Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Who does/did play wargames?

Discussion in 'PC and Console Simulations' started by talleyrand, Jan 21, 2002.

1. talleyrand

talleyrand Member

My favorite games:

Computer game: The Operational Art of War, COW
    Board game: Panzer Blitz
    Miniature: DBM

2. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Comp game "Eastern Front"
    Board game was "Squad Leader"

3. Ron

Ron Member

Video game: PTO (Pacific Theater of Operations)
    Board games: Salvo
    Queen of the skies (B-17 strat game)
    Tokyo Express (naval start game of batles around Guadalcanal)
    I forget name but a strat game on Pacific war. Mostly about the naval aspect...but does incorporate marine divs and air groups.

4. Mussolini

Mussolini Gaming Guru WW2|ORG Editor

Hm...this is a tought one.

Computer: The Operational Art of War Vol I and II (buying COW this weekend) and Sudden Strike Forever (SS2 looks even better and includes the Japanese)
    Board Game: Risk (only one i've played)
    Miniatures: Havent played any/own any WWII

5. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

Computer: Close Combat Eastern Front
    Board: Squad Leader Gamettes

6. Andreas Seidel

Andreas Seidel Member

What do you think would be the market potential of a new WW2 strategy game with battalion-sized units?

IE the player would be a division or corps commander.

7. Peppy

Peppy Idi Admin

Andreas, WW2 gaming is huge these days. I personally would love a game in that scale. Is this a project you are working on?

8. talleyrand

talleyrand Member

A well made computer game would sell.
    The days of boardgames are over.

9. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

I agree. Something at that level would be challenging and thus sell. I ususally look for games that are different each time they are played. For example, Age of Empires is excellent. Each time I go in, it is a different map so there is no pattern to memorize. Close Combat comes close but due to adherence to historical timeline, it does offer some sort of pattern as to where the enemy units are. I like surprises. A division level game would be great because then other aspects of battle come into play such as leading support and auxilary units such as supply, medical, vetinary, reserves, police, etc....

10. Mussolini

Mussolini Gaming Guru WW2|ORG Editor

The Operational Art of War Series is a great, well, series. Supplies, Artillery, Airsuperioty, Weather, etc contribute to game play, but the scenarios arent all that replayable. Most are historic a few hypothetical, but once you play them a few times, you get a sense of that the computer is going to do. Still, there are something like 5 difficulty levels (human advantage + 2, + 1, Normal, Comp Adv +1, +2) I still think it is a great game, espically by email.

Sudden Strike / Sudden Strike Forever is also a great game, controlling tanks, artillery, airplanes, paras, inf, etc through map (kinda like Age of Empires in a sense, much better though.) Scenarios/Campaigns are all replayable, the comp adjusting to your method of attacks and sending counterattacks himself. The AI is devasting when controlling Artilerry (en masse) and bunkering down in buildings etc. All campaigns are differnt - you lose a scenario the game takes a different path...and there are countless maps (to create or dl) for multiplayer (which can pit you 1v1 - 6v6 - 2 v 2 v 2 v 2 and other such combinations). In multiplayer you have to catch zeppelins for reinforcements (different colored Zeps bring in different kind of reinforcements) and in all of it, everything is destructable - oil tanks, bridges, trees, all house, grounded planes, everything. Great game - one of my favorite of all times. Cant wait for SS2 - the houses are more relistic in scale...control trains etc too..

11. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

Hmm...I will have to look that one up. Thanks.