Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

World of Tanks

Discussion in 'PC and Console Simulations' started by KJ Jr, Jan 20, 2014.

1. TheStormyM

TheStormyM New Member

Hi everyone.
    I am new to the forums here... but quite an old hand at WoT. ( I said old hand not expert - i play for fun).
    I have been playing for maybe 3-4years there! (and my wife still hasnt left me!).
    I occasionally put gold on there to lash out on a tank. I have a full range of tier I upto and including tier X tanks. I prefer playing TD or SPGs... occasionally Heavies. Your gameplay and tactics have to change accordingly just as in real life. I think at last count i had 25 or 26 different tanks.
    I must say that recently on WoT there have been two rather dubious "updates". The more recent has seen an undisclosed "nerfing" of some of the tanks on there. As a result i know of at least 4 people switching over to start on WarThunder. I myself am sceptical after years of gameplay but will also be downloading WT next weekend to give it a look!

2. TheStormyM

TheStormyM New Member

I tried WarThunder... but not for very long. After the initial downloading i entered my login and tried to read up on controls.. far far too complicated. The mouse movement was also far too sluggish.
    After trying 3 times to enter into a game it seemed my computer was not up to running the high end graphic specs required.
    So, now deleted.
    Back to WoT. :)

3. Admiral_Humaid

Admiral_Humaid New Member

Depends...War Thunder hands too much to the player making it less realistic such as the aiming recticle and the physics are more for game play and in my opinion games such as War Thunder or WoT should focus on realism and physics.. The good thing about WarThunder is that it is easy to use. The fact they are incorporating a tank and navy version within war thunder is interesting compared to War Gaming separate Launchers but shared premium currency which undoubtedly Gajini will have to incorporate.

WoT is one of those games that when explaining to a friends they are like..."Yah...Totally got you pal...." and wakes away with a bemused expression. It takes time to understadn teh underlining basics and once you've got that done well, not much to say. The bad parts of WoT is above, good? Absoultely everything but the nerfs.

4. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

It's buggered up looking for Tank info on the Internerd a bit.
    So well-placed in terms of Google results that you have to wade through reams of teen nonsense to get to some grit on a given subject.
    Not saying there aren't some fine tank-nerds on their forums etc., far from it, even some great spin-off nerdy sites; but there's a goodly level of cack that's right at the top of the search results.

5. Admiral_Humaid

Admiral_Humaid New Member

You can kill guys with premium tanks as easily as normal tanks if your Artillary (Insert Smug face) ;) Yes, I admit it, I am a scumbag.

TheStormyM likes this.
  6. AmericanEagle

AmericanEagle Member

I've been playing WoT for about 3 months on the Xbox360 and have been totally immersed in it since I started playing. 5 different countries represented with a large varied amount of tanks to choose from for most countries, French tanks are newest and not a huge selection. You can choose light tanks, medium tanks, heavy tanks, tank destroyers, or artillery. Free to play for Xbox Gold members and they keep it going with regular updates providing new maps and tanks and operations that vary that help boost silver(money) and experience to help you move up the tech ladders a little faster. Best option if you want to get the most out of it is to purchase a Premiuim Account which gives you more experience and silver in each battle. Personally, I think they have some things off as the King Tiger is not nearly as formidable as I would have expected. They have tanks that never made it off the blueprints as the highest tier tanks, so can't say how accurate that part of the game is. I can easily spend hours at a time playing and still want to keep playing, but by 3 in the morning it's time to shut it down. With an Xbox Gold account and it being a free download and free to play, it's worth playing in my opnion.

7. rkline56

rkline56 USS Oklahoma City CG5

Cool AE been at it a year and a half. Went up the E-100 and IS-7 lines. Getting better with my Tiger and Tiger 2 as the crews gain perks. Like the IS and IS-3 and KV-1.
    I do not spend much on it at all on the on line version. Am in the EVO Clan with some old friends.

The programmers seem to favor Russian tanks power but US are coming up:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SauZfLSovCk

I have had problems with T-57 autoloaders as well. Derp on mate. The video action starts about the 20 minute mark after a detailed introduction to the tank.

