Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Why I don't like John Wayne

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by charlie don't surf, Feb 15, 2003.

Tags:
  1. wtid45

wtid45 Ace

Nice duke list DA,i did not know he did so many earlier films i found a list the other day but all the early ones were missing and a silent movie to boot, here in the uk there is a magazine that comes out with a duke film with each issue but i dont know how many there are, will try to find out and see what issue it is up to.

2. wtid45

wtid45 Ace

As i post in the middle of watching the undefeated:cool: thats 4 duke films in about 7 days and i aint enjoyed so many a film in years:D

3. bigfun

bigfun Ace

My Father and I did that a while back, sat down and watched a few great Duke movies. It was like a flashback to who I was about 10, sitting there with Dad watching some of his favorites! It was great fun to re-live those memories!

4. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi D.A/ You might want to check out the eloborate John Ford collection that recently came out. This collection had some 24 or 27 movies? and costs about $300.00. Anyway, a few of the earlier Duke movies are in the collection if im not mistaken. Also just a few months ago, TCM played that entire collection in a massive movie marathon. I saw several of his earlier works-and they were all great. My favorite was one that was the story about John Wilkes Booth, and the Doctor who treateds his broken leg. The Doc was implicated in the plot simply because he treated Booth's broken leg-unknowingly that he had treated the man who assassinated Lincoln. The Doc (named Mud) was tried-almost executed but wound up being sentenced to prison. THe Chief of Guards was played most excellently by: John Carradine. He was a Sadistic Sergeant of the Prison Guard.

On Duke, your friend with the outstanding movie collection-has great taste. Duke has now been deceased for some 29 years-and is still in the top five most popular movie personalities of all-time. The other four are living and includes Clint Eastwood.

I used to have about 2,300 movies on VHS but, about 2 years ago, I gave away about 500 tapes. I now wish I had kept them at least until I can copy all of them to DvD.

5. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Any chance he is related to TCM's Robert Osborne? ;-D Just kidding.

6. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi wtid45, those are all good movies. Duke can be very funny in movies and I wished he'd made a few more of those types. One of my favorite characters in North To Alask was, Mickey Shaunessey (SP?) That guy is always a hoot. Everytime he said a cuss word-it would be blotted out perfectly by a whistle or something else. If they ever release: "Don't Go Near the Water" (a non-Duke movie with Mickey in it) Mickey is hilarious in that one and his role is much the same as in North To Alaska. BTW, Don't Go Near the Water is a Glenn Ford movie.

And you paying roughly $14 bucks for four good Duke movies, is a steal. I'm getting ready to place my final order from DDDvD .com until after my move-which is going to include at least four of Duke's movies including but not limited to: The Big Trail, The Quiet Man, and two others.

7. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I think he did some 167 movies that he appeared on screen, and dozens of others when he was a Prop Man and did not make any seen appearances. I'm currently trying to work with a friend of mine on finding out what those films were-just for curiosities sake.

I almost forgot to mention that the movie: Without Reservations, is more of a Bob Hope movie as Duke only did a cameo appearance in it. Same thing goes for: The Greatest Story Ever Told. Duke plays a Roman Centurian and spoke only one line-which was: "Truely He Was The Son Of God."

8. wtid45

wtid45 Ace

I know what you mean Big fun having watched an awful lot of duke films as a kid with my dad, it is a happy memory to be watching and so enjoying them almost, for the first time because it has been so long since i last watched the duke's movies.Have now watched 5 films in 7 days or so the commancheroes being the last one.And just as i turned the dvd off and put BBC4 on Fort apache had just started! watched 30 mins but had to go to bed as had early start in the morning:( must get the dvd.And tonight and during the week on tv and tcm she wore a yellow ribbon, rio grande, red river, the searchers, how the west was won, rio bravo as well as hondo, rooster cogburn and sands of iwo jima on sky if that enough duke to keep anyone happy i dont know what is:D

9. bigfun

bigfun Ace

You can say that again!!:)

10. Devilsadvocate

Devilsadvocate Ace

The list I posted came from a website which listed the movies in which John Wayne appeared whether he had a speaking part or not. In some of these movies he was simply a stunt double with no lines whatsoever, in others he was an extra, or had minor bit parts. Wayne is actually credited with appearing in 200 movies, some of which were silent films which no longer exist.

