Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Who loves Halloween?

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by ULITHI, Oct 15, 2010.

1. ULITHI

ULITHI Ace

I know its still 16 days away, but I'm already getting excited.

I love Halloween. Each year my former boss creates a haunted house out of his two car garage. I have helped him and his wife set it up and run it almost every year since I was 16 years old. It's actually pretty good for being put on in a garage, and the kids come from miles around every year to go through it. We even get an occasional thank you note put in the mailbox from a child, which really makes it worthwhile.

I also love Halloween time because my wife and I first met at a pumpkin carving party at my former boss's house in 2004.

Two years later on Halloween night, I proposed to her in the aforementioned haunted house, right in the hidden compartment with the air hose to shoot people with. :D We got married a year later on October 7th.

Anyway, the reason I started this thread is that tonight we are starting on setting up the haunted house for this year and I'm excited.

Anyone else like Halloween and have some good stories to tell? Anyone have any favorite scary movies, costumes, candy, and such? :)

2. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

3. Totenkopf

Totenkopf אוּרִיאֵל

I am too old at this point, but I refuse to stay in! I'm making myself a Jedi robe for my costume!

4. ULITHI

ULITHI Ace

You never get too old for Halloween Dustin! ;)

I've got a creepy clear plastic clown mask that I covered in fake blood to wear around and look like a "Texas chainsaw type" character.

5. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I always get dressed up as a nun and mug bell ringers.

6. belasar

belasar Court Jester

I can't speak for anyone else, but the idea of Opana dressed like a nun gives me the heebee geebee's!

7. ULITHI

ULITHI Ace

I've seen your photo in the members gallery. I ain't sleeping well tonight! :eek: :D

8. OpanaPointer

I should update it with the Story Teller outfit I wear at the Endangered Wolf Center.

9. sunny971

sunny971 Ace

I got a horror Halloween story.

When I was a young kid, I was no more than 7-8 years old. Anyway, my parents are european and they are not really fans of halloween, so spending a lot of money on a costume was not going to happen. I wanted to be a ghost for halloween so we went to K-Mart to find a costume. it said ghost on the package. I liked it. I remember it was your typical white dress/robe with the pointy ridges. It had some sort of cape that went over the head with the 2 holes for the eyes. it looked pretty convincing, or at least we thought.

anyway, I went house to house trick or treating. I remember I went to one house and this guy answered the door.. he starts laughing at me... " holy crap" he says... he called his buddy over " hey, you got to see this" he says to his budddy. his buddy comes to the door and they both start laughing. "Look, it's the KKK!!!"

of course i had no idea what the KKK was at that age. so i corrected him and said I was a ghost. they just laughed at me and gave me candy.. I asked my mom what that was and she had no idea. Much later in life i found that costume in the garage... and yep... they were right, it looked like it belonged to the KKK!! with the pointy cape, holes for eyes and the white dress. So i threw it out and vowed to never buy anything from K-Mart ever again!!

True story.

funny now, yet slightly tramatizing!

ULITHI likes this.
  10. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Everyday I spend in Austin is Halloween on Steroids. Its normal to see freak shows going on all over the place.

11. ULITHI

ULITHI Ace

Suzie, did you ever see that Halloween episode of "South Park" where Eric dresses up as Hitler, gets in trouble with the principal, and then she dresses him up as a ghost that looks like a Klansman? If not, ya gotta see that one!

12. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

After my own children got into their own "teens' I lost most LOVE of Halloween for the fun of dressing up the kids and going "trick or treating", but I have always tried to have a selection of "treats" available for the little "ghosts and fairy princesses" who show up at my door.

Now, I try to give them a choice of reasonably "healthy" things like Quaker "Crispy" bars, the stuff that disappears is the stuff I like too, and why buy "goodies" you cannot dispose of yourself later?

So I buy those more often than not, "100 Grand" candy, "Twix PB", and Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. If not enough of the little guys/gals show up, I still like the "left-overs"!!!

13. luketdrifter

luketdrifter Ace

I will miss Halloween with the kiddies this year as I will be 4 hours away at a training class but as far as the whole deal is concerned, I'm over it. I enjoy the family trip to the apple orchard/pumpkin patch/petting zoo thing we do every year but the costumes and the driving around and all that...I can do without. Not really sad to miss out on it this year to tell the truth.

14. OpanaPointer

Okay, which "Halloween"? The original, with Jamie Lee, or Rob Zombie's remake?

15. ULITHI

ULITHI Ace

The scream queen all the way! The original is one of the greatest simple but affective horror movies ever made. Not much blood and guts, just a great buildup with classic lines.

16. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

17. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

"Love" is such a strong expression. I'll say I 'enjoy' Halloween. Where we live we don't get too many "Trick or Treater's" but always stock up on treats for the little Goblins that might show up just in case. And like Clint I reap the benefits of having plenty left over for myself.

18. OpanaPointer

So, did "Halloween II" work for you? I won't ask about "Halloween II: Season of the Witch", it was beyond bad.

19. macrusk

macrusk Proud Daughter of a Canadian WWII Veteran

When I got step-kids Halloween took off for me, and even though they are young adults now it is still something I get right into! Lots of treats for the kids. By next weekend the front yard will have decorations - although some are getting a little tired - although every year their is someone new who stops and laughs at the cemetery markers with the bad puns "Big Ben - He Ran Out of Time", final tweaks usually occur on Halloween itself usually as a result of whatever costume I wore to work on the last Friday before Halloween. Our workplace Social Committee usually sponsors a best costume and division prize. Last year the group I worked with did Star Trek, with various crew members. We converted the entry area and hallway into the bridge of the Enterprise, and I had CD's set up for sound effects by our door which the receptionist played when someone came in, and had a LCD projector & laptop playing a video with scenes of space on the front "screen". My boss was a Klingon, and I created some of his weaponry. I'm working with a different group that doesn't usually commit into group activities this year so we'll see what happens this year. Glad I have next weekend to spend on new ideas to go with the usual body parts....

20. f6fhellcat

f6fhellcat Member

personally, I want to try to hide around the house and scare potential trick-or-treaters or send pranksters crying home. Considering the fact that I live by a dead end, that doesn't seem likely. I remember my first halloween. I am still traumatized by it just a little. It all started at school and I was ridiculed all over for my costume. I really don't want to say anything further on that note. Anyway, I often use this as an excuse to watch a scary movie or make a prop for a costume I'm not even going to wear. I'm still trying to talk my folks into hosting a costume party, but unfortunately it can't last into the night hours since there's school the next day, not to mention that the time it takes to prepare the thing takes a lot of time and effort, something hard for my folks right now.