Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Why did the Halftrack disappear?

Discussion in 'Post-World War 2 Armour' started by PanzerProfile, Aug 22, 2004.

1. scaramouche

scaramouche New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Agreed! they were indeed multi-faceted, versatile , cheap and easy to operate..Furthermore, they were indestructible. My favorite uncle purchased a family estate family upstate New York back in the late 50s, from teh executors of a couple which had died in an airline accident a few years before. Among the vehicles stahed away in one of the barns was a WW2 Dodge 3/4 "Weapons carrier". a Dodge ambulance, a Ford 1941 sedan (all still painted in US Army Olive -drab ) and an M3 half-track. According to the records, the former owner had purchased thee at a government auction back n 1956 for $100, $150, $40 and $500)-He was a collector it seems..My uncle retained the 3/4 ton "weapn carrier:(direct acestor of the M37) donated the sedan and abulance to a car museum upstate. He cold not figure out what to do with the 1/2 track..until January 1961, when two succesive snow-storms buried the entire state of New York, rom the falls to NYC.. (the first a 15-incher, the second a few days later 17 inches!) The only thing that moved down the New York Thruway that day was my uncle's 1/2 track.(it was cold and drafty though despite the tarpaulin!!) but he even rescued a police patrol car whch had skidded off the road. The winch on the fron fender of the 1/2 track was a very handy tool.. My uncle died in the 1970s, while l was in "Nam..and my cousin simply got rid of the old half-track(which was sadly neglected and rusted)by having a local scrap dealer cart it away for nothing.... have never forgiven him for that act of idiocy....

2. Wspauldo12

Wspauldo12 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I just have to say that that is SWEET :D :eek: ! I would kill (metaphorically) to have any type of authentic WWII stuff that works. I know a guy who uses and M1 Carbine to hunt deer.

The stuff about half tracks in servie is also really cool! I love this site!

3. scaramouche

scaramouche New Member

via TanksinWW2
    A personal note, if l may: When l was a teenager, one of my uncles purchased a large property upstate New York,.It included all the equipment, buildings,vehicles etc. I was 18 at the time..The property was large and there were no less than six barn-sized sheds- One of them contained an M3 1/.2 track, a 3/4 ton weapons carrier, and a Chevrlet 6 x 6 ( whose designation l forget.) , as well as a 1936 Chord and a 1941 Packard sedan..and other vehicles....Being a practical man, my uncle dispossed of the vehicles, but kept the 1/2 track..mainly for his own amuseent...It was decked out in its original olive drab, with US Army markings, had an original set of tools, three "Jerry" cans and after charging the battery, it ran like new..One one ocassion, during a blizzard in whih all traffic was banned from the New York State Thruway, he went out to rescue a police car which was stranded off the road. He made the local papers when he managed to pull the patriol car form a snowbank by simply using the winch on the front of the 1/2 track.After his death in the early 1970s, the vehicle was sold to a collector for a song.. :angry: :angry: ..

At any rate, here's a photo that was sent by a fellow in Chile-another country where where the half-tracks are still going strong, although not in their intended role, but as armored recovery vehicle-note the Browning .30 cal. mgs...

4. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Good to see the old White Halftrack in full glory! Thanks scaramouche.

"Third world" countries are truly a goldmine when you're looking for ancient materials that are still in use! You'd almost think the function of vehicles this old would be ceremonial... :grin:

5. scaramouche

scaramouche New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Glad you enjoyed the photo-somewhere in these enormous, (or is it hugemongous?) files there are some photos of Mexican and Paraguayan 1/2 tracks which are still in active use.I don't think the term "Third World"applies to countries like Argentina or Chile- developing nations would be probably more appropiate..By the way,, one doesn't have to go too far to see old vehicles in use: there's a DUKW amphibian that during the summer months carries tourists across the Potomac..Quite a ride!
    Best Regards

6. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    That's still pretty far for me, though. :wink:

I generally see Third World as a synonym for "Developing countries" or the most PC term "The South"; as merely a term to describe countries that aren't comparable to Western standards of living, without any added moral judgment.

7. Ricky

Ricky New Member

via TanksinWW2
    They have started DUKW tours around London & the Thames now...