Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Why do some people deny the holocaust?

Discussion in 'Concentration, Death Camps and Crimes Against Huma' started by Trip Jab, Jun 26, 2016.

1. Trip Jab

Trip Jab New Member

I met a few people the other day denying the holocaust. They didn't hate the Jews or anything like that (they tried to make that as clear as possible to everyone they talked to), they only denied the mass killings of them during world war 2. When I was going to ask them why they deny it they had to leave. Can anyone please explain to me why a person not believe the holocaust happened?

2. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Despite their claims about their feelings toward Jews, I think they are being disingenuous. Their motives are, at best. suspect. Here is a snippet from the US Holocaust Memorial Museum:

Why do people deny, distort, or misuse the Holocaust?
    Like all forms of propaganda, Holocaust denial, distortion, and misuse are strategies to achieve objectives, including:
    • To reduce perceived public sympathy to Jews,
    • To undermine the legitimacy of the State of Israel, which some believe was created as compensation for Jewish suffering during the Holocaust,
    • To plant seeds of doubt about Jews and the Holocaust, and
    • To draw attention to particular issues or viewpoints.
    https://www.ushmm.org/confront-antisemitism/holocaust-denial-and-distortion

You might also read this article from the same source. https://www.ushmm.org/wlc/en/article.php?ModuleId=10007273
    I find it interesting that when you sought t question them on their beliefs, they "had to leave".

DerGiLLster and gtblackwell like this.
  3. George Patton

George Patton Canadian Refugee

I'd recommend avoiding them in the future.

You'll likely find that they're anti-Semites despite what they say. The standard reaction of these people is to start with "Well, I don't hate the Jews, but _____" or "Some of my best friends are Jews, but ______". This approach in general applies to all bigots, racists, etc.

How convenient for them.

All in all these fellows sound like textbook neo-Nazis.

Tamino likes this.
  4. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

There is nothing more antisemitic than denying the Holocaust.

5. green slime

green slime Member

There generally a few different of agendas visible for people that try to deny the holocaust:

1) "White Power" types, for obvious reasons; they have a seriously warped view of history, and a gigantic chip on their shoulder. Received most of their education in comic-book format.
    2) "German Revisionists"; they belittle Nazi war crimes in general, and bemoan the Allied bombing campaign. Motto; Blame the French, the English and above all, the Poles for the war. Blaming Jews isn't really kosher any more.
    3) "Conspiracy theorists" of various ilks. All generally have a shortage of tin foil, and also have rather odd ideas on who the movers and shakers of History are. "Britain controls the US, and Jews did it to themselves to get Palestine..."

6. toki2

toki2 Active Member

If you are new to the site, I suggest that you put Holocaust and Denial in the search facility of the forums. The subject has already been discussed several times and may well answer your query.