Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Who Killed Comrade Stalin?

Discussion in 'Post War 1945-1955' started by Diana Köhler, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Diana Köhler

Diana Köhler Dishonorably Discharged

Fifty years ago, on 5 March 1953, the Soviet leader Josef Stalin died.
    His political life as a dictator who dominated millions has been minutely dissected over the decades. But his last days continue to provoke speculation and argument.

[​IMG]

Did he die of natural causes following a brain haemorrhage or was Stalin killed because he was about to plunge the Soviet Union into a war its people were in no position to fight?

heres the full story ;()

BBC NEWS | Europe | The mystery of Stalin's death

2. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Interesting link. The story of Stalin's Poisoning is an old one to be sure. The version I am familiar with is that he was killed to end his most recent purges and to protect the party elite who were concerned that they might find their names on a new list of victims. This version, to protect the world from WWIII is a new one to me. I usually find it hard to credit a 'lone voice in the wilderness' explanation to a mystery without more proof. Sometimes they are right, but often they are mearly pushing an agenda of their own. Whatever the cause of death, it does seem that his guards did not rush to his aid as one might expect, and that may be the best evidence that there is a little fire to this smoke.

3. Diana Köhler

Diana Köhler Dishonorably Discharged

yes, many historian said that Beria killed Stalin, but its very controversial :S

4. Gebirgsjaeger

Gebirgsjaeger Ace

The old soviet farmer boy did the most by himself for his death and there is no wonder why Lavrenty Beria and some others helped him to have success in this case. And in my opinion it wasn´t to early for that.

5. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

Could there have been a "plot" to get rid of that tyrant? Certainly. Will we ever know the motive (if the plot existed)? Unlikely. The very nature of the Soviet Union and its internal as well as external secrecy makes most concepts simple speculation. Some make sense, some are simply advancing personal agendas for personal reasons.

Stalin who was 74 after all had only recently dismissed his long-time personal physician; one Miron Vovsi as part of the "Doctor’s Plot". While Stalin had suffered a number of physical setbacks immediately post-war, and his retreating to his residence on the shores of the Crimea had brought his "general health" into question, it might have been his own paranoia which brought about his own demise. His "retreat" had left Molotov in charge nominally, and the man who gained and maintained his own position of power through intimidation and execution couldn’t allow this to continue.

He might not have needed to be "poisoned" specifically, his habit of massive eating and drinking bouts (which he had indulged in just previous to his demise) could have very easily brought about a stroke. Documents exist which seem to show that those in his immediate circle might have simply allowed Stalin to die by delaying medical help for many hours after learning he had suffered what appeared to be a serious stroke. Did they need a specific reason to do this? Not really, Stalin was getting more and more unpredictable and his "death without bullets" (or "natural causes"), might have easily been seen as a good thing.

Just my opinion here.

6. Overkilll

Overkilll Member

If someone were to kill him, they would have done it decades before. :lol:

7. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

8. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

That could certainly fit in with a stroke as the cause of death.

9. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

Socialized Health Care ?.....:rolleyes:

10. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

Only to the extent that the best socialized medicine in the history of the world goes to government heads. Everywhere, America especially. Ask Dick Cheney! He wouldn't be alive today without taxpayer dollars covering his health defects.

formerjughead likes this.
  11. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

My undrestanding is that he WAS poisened by his number two and three...He didn't die immediately but lay on his couch moaning and falling in and out of consciousness...there was great debate as to weather to call his Doctor or not...if he survived and they didn't call the doctor....the doctor was called after he died from memory. Stalin ws killing and imprisoning anyone even capable of stabbing him in the back, let alone anyone thought of as possibly plotting...

12. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

I just couldn't pass up the irony and double entendre.

13. Urban Fox

Urban Fox Member

The stroke killed him.:p

The Politburo was too scared to call for swift medical help, because if they had and Stalin had only fainted or was only mildly sick. He would have interpreted the very act of calling the doctors as an attempt by some Politburo members to seize power. It should be remembered that in 1953 Stalin's own physician had been arrested and tortured for simply suggesting he should rest far more often or outright retire.

Still even if doctors had been called immediately Stalin still would’ve died, he had suffered a major cerebral haemorrhage, had had several strokes/heat attacks and was suffering from high-blood pressure and arterial hardening.

Really, it's astonishing he didn’t die much sooner given his lifestyle, work-habits and years of mega-stress.

brndirt1 likes this.
  14. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

Agreed "Urban Fox", it is amazing that Stalin survived as long as he did with his life-style. But then again sometimes that type of driving "Alpha" personality is simply resilient and lives longer than expected. I also agree that his paranoia and fear of loosing control of the state he had stolen contributed to the lack of medical expertise he would accept.

The older he got, the more sure he was that his "cronies" were trying to kill him to seize power.

15. Urban Fox

Urban Fox Member

Seemed to be a common trait of Soviet leaders from that era Molotov, Malenkov and Iron Lazer all lived until the mid-to-late 1980's. Others like Khrushchev lasted ''only'' until the 1970's.

16. Goodse

Goodse recruit

I like this topic...After seemingly watching many documentaries, by the time Stalin dies the narrator just says, "Stalin passes away." And finally I find this topic. I also strongly believe Stalin was poisoned, I just wonder, 'HOW? else could he have oddly passed away?'

17. JeffinMNUSA

JeffinMNUSA Member

We will never know for sure but; A: Beria, B. The whole Politboro or some elements thereof, C. His Guards or some elements thereof, D. The Liquor E. Some of the above, F. All of the above. or G. None of the above; are all possible.