Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Will the SLR return to the British Army?

Discussion in 'Military History' started by GRW, Sep 12, 2021.

1. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Found this on the Veterans News UK site on FB, but can't find the story anywhere else. No link to the original story either.
    "SLR due to return to the British Army!!!
    After 35 years out of circulation, the famous Self Loading Rifle is due to return to service for British Army Troops.
    The SLR-A2, a 7.62mm weapon, will feature a modernised rail system and extended 30-round magazine.
    This change comes after years of continuous failings of the Army’s current weapon system, the SA80, which was found to be much less powerful.
    “We had a major issue with stopping power with the SA80” said Lt Gen Ian Wallace, Deputy Director of Defense Armaments, “The weapons system was simply not powerful enough to put down the enemy. With the new SLR-A2, you can guarantee that it will not fail with that task.”
    While there is no current date announced for its integration, the news of the SLR’s return has been met with approval by both serving soldiers and veterans alike.
    “It’s good to have a real man’s weapon back in the army” said Gary Lavelle, 64, formerly of the Light Infantry.
    Some questions have been raised by critics lf the weapon system, with claims that the current generation of soldiers may struggle with the recoil from a larger calibre."

2. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

I hate to say "i told you so"....but i told you so. 5.56 is not an anti-personnel round. Good on Britain for biting the bullet (pun intended).

[​IMG]

This was/is a heavy weapon, made heavier with the 30 round mag...this has implications for females using the weapon IMO. The Australian Steyr in theory can be made 7.62 instead of 5.56...Not sure if any change would be made.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2021
  3. the_diego

the_diego Active Member

Choppers, APCs, and other troop transports had better prepare to get dinged around the edges of the doors and hatches. That was one problem with the old SLR (and the newer APCs.)

4. GRW

Saw what you did there. ;)
    Strangely enough, had the exact same conversation with my Falklands vet mate in the pub a few weeks ago.

5. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

There was push back at the time...most Infantry didn't want the 5.56 - But Australia had to tow the line and be compatible. Vietnam and both Gulf/Afganistan wars were fought with 5.56 - and look how they turned out. So many stories of people getting hit and 5 minutes later popping up again and re-joining the firing line. 7.62 puts you on your arse and keeps you there. You have to carry less ammo (due to weight) but you will need less in the long run. 7.62 will go through trees and most walls.
    I think the new rifle should have plastic stock etc to lighten it. And a recoil reduction system should be incorporated. Perhaps a thought for full auto also.
    Britain is no slouch when coming up with a new weapon, i'd like to think they will design and bulid a purpose built weapon rather than make do with an older model. A knock on Germany's door for some assistance...i'm getting ahead of myself i know.

ColHessler likes this.
  6. Owen

Owen O

The Army already has a 7.62 rifle. The L129A1

Whoever wrote the original text in post #1 spelt defence incorrectly.

How old is that article ?

''Lt Gen Ian Wallace, Deputy Director of Defense Armaments'' I think that is a made up person & department. Defence is spelt the US way & cannot find an officer with that name & rank.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
  7. GRW