Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Why was U-571 so crap!

Discussion in 'WWII Films & TV' started by Madcap7, Aug 16, 2001.

1. Tomcat

Tomcat The One From Down Under

2. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

Some sensible responses there.....

3. Za Rodinu

Za Rodinu Aquila non capit muscas

4. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

5. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Thank you and have a nice day. The above, is what i've been saying for years now about this film. Kudos Jagdtiger.......

6. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Sorry Martin, one of the rare times I have to disagree with you on something. Being that this film is nothing but fiction, I never could and still do not understand why a [fictional] movie is so well hated? Also, as i've mentioned God knowns how many times in the past, that this film did indeed in the ending credits, did in fact credit the Royal Navy with being the first ones to nab an Enigma from the Germans. The ending credits also mentioned a few other instances where the Royal Navy grabbed Enigmas before the American grabbed theirs.

So in short, as a film meant to be only [fictional in purpose] based on very few facts-does not have to be historically correct. Now, had the whole film had been based only on facts, and the facts grossly abused, and the movie being the way it is, only then would I too have hated this film. I watched it only for the purpose of entertainment-not for historical accuracy. Also, I did not watch this movie as a collector of WWII German Militaria. If I did, this movie would have still missed the mark-but still would not have been too bad aof a film.

If this is the case, I wonder what those who would have watched movies like: Charge of the Light Brigade (the Flynn version) The Alamo, The Longest Day, Guadalcanal Diary, Patton and many other big war films, would say for how historically accurate all of these movies were/are.

Also, I like The Enemy Below, it's merely a fictional movie based on few facts. If I based this movie on how correct the uniforms and insignia etc were, then i'd be somewhat disappointed. However, I thought the cast were all great, and the action was excellent as well. The Germans uniforms were atrocious-same as the uniforms were in movies like: Where Eagles Dare-which is another movie I really like-but not for historical reasons.