Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Why was U-571 so crap!

Discussion in 'WWII Films & TV' started by Madcap7, Aug 16, 2001.

1. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

thanks friedrich and Jumbo--I watch as many Forign movies as I do H-wood made movies. SO I have seen a good amount of movies with the Brits as heroes, and non-bungeling oafs.

From the dustbins--also known as my memory:

ANZACS--the war down under.
    Waltzing Matilda.
    The Desert Rats.
    Raid on Rommel.
    Beneath Us the Waves.
    D-Day--the 6th of June.
    Dunkirk.
    The Four Feathers (the original movie)
    Battle of Britain.
    The Lighthorsemen.
    Breaker Morant.
    Road to Cairo.
    Sink the Bismarck.
    Persuit of the Graf Spee.
    Hitler.
    Hitler, the last 10 days.
    The Bunker.
    Something ??? but not serious (I cant remember the exact name.
    Too late, the Hero.
    Dawn patrol--the first make and next remake.
    Desert patrol.
    The lost Patrol--both versions.

And im sure there are many others that I have not mentioned--these are just off the top of my head.

Oh I also forgot--Gallipoli.

I know, I know--some are Aussia and Kiwi made, but they are excellent none the less. [​IMG]

2. Knight Templar

Knight Templar Miserable Cretin

Don't forget ZULU and The Longest Day.

Of course, the 4 toughest American movie soldiers could mop up the room with that entire list of Brit movie soldiers!

Robert Mitchum
    Lee Marvin
    Charles Bronson
    Robert Ryan

3. Kiwi Ace

Kiwi Ace Member

The best New Zealand made flim

Lord Of the Rings!!!!!

opps not quite WW2 ;) :D [​IMG]

4. Jumbo_Wilson

Jumbo_Wilson Member

Knight Templar

How many of that thoughtfully provided list are

A) Still alive
    B) Last saw action in a war film produced by Hollywood

Oh, who mentioned Heterosexuality? I only mentioned effete, a very different thing indeed. Nevertheless I note with surprise the presence of Michael Redgrave. He and Dirk Bogarde starred in a film called "The Sea Shall not Have Them". Noel Coward pointed out that this was unfair as everyone else had. Also note Michael York's performance in Cabaret...And since when were Alec Guiness, Ralph Richardson or Trevor Howard Britains answer to Clint Eastwood. Somehow I can't see David Niven saying "Go ahead punk, make my day"

Mr Evans

How many of your list are actually "Hollywood" films? Most of them seem to be British films, in many cases over 20 years old.

The Longest Day and A Bridge Too Far were very good films because they, at least, spread the heroism around - even to the Germans. In the latter case the presence of Richard "don't Dickie me ducky" Attenborough might have helped a bit.

Jumbo

5. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Charles Bronson is still alive and is in his 70's. He served in the US Navy in ww2 ( Charles Buchinsky ) Lee Marvin was a US Marine in ww2 was on Iwo Jima. Robert Mitchum never served and I dont think Robert Ryan ever did either.

Michael Caine did serve in the British military--in the Korean War. I dont think Connery ever served in the military--but he was once a Gravedigger. James Mason--yet another of my Fav British actors--as well as the above mentioned. Alce Guinness another Fav--specially as Obi Wan Kenobi :D Trevor Howard--another all-time fav of mine. Anthony Quayle--recently deceased--another fav. Jack Hawkins--another fav of mine. Richard Burton--would be in the top 5 of my fav actors from the UK. David Niven--another all-time fav. Errol Flynn--of course--and he was and will ALWAYS be, the BEST Robin Hood and a good General George Armstrong Custer Basil Rathbone--another fav--especially as he was in Dawn Patrol with Niven and Flynn. I dont like Plummer but he is a good actor. Michael York--another fav. Harry Andrews--will always be a fav of mine as well. But dont forget John Mills--he was most excellent in the 1950s version of Titanic and was very good in the movie: Dunkirk .

[ 16 October 2002, 01:57 PM: Message edited by: C.Evans ]

6. Knight Templar

Jumbo,
    I didn't know that you were referring to modern actors.

