Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Winter 1941/1942 Alexandrowka

Discussion in 'Eastern Europe' started by Hecke, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Hecke

Hecke Active Member

Original Photo from my collection ,marked as
    Trotz Kälte und Schnee gehts vorwärts--März 1942 Alexandrowka

View attachment 24271

Attached Files:

2. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Member Emeritus

What a beautiful "washed out" photo. It makes the Mark IV look like it is on the Eastern front , extra gas cans anf track on the front. Nice image.

3. Hecke

Hecke Active Member

The Tank is AT the eastern Front..its not washed out,its the snow that gave the Photo that washed out look

4. George Patton

George Patton Canadian Refugee

Nice photo, but I have to correct you. The photo is washed out (overexposed). This isn't a surprise exposing photos in heavy snow is tricky compared to non-snow environments. The snow alone doesn't account for the appearence of the photo.

5. Hecke

Hecke Active Member

Hm...but its Winter and definetly Cold if you take a look AT the soldier...maybe its washed out plus the Tank is in the snow...

6. green slime

green slime Member

That an image appears "washed out" can occur during the capture of the exposure (a common mistake), during development of the negative (not so common), or during the development of the photo (either purposefully, or by lack of experience).

Photos also fade over time, but especially if they weren't "fixed" properly; this can also lead to an image looking washed out.

Given panzer itself is quite detailed, with the commander, note also the area to the immediate rear of the panzer is clearly background, visible and quite dark, I do not think this image was overexposed. I'm inclined to think this image has been deliberately masked, to create the appearance. It does appear to be snowing, by the small white dashes. This "snowfall", could also be recreated in the darkroom quite easily, however.

George Patton likes this.
  7. gtblackwell

What is this snow stuff ?, Can I see it in Alabama ? Is it like dandruff ? Seriously my first camera was a post war German Exakta which I traded inn on a Nikon Photomic F. Speaking of trying to get correct exposures, don't try a Photomic :). I agree with Mr. Slime. I think it was deliberately masked out but cannot tell for sure. It could be over exposed , just not knowledgeable enough.

About snow, I have seen it all over but very little down here so not familiar with how one compensates for all that glare.

I do like the photograph for what I see, quite a bit and enjoyed the comments. The local camera shop told me my Nikon D300s was an antique and I told him so was I, a perfect match. I did not bite on an 800, his intent.

Gaines

8. TiredOldSoldier

TiredOldSoldier Ace

I'm still using a Leica M3 wjth lenses "inherited" from a Leica C, what does that make me ?

9. gtblackwell

A most discerning gentleman ! You have a fine camera with excellent glass ! I finally switched to digital for it's ease but admire those that stayed with film. I use my camera in my work and take and email hundreds of shots to and from distant sites so it is a tool to me. If I tried to do fine photography I would prefer film.
    ciao,

Gaines