Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Winged Words, published in 1941

Discussion in 'Air War in Western Europe 1939 - 1945' started by Fred Wilson, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Fred Wilson

Fred Wilson "The" Rogue of Rogues

I noticed a sig from one of our members: (I will credit the source when I find it.)
    While we're waiting for CloDo to be optimised. Updated 15 4 2011. - Topic

Fantastic read. Lost the better part of a week on it. (-: Very very good collection of pictures included.

"Winged Words, published in 1941. It contains the verbatim transcripts of some of 150 broadcasts made by RAF officers and airmen and the WAAF for the BBC.
    They make fascinating reading, complete with misconceptions of the time. Some of them mention operations and personnel familiar to us, others are long forgotten.
    I thought posting them here might make the wait for BoB SoW seem a little shorter. The first is from December 1939, the last February 1941." ​

2. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

Another one well worth looking out for is 'Over To You - New Broadcasts By The RAF' ( HMSO 1943 ).This includes John Nettleton's own account of his VC action on the Augsburg Raid.

3. Fred Wilson

Someone has cloned "Winged Words" in order to preserve it. (This version less the two other short books tacked onto the above link.)
    Well worth the read.

A time capsule of the first year or so of the war.

"Winged Words, published in 1941.
    It contains the verbatim transcripts of some of 150 broadcasts made by RAF officers and airmen and the WAAF for the BBC.
    They make fascinating reading, complete with misconceptions of the time.
    Some of them mention operations and personnel familiar to us, others are long forgotten.
    The first is from December 1939, the last February 1941."

"A good read but as with all genuine wartime books you had to sift through the propaganda.
    I seem to recall it was full of aircrew recounting jolly japes in which squadrons of Blenheims, Battles (Dear God!) and the like gave the Hun a ruddy good thrashing..."

See: While we're waiting for CloDo. Final installment and end of thread. 14 5 2011. - SimHQ Forums

4. Fred Wilson

The original thread posting of Winged Words with its excellent collections of pictures and memorabilia While we're waiting for CloDo. Final installment and end of thread. 14 5 2011. | Forums - Page 16
    finishes off with excerpts (?) from:

‘We speak from the air’. 1942
    ‘Raiders Overhead a Diary of the London Blitz’ By ARP Warden Barbara Nixon published in 1943.
    'Fleet Air Arm The Admiralty Account of Naval Air Operations' published in 1943.
    'The official account of the Battle of Britain.' Published in 1941.
    From ‘Find, Fix and Strike - The Work of the Fleet Air Arm’ by Terence Horsley. Published in 1943.
    ‘Over to You - New Broadcasts by the R.A.F.’ Published in 1943 price ninepence net.
    ‘Battle Stories of the RAF’ by Leonard R. Gribble, published in 1945.