I'm not going to parse words with you regarding "effete" or what have you. I'll use "hetero" in quotes, if that's better. I believe that you're saying Americans see the British (in film) as delicate and efeminate.
    (That must be why they call it The British Disease)
    "Effete" literally means "worn out." I don't know if that's what you really mean to convey.

I'm talking about these actors as they appeared as soldiers.
    David Niven was very good in Dawn Patrol.
    There was nothing "effete" or whatever about Michael Redgrave in Battle of Britain.
    Michael York was a soldier in several films. What about Zeppelin? Alec Guiness in Bridge on the River Kwai? These guys were great.
    Of course, Clint Eastwood, Bronson, or Mitchum could kick them all out of town. But... they're... Americans... you know?

7. CrazyD

CrazyD Ace

effete, adj., 1. no longer capable of producing; spent and sterile. 2. lacking vigor, force of character, moral stamina, etc.; decadent, soft, overrefined, etc.

Clarification on what effete actually means, from your local intellectual toxic waste dump.
    :D :D :D

8. Knight Templar

We stereotype British men as decadent, soft, and overrefined.
    That would be correct.
    We don't necessarily stereotype them as homosexual, unmanly, or effeminate.
    I will admit, though--that when they're not soldiers, these sterotypes may very well apply (speaking about Hollywood.)

9. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hello Jumbo--it was my intention to list as many British made movies as I could. I like all of these and have most if not all on tape. Soon as I buy a DVD player--im getting all of these on DVD too. :D I like movies made in the UK as much as I like good American made flicks.

10. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Knight--i'm curious, what is the reason for showing showing the "In distress" flag?

11. Jumbo_Wilson

Jumbo_Wilson Member

Knight

I think Redgrave has about 2 minutes in BoB, handing a staff report to Dowding...

Of course I'm not critical of the actors, they are all very talented. But they are also how Hollywood likes it's Brits, and to a certain extent how Britain has liked to see itself portrayed: unflappable, cool and collected whilst the Yanks chew cigars, shout a lot and fire off ammunition as if it's going out of fashion.

The best examples are the classic war films produced in Britain in the 50's: all stiff upper lips and comic-opera Nazis. Should come with a Health warning "Do not take seriously under any circumstances".

Jumbo

12. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

'Ach, zo, Herr Vilson'

as Anton Diffring may have said.... :D

13. Knight Templar

Dear Jumbo,

OK. I am sincerely impressed: that you would remember the two minute scene in BoB with Michael Redgrave (you caught me on that one... I was pushing things a bit with MR :rolleyes: )
    Yes, again: Hollywood's American soldiers are more of the Sgt. Rock variety, while the Brits are more restrained and refined.
    I should add, however, that as restrained/refined soldiers go, the British certainly can't be beat.
    Gregory Peck fit this mold, but couldn't compete against Christopher Plummer, for example.
    Then, there are the tough, yet refined soldiers, such as James Coburn or Steve McQueen: both superb.
    Favorite Germans, anyone?
    I would bestow high honors on Curt Jurgens, with Max von Sydow second.
    Hardy Kruger third and Maximillian Schell fourth.

14. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

I preffer the cold and classy Brits and the stupid and classy krauts (I have finally used that bloody words...) than unclassy, gum chewers American supermen... [​IMG]

15. JagdtigerI

JagdtigerI Ace

I thought that U-571 was a good movie, I enjoyed it. It is nice sometimes to just watch a movie and not think about the historical accuracy.

C.Evans likes this.
  16. bigfun

bigfun Ace

I agree! This is one of my all time favorite movies! I have watched it several times! Sometimes I just want to be entertained! This movie does it for me!!

17. Hufflepuff

Hufflepuff Semi-Frightening Mountain Goat

Same here. I really enjoyed it

18. krieg

krieg Ace

a lot of mixted thorts on this film but i will haft to say i liked it ..7/10
    best krieg

19. skunk works

skunk works Ace

I didn't mind it. Any war movie is better than reality TV.
    The "tug-boat" destroyer was cheap. So what, it was still OK.:)

20. redcoat

redcoat Ace