8. rkline56

Your shot hit percentage is important and rack up those damage points. Don't follow the lemmings and pick your spot to set up ambush with good cover. Hard to get a good win rate in the public matches. Platoon with friends who have your back or clan up.
    IMHO. Oh yes, there are many hackers and cheaters, as in all on line games. Beware the disappearing targets - poof. Sometimes you can still get a hit on one if their hack is less effective - pffft :afv_matilda2:

9. Up From Marseille

Up From Marseille Member

It is not possible to "hack" WoT as the game is entirely server-side. While there are illegal "mods" that enhance your local visibility, they can't impact the data residing on the server and the server is always "correct" - so you can't shoot through walls, etc. like in other games.

10. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Want to play badly. But this computer is crap. ..Have always wondered why any good game would be free. There has to be a tradeoff. Your email/personal info. Access to your computer-what. Why spend a lot of man hours to develop a game, then give it away. ..There must be upgrades you pay for in order to become competitive in the game...I want to believe.

11. von_noobie

von_noobie Member

Reason this game and similar are free is they also sell items such as tanks that you cant acquire through R&D which also allows you to jump ahead a bit in combat ability not to mention allowing you to buy gold and such to help in purchasing more advanced munitions and other perks etc. It all comes down to smart business, You can spend a ton marketing the game and try and sell it for a price or you can give it away and if it is good enough word of mouth will allow it's popularity to spread without the need for massive amounts of dollars to be laid out in marketing it, Far more people will download a free game then buy it out right because few people like to spend good money only to find the game is a let down, Download it for free and love it so much you will from time to time buy stuff from the store etc.

Ive noticed the most effective games either are free to start from with options to buy perks/upgrades or the game its self is easily modded which PC gamers love to play around with. A game the costs at the start and is unable to be modded (messing with source code) usually has a short life span and not a massive fan base.

12. rkline56

Yes Poppy, many wallet warriors on wot (isn't that part of a Floyd tune?). I think there are lots of cheat engines about but I don't use them, not a hack per se, UP from but works the same. There are some interesting mod updates (reticle upgrades, weak point target light ups) that are illegal but not enforced, guys write their own code but it usually comes with viruses, I've heard the many horror stories. Your target will res off the screen at the most inopportune times - like when your projectile is flying - you may get a hit, you may not - sigh.

13. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

What would minimum computer requirements be in order to fully enjoy the game?

14. Takao

Takao Ace

15. rkline56

16. edhunter76

edhunter76 Member

Hi guys, I'm a big WoT geek myself and has been playing for years. I was very very bad player for a long time, but I found some good YouTube channels which really teaches you to play much better. I'm still pretty much average player but I have improved my game play a lot during past year or so.

If you are interested to learn more, I highly recommend that you'd get familiar with these videos...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQWHq9e1hN268yjgYq-0hNw
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpnjlvS2zxhbNJuGNo_TxkQ

17. edhunter76

edhunter76 Member

Oh, and this site is very useful if you want to get to know the tanks better, negatives and positives, recommended ways to play them etc. Worth a look if you're interested...

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/World_of_Tanks

And as for the real money usage in game. Yes you can buy premium ammo for example that has a bit better penetration, but you can also buy these same ammo with ingame currency and no real money necessarily needed for that. You can also buy premium vehicles, but I have to say they are not any better than tanks available to anyone really, actually some of them are very poor. Yes, you can buy stuff using real money, but most of the stuff you can also buy using ingame currency that you gain by simply having battles, doing damage in them and winning them.

I wouldn't say that this game is pay to win at all. Of course, using real money will get you through the tiers faster, but I really don't know if it made you any better player.

18. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

In addition, I find people who pay for top tier tanks are not fully engaged with the game. It's a quick fix for action purposes and those players quickly become disinterested. It is most certainly not pay to play.

19. edhunter76

edhunter76 Member

Fully agree with you. Top tier game play is totally different compared to middle or low tiers. It's not really motivating or encouraging to play in top tier battles and get wrecked all the time. My humble advise is that take your time to proceed in tiers and don't rush. I have really learned this myself the hard way and at some point realized that I needed to get back to lower tiers to learn more. I have played this game for some time and I have about 7 000 battles total, but I've still reached tier 8 so far.

20. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

Agreed. Much more rewarding and educational.