany, Janet and Alden Hamilton of Black Cross Militaria. I have never seen anything on their sites as being repo and that they were willing to sell.

Ive bought many good things from both places and others-over the years.

7. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

Just started

8. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

PzJgr

I remember back in the 1960's that EK I and II would sell for about $3. to 5.00 US and no more until the mid 1970's then all heck broke loose in the market and prices really jumped. Of course the fakes came into being as well.
    Good luck on your collecting, you will enjoy it, especially if you can purchase a medal or an item of clothing that you can do some research on. I was very fortunate back in 1968 when I picked up a Panzerschreck with shield and replacement glass for the shield for $10.00. Sitting outside weathering at an old army-surplus store. Now the item would be worth more than $1000.00 easily......crazy ......!

Erich B.

9. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Dear PzJgr: What do you collect? if you don't mind me asking?

You probably already know about my WW2 German stuff, and I am starting to look for Imperial items. If you are into German, I found a matching pair of Panzerjager Hauptmanns boards and I think they have the tabs with them. I don't remember the price, but it wasnt very high for such a set for sale especially a rarer type as for a panzerjager.

If I remember correctly, they belonged to a person who was in Pzjgr Rgmt 5, and has the gilted metal cyphers in them. I would get them myself but, I am in the process of buying some photos, and a few other interesting things. If interested-let me know and I will tell you where you can get them. :cool:

10. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

Yes, I know coming late in the game I will be paying more than if I had started earlier but I thought I was going to inherit my grandfather's awards and personal possessions of his service. I did not so I am trying to obtain his similar awards and his field grey wrapper uniform of that of Waffen-SS Obersturmbannfuhrer. Began his career as commander of a PAK Batterie and moved upwards to command a pzjgr abt. Ended the war as a young abteilungkommandeur in an understrength grenadier division with only his MP40 as his weapon and stragglers as his command.
    As much as he has shared with me, I feel like I need to find out more about his experiences. So, I am collecting that and photos. Perhaps, I may find one of him. Sorry for rambling, I must be getting it from Carl!!!!! [​IMG]

11. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

PzJgr

I hope you will do us all the honour when you have collected more on your grandfathers military career and post it here on this board.

beste Grüße

Erich B.

12. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

Vielen danke und ich werde.

13. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Dear PzJgr: I feel bad for you in not getting his decorations etc. In the wrong family members hands-and these items will get lost/stolen/broken etc.

I know this from family experiances. Get this: I had been lucky to save my grandfathers Doughboy hat, and all his WW2 medals one of which was given to only 5,000 men! Then I rescued my fathers swivel bale G.I. Helmet and two of his tunics from the trash bin.

Much worse is yet to come, get this one: About 18 yrs ago, we discovered a cousin we never knew about who was 88 at the time and living somewhere in Oklahoma. Well, her father had been a Confederate Cavalry Colonel in the Civil War. He lost his right arm during the battle of Shiloh (or as Yankees say Pittsburg Landing) She had a huge black wooded trunk that had his complete Confederate uniform and other things in it.

The trausers, shirt, frock coat, and overcoat were there along with his slouch hat, his gold-yellow sash, leathers sword sling-Confederate Dog River sword and Scabbard, 1858 colt navy revolver with belt-buckle and holster, extra hand-embroidered shoulder insignia, his dress Kepi, a nice pair of his cavalry boots and his Sheriffs badge from when he was a Sherrif in Dodge City!

Well, the cousin died and left the stuff to some relatives elsewhere. These idiots stored this stuff out in a fragging barn-on hangers. Well you can imagine what happened. Moths ate the S..., out of the wool clothing items, the gun and sword rusted to hell. What was left was thrown away--Grrrrrrrrrrrr.

Why would they just toss this stuff is beyond me. I have to mark it down as PURE STUPIDITY. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Do you realize at what these items are going for these days? A complete Confederate privates uniform was recently sold for $40,000 and was in shambles. The only thing that was wrong with the Col uniform was that there was some bloodstains where the arm injury was. All this stuff today could sell for about $200,000.

A Green/Grey SS Sturmbannfuhrers wrapper will go for about $3,500++++ easily.

PzJgr, glad to see my longwindedness is rubbing off [​IMG]

I second what Erich says.

14. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

Yes, they told me there was no will so my grandmother got everything. I was not a favorite of hers and she gave the militaria stuff to my cousin. I know the original medals and badges were buried with him at his request. He did have the replicas he had made for field wear and that is what my cousin inherited. My cousin did give me a luger pistol that has the firing pin missing. It will not shoot but the barrel is not plugged. It is in great condition. I know my grandfather preferred this pistol to the P-38s. I don't know how he got it. He was buried in his walking out dress uniform with all his medals. He was not allowed to be buried in Spain because of the uniform so he is buried in the U.S. The funeral was not large but there were some vets that he knew somehow. I did not speak with them. I was too young to know any better. I don't know what my cousin did with the medals, awards and photos. I lost contact with him. If I only knew then....geez.

15. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Sorry about that. This kinda thing seems to run in families: If it makes sence-it will not happen. This was a favorite saying of mine at my last job. So I do know where you are coming from.

If you ever get back in contacct with your cousin, you might see if he will be kind enough to giv eyou one. Private purchase items are usually much better made items. Some cases they are much more valuable than the original, such as in the case of Knights Crosses etc etc etc.

16. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

PzJgr, Carl

They say a foto or two are worth 1000 words, or something like that. Would love to see one or two pics of your grandfather in service uniform. that would get us all hyped up I am sure ! :cool:

Erich B

17. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I've been all hyped up ever since he first mentioned his Opa being an officer in the Waffen SS. :eek: :eek:

I'm having withdrawel symptoms now :eek: :eek: or it could be from all the caffeine i've had lately :confused: :confused: ;) :D

18. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

I have a small amount of photos but only one of him in his gray wrapper in Russia. I have no scanner though.

19. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

PzJgr :

well we need to get some copy(s) of that one or two pics I think ? Was he in an W-SS Sturmgeschutze unit or Panzerjäger ? What division may I ask ?

Grüß

E.

20. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

StuGIII unit. Started in 2nd SS and ended in 38th SS. Ended war as
    SS-Obersturmbannfuhrer.