Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

World War 2 familes of soldiers listed MIA/ KIA

Discussion in '☆☆ New Recruits ☆☆' started by Trish, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Trish

Trish New Member

My 2nd cousin 2x removed is listed on the tablets of the missing in Epinal American Cemetery in France. His name is PFC Herman Hall. He was from Perry KY and enlisted in Aug 1943 at Ft Benjamin Harris in Indiana. He was in the Army with the 315th Infantry Regiment 79th Infantry Division. He was reported missing during the Battle of Hatten and Riffershoffen and ultimately declared dead on Jan 15 1945. Not sure what happened to him but I don't think he was ever found. He is listed both as MIA and KIA. Are there any other family members here who lost either by KIA or by MIA any relatives?

2. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

The Army Casualty list for Perry County, Kentucky has him listed as KIA. Normally, if a soldier was MIA and declared dead without recovering his remains, they are listed with FOD (Finding of Death) rather than KIA. If you are interested in researching his further, you should request his IDPF (Individual Deceased Personnel File). That may provide some answers.

3. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

I meant to add that the Army Casualty lists can be incorrect. Also, it may be that there was other evidence which allowed the determination of KIA without recovery of the remains. Hopefully, the IDPF would contain some answers.

4. Trish

Trish New Member

Thank you for the information. Different sites have different things about him. The ABMC has him listed as death date Jan 15 1945 but status is missing in action. The Kentucky military legacy has him listed as missing, killed in action and desposition is listed as unrecoverable. Another military site said he went missing during a battle and was ultimately declared dead so it is confusing. I do not think his body was ever returned to ky. It says his wife was Matilda Lewis but cannot find any info on her at all. I am going to check into requesting his records