Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Why am I here?

Discussion in '☆☆ New Recruits ☆☆' started by MED, Jul 15, 2007.

1. MED

MED Member

Born in July 1957 & placed into adoption at less than 2 weeks old, I turn 50 on Tuesday 17th.
    The parents that adopted me, nurtured me & made me the person I am have now passed on.
    Nine months ago, by chance, I "bumped" into my natural mother on the internet and with a bit more digging, 6 months ago I found my late natural father's family - my natural parents never married.
    Two weeks ago, I was talking to my wife about her mother's first husband (who is not my wife's father) who died very early in that marriage. I had always thought "Bertie" was my wife's mother's first husband. He wasn't. "Bertie" was my wife's mother's brother who died as a POW on the Burma Railway in 1943, aged 23 - 12 years before my wife was born.
    I have found a relative on my natural father's side who died in The Great War & is remembered on The Menin Gate. My wife's uncle, Private 5950941 Albert Frederick MONK, 5th Bn. Bedfordshire & Hertfordshire Regiment is buried at Thanbyuzayat Cemetery in Burma.
    I am trying to find out as much as I can about "Bertie's War" so I can replace the abstract thoughts my Mother-in-Law has, about her late brother, with a few facts, but as painlessly as possible. She is frail & quite poorly and I would like her to know a bit about her brother, who died when she was 11, before she is re-united with him.
    I also want to find out about my relative who is remembered at Ypres.
    That's why I'm here.
    Any & all help in my quest will be gratefully received.
    Kindest regards
    MED

2. Za Rodinu

Za Rodinu Aquila non capit muscas

Welcome to the forum, I'm sure the members with knowledge in your area will be glad to help.

GRW likes this.
  3. Peppy

Peppy Idi Admin

Welcome MED! :S! Like Za said, there are lots of helpul members here. We also have a newly created geneological research area too, might be of some use.