Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Wildlife Sanctuary Bid for Explosives Factory

Discussion in 'WWII Today' started by GRW, Jul 26, 2022.

1. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Always wanted to visit this place. No idea if any buildings remain though.
    "An abandoned area, which was once home to Scotland's largest explosives factory, should be given special status to protect its diverse and fascinating wildlife, campaigners have said.
    The Ardeer peninsula, between Irvine and Stevenston, contains dunes, grassland, woodlands and wetlands.
    It is also home to more than 1,000 invertebrate species and rare plants.
    The Ardeer Action group said it should become a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI).
    The group, made up of local community groups and national organisations such as RSPB Scotland, Buglife, the Scottish Wildlife Trust and Plantlife Scotland, has written an extensive report on why the area should become a SSSI."
    www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-62306330

2. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Repurposing is good! I used to volunteer at the Endangered Wolf Center (endangeredwolfcenter.org). The facility and the parent facility (Washington University, St. Louis) share space that used to an ammunition testing/transfer site in WWII.

3. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

I am glad we have so much nature. And wild life. Wonder if there is massive loads of led in those ammunition testing sides? Nobody buys the site in Finland where our officers were taught to fight as there is so much led after some 100 years.

[​IMG]

GRW and OpanaPointer like this.
  4. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

I'd imagine there'll be heavy metals of some kind in the soil, Kai, but hopefully easily removed. The former Royal Ordnance Factory at Bishopton, near Glasgow, now has houses on it, although some of the original structures have been preserved for posterity.

Kai-Petri likes this.