For a synopsis of each film on the list, see;
    John Wayne Movies

11. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

I've always loved The Comancheros and I can watch it again and again. I thought Whitman and Wayne went together well - 'Mon-sewer' and 'I ain't your 'friend' '.....;)

12. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

HI D.A/ Martin,

D.A/ you got that correct. I don't remember which title it was, but it was a silent movie in which his only on-screen appearance, was as a corpse in a casket. Definately no speaking part there ;-))

Martin, you have that right about the Comancheros, that's one of my all-time favorite Duke Western. Stuart Whitman and Duke really connected well both on and off-screen. It's a shame that Stuart Whitman only made two movies with Duke-the second one being: The Longest Day.

And speaking of The Comancheros, just saw it again over the past few days-twice actually. I never tire of that film either. I also thought that Duke and Lee Marvin both, did a great job in those scenes they were together in.

13. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

Marvin was just brilliant and it's always been a mystery to me as to why his role in the film was so very short....:confused:

14. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Smoke: I remember that Maude episode. I think I was eating frankenberries just before bedtime on the black and white, when JOHN WAYNE showed his mug...I was more shocked than Maude. ..I must say though that the Duke was not a great actor, rather that he did shine on occassion. I remember seeing Mc Q with me dad at the drive in .

15. wtid45

wtid45 Ace

Martin having recently watched the comancheros i could not agree more. The duke seems to gel well with most of his co stars and having read many of your posts with a chuckle i can imagine you and the duke sat in a bar swapping quips;)

16. Devilsadvocate

Devilsadvocate Ace

Possibly the 1931 movie "The Deceiver" in which Wayne's role was as the corpse of Ian Keith, one of the other actors. This was supposedly the revenge of Harry Cohen, the head of Columbia Studios at the time. Cohen and Wayne had allegedly been rivals for the affections of Laura LaPlante, an actress with whom Wayne had done another movie in 1931.

17. Devilsadvocate

Devilsadvocate Ace

In my opinion, Lee marvin was another very underrated actor, although he did win an Oscar for Best Actor in "Cat Ballou". Marvin also was a combat Marine in WW II, Having been badly wounded on Saipan in 1944, and medically discharged from the USMC as a result.

18. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

You got that right, Duke and Lee Marvin went together like Peanut-butter and Jelly. They were also great in: The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance & Donovan's Reef. I can't remember if they made four films together or not?

Also, the one major star that I know Duke didn't care much for was Kirk Douglas. Robert Mitchum reportedly said that he'd kill that S.o.B if they ever worked together again. I don't remember what their last film together was but, I could definately agree with Robert Mitchum ;-))

P.S, forgot to mention that the reason why MArvin's role was so short-is thanks to the studio head who had somekind of personal problem with Lee Marvin and that person was going to cut Lee MArvin completely out of the fillm but John Wayne stepped in and there was a compromise made. Lucky for us that Duke had much "pull" around the studios. I don't know exactly how much footage was edited but I heard it was about 25 minutes that was edited. There was also supposed to be more on-screen time for the guy who played (Ed McBain) who was character actor: Gwinn "Big Boy" Williams.

19. wtid45

wtid45 Ace

Have to say now i have started buying the duke's films i cant stop:) must say i so enjoyed the quiet man when i watched it last week. Sat there watching what is truly a classic and the fight! never tire of waiting for the duke to drag M O H across the countryside to fight V M.And so yesterday i bought Big jake and it was just great did the duke's sons do any other films with him? And carl i am convinced there is another duke film with a campfire scene and mention of food coz having watched big jake it does not bring up the memory i mentioned in my earlier post.maybe my mind and time playing tricks eh;)

20. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi Wtid45, It's addicting aint it? ;-)) Im getting ready to take advantage of a 20% off sale that DeepDiscount.com - DVDs, Blu-ray, HD DVD, CDs, Books, Video Games and more has going on now till Sunday the 22nd. I've got about ten Duke and John Ford titles im buying this time out ;-))

Yep, those fight scenes in TQM between Duke and Victor.M are classic. One of the members on one fo the John Wayne sites I belong to, lives only a few miles from where they filmed TQM at. Emmanuel has also gone to the newly opened Pub that is named after the Pub shown in the movie.

Did you know that the "Pub" used in the movie was actually a GAs Station? No puns intended. ;-))

Speaking of campfire scenes, I remember others from other Duke films and some are in movies filmed in black & white.

There were campfire scenes in: The Searchers (color) Red River (Black & White) Rio Lobo (color) Cahill: U.S. Marshal (color), The Undefeated (color) There are probably others but I can't think of them at this time.