Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Wish I could have fought in WWII...

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by GoMBoS, Sep 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WalkerBulldog

WalkerBulldog Member

Hopefully we will never get to world war 11, but there are plenty of opportunities to fight in Iraq and Afghanistan right now and plenty of recruiting offices that will supply you with all the garnades and thotes to slit that you could want.

And the way it's looking it's possible these wars will still be going on 10 years from now when you turn 18 so just be patient! :rolleyes:

Sloniksp likes this.
  2. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

"Will we git bazookas too?"

3. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

Notice that schoust is no longer with us LOL. :rolleyes: .

4. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

I just had to through that in. Not too terribly long ago I was in a conversation about current anti-tank weapons used by the US Army as opposed to the types used when I was still on active duty (1977-80) with some friends. The question came up about the bazooka, as if it was still being used. Some people watch too many movies and play too many video games.

5. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

No kidding. LOL. Looks like it lowers the spelling abilities too.

6. wtid45

wtid45 Ace

eh wot da u meen:rolleyes:;)

7. dusky

dusky Member

I remotely understand where he's coming from. I'm also 16 and sometimes think to myself what if I could fight in the war. But then I actually think about, and even though I believe I would jump to serve, I would bet my opinions would be changed the minute I actually see action.

8. H.ALTAIR

H.ALTAIR Member

I STRONGLY AGREE MY FRIEND .

9. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

:rolleyes: Ignorance of what the difference between reality and fantasy is is pretty apparent.

10. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

I presume you would then press pause and run to the bathroom as you noticed the straw you had in your mouth which you were drinking coke from fell on your pajama pants due to the excitement from killing all of those bad bad men.

Sorry I couldn't resist. :D

P.S.

What is "thotes"?

11. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

I think he meant "Throats" LOL. And he didn't last here long.

12. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

I thought this thread had been dumped long ago, sad that it hasn't ............

I go back to my post, none of you want to serve in that war or any other in a combat situation ........ period !

Sloniksp likes this.
  13. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

I wholeheartedly agree with you Erich. Seems that some 16 year olds don't understand that.

14. billswagger

billswagger Member

I hear what you're saying. It would be pretty cool to fly a p-47 over Europe.
    I'm not in the military, nor do i plan on being in the service. Both my grandpa and father were. Gramps was a tail gunner in WW2, and my father flew helicopters in Vietnam.
    Both have a different perspective on war, especially considering they were in the air where it was tougher to get shot.
    but no matter what, war takes its toll, because you often see friends get hurt or die.
    People you had breakfast with, don't make it back for dinner.
    Pluss...being 18 years old in the tail of a bomber, with 109s shooting live rounds at you, then trying to crash into your bird is something noone really wants to have to relive.

I think, nowadays, technology has made war less catastrophic, at least for the winning side. Most bombs hit their intended targets, and we can do so from miles away..

There are still a lot of guys that work in the mud, and deal with the heart ache on the front lines, but i can't really speak of that cause i really don't know or haven't read up on what has gone on in Iraq, on that level.

As for WW2, i think it was a different era, and many people consider that generation the "greatest generation"
    If you know of anyone from that era, stay close to them, because they can teach you an interesting perspective, considering that most of them also lived through The Great Depression.

See my "Fighter Ace" post if you want to check out a decent ww2 combat flight sim.

Bill

15. Heidi

Heidi Dishonorably Discharged

I would love too be apart of History including fighting in ww2. Fighting with our grandparents ,i would be thrilled.

TAta Hiedi

16. Tomcat

Tomcat The One From Down Under

You are kidding right? If anything war has become worse, with the ablility to kill more in shorter time frames with less force.

As for the bombs hitting I have heard about a saying when it comes to cluster bombs that goes "The only thing certain about clusters is that they hit the ground" Meaning they don't know where they could end up.

17. sturmtiger

sturmtiger Member

If you go to combat I hope no one ever surrenders to you or comes face to face with you

18. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

Anyone who talks like that would probably never enlist to begin with....especially during a shootin' war....

Sloniksp likes this.
  19. topyob

topyob Member

I remember thinking like that when I joined the British Army at 16. I never saw active service but being shot at on exercise by someone you couldn't see and hearing rounds zip past you and hit the ground nearby was enough to convince me that war is no fun. However, I have long been facinated by events in WW2 and very much enjoy the anecdotes of those who lived through it, especially my uncle who was one of the last 68 2nd parachute battalion men captured at Arnhem Bridge in Sept 1944 when they ran out of ammo waiting for relief.

I also enjoy reading about the war in the Pacific as it is so different from the war in Europe or elsewhere.

Just a thought here. If war were fought by men in their forties, like me, would there be any wars at all. It is the "I'm never going to die" impetuosity of youth that makes young men such willing cannon fodder.

20. AndyPants

AndyPants Ace

oh, you have my full attenion!..............please would you tell some more about your uncle's story (if you don't mind) - would love to hear about it :)

AndyPants

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.