Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Who can restore the drilling box

Discussion in 'Military Vehicle Restoration' started by archwire, Aug 5, 2010.

1. archwire

archwire recruit

Hi everyone, I have a luftwaffe drilling case that need a good restoration. Can anyone help me to find a person who can originally paint it. The case made of alluminim. This is not a vehicle of course, but I thought whoever can repaint and restore military vehicle, can help me to restore the case.
    Thank you
    Oleg

Attached Files:

2. archwire

archwire recruit

guys your are not much of a help. Anyone knows anyone who restores military items?

3. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Not everyone checks the forum every day.

4. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

archwire,
    Guess the 'restoration' forum hasn't seen much action lately.
    Sometimes if the "relic" is in good condition you may not want to (or need to), restore it. Any particular reason you want to 'spruce it up'? Looks to be in good condition. I don't have the expertise but someone will be along and hopefully be able to help you out. Of course they will need to know where you are. Nearly every country on Earth is represented here and you might not want to ship it half way around the World for a 'paint job'. Good luck.

5. AndyPants

AndyPants Ace

hello archwire,welcome to the forum,

in my own opinion, I think it looks great 'as is', and personnally wound'nt paint it or enhance it in anyway. if you do you risk loweing it's value, and even more importantly it's historical accuracy.

if you want a 'perfect' looking example for display/comparison, Im sure you could have one made, with a fresher paint job.

6. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

As the others have mentioned, it may be to your "disadvantage" to "spruce up" or restore this item. Sometimes (more often than not) that operation is of a detriment to the value of the item.

Unless it is in danger of "disappearing" to age, rust, corrosion, or something. Leave it alone. The historical "patina" is something that cannot be replaced once "restored".

7. Lampwick

Lampwick recruit

You should leave it as it is with the exception of the carrying handle. This could be replaced with the handle from an old leather suitcase (check your local thrift/charity shops). I looks as if all you need do is unscrew the end shrouds, probably accessable from the inside of the case, and Bob's your uncle. A pic of the inside would be interesting. Is it a Luftwaffe issue Drilling? Looking again at your pics I would suggest that the swastika was added at the same time as the stencilling. This you should look at to see if it would come off using a mild abrasive cream cleaner as used in kitchens.