Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

World War 1 local celebration

Discussion in 'Military History' started by LRusso216, Mar 31, 2017.

1. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Interesting article in today's paper. Worth a read.

They were called Doughboys.

It was the name given to the 4.7 million Americans who served in World War I after Congress declared war against Germany on April 6, 1917.

While no one is entirely sure how this nickname came about, the Doylestown Historical Society plans to honor these brave soldiers through a series of events to mark the 100th anniversary of the U.S. entering what was also known as The Great War.

On April 6, a memorial tree dedication will take place at the Doylestown Historical Society Park at 56 S. Main St. in Doylestown Borough. The ceremony is coordinated by Saving Hallowed Ground, a national organization that assists local communities with historical preservation projects.

Part of a nationwide effort, these memorial trees "serve as living reminders of the soldiers and citizens who served on both small and large scales across the country and around the world during World War I," according to the organization.

On May 6, the historical society will hold a historical plaque dedication at the old National Guard Armory building, now a part of the Bucks County Justice Center, in Doylestown Borough.

The plaque, which will be mounted on the façade, displays a photo of the 150 men of Company G as they marched in formation from the National Guard Armory on Shewell Avenue to the Reading Railroad Station, where they would catch a train to Camp Hancock, Georgia, and eventually head off to fight in France.

On May 13, the restoration of the World War I Fountain on the corner of North Main and Broad streets in Doylestown Borough will be unveiled. Efforts to clean up the fountain were conducted through the assistance of Saving Hallowed Ground and local students.

The story of the fountain, abundant in local history, will be brought to life at the monument's rededication ceremony at the Bucks County Administration Building, the old courthouse, at 55 E. Court St. and feature the families of the sculptor and two soldiers who modeled for the sculpture.

"We have a lot of family connections. In fact, that's what we like to do. We like to have a real-people connection with history and we try really hard to do those things," said Doylestown Historical Society President and CEO Stu Abramson.

Throughout April and May, the historical society will also host five speaker events in partnership with the Doylestown Bookshop.

The first of these speaker events, on Saturday, will be led by John Shepherd, a retired Army officer and instructor at Delaware Valley University's Center for Learning in Retirement, to discuss "World War I – What Happened and Why it Matters."

The effects of World War I are still felt today, Shepherd said.

"The war really changed everything for the entire world. Before the war, there were kings and empires. After the war, not so much," he said.

"Before the war, Americans were this large country across the Atlantic that didn't really matter. After the war, New York had become center of the financial universe and the United States had the status of a world power," he added.

A shift in power, Shepherd said, that came at the cost of 116,516 American lives.

"Of those, 26 were men from the Doylestown area, either National Guardsmen in Company G or men who were drafted into the service and served in other years," said Shepherd.

On May 20, the final event, "War Takes Flight," will take place at the Doylestown Airport at 3879 Old Easton Road in Buckingham. Vintage airplanes, cars and bicycles will be featured as part of the airport's annual open house.

"The memorial statue and the armory are examples of gems we have to commemorate our heritage," said Tom Dougherty, the marketing and events manager for the Doylestown Historical Society.

100 years later: A salute in Bucks County to the soldiers of World War I

TD-Tommy776 and GRW like this.
  2. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Nice story indeed.