Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

World War Two Campaign

Discussion in 'PC and Console Simulations' started by TheRedBaron, May 20, 2003.

1. TheRedBaron

TheRedBaron Ace

Urgh,

Glad you agree that random is the best option, it makes it more fun!!! At the moment I am looking through the previous games orders and reports, I will post some of the newspaper articles to give you all some idea of what goes on.

Yes feel free to make and break treaties and conduct secret diplomacy but bear in mind it all has to go through the umpire.

The response to this has been great, I will begin to sort out the countries and let you all know whats going on and I may well need someone else to help with the checking and cross referencing of data, but I hope that it will all be up and running for june/july.

Please bear with me here as the hardest part is the start...

But start preping those air defences and building your defences, I think the Germans are coming...

As for Hugo and his Balloons, I like the sound of it... excellent... [​IMG] :D [​IMG]

2. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

Ooooh, count me in on this one, can I lead the sedanese safety pin battallion? pweeese???

3. ec2285

ec2285 Member

Hey,

I am absolutely interested. Enough to get me to register after I had just found this site. I'll take whatever I get.

EC2285

4. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I made this thread a featured topic. [​IMG]

I like the idea of a good wargame and I'm willing to support the game, let me know if you have any things that I can help out with, ie, webpages, images etc. I'm sure Peppy wouldn't mind helping out either.

5. Peppy

Peppy Idi Admin

I'm available for all your WWII gaming needs. :D [​IMG]

6. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Count me in but--as a bit player for lack of time. :(

7. TheRedBaron

TheRedBaron Ace

So far I have written the initial briefings for the following nations;

Third Reich
    Great Britain
    France
    U.S.S.R.
    United States Of America
    Italy
    Poland
    Spain

The brief consists of a narrative storyline bringing you into the position of supreme statesman. It details events, rumours, military options, research, Military Intelligence, Popular support and an idea how other major countries see you in the world order.

Nations which I now intend to cover;

Yugoslavia
    Greece
    Hungary
    Rumania
    Bulgaria
    Belgium
    Holland
    Denmark
    Norway
    Sweden
    Finland
    Turkey
    Japan (Japan will wait until I have the camapign up and running and will be introduced at some point in the war, as a surprise!)

My only decision to make is to how certain factors should be dealt with. For example is the Holocaust to feature in a political/Military campaign? This is the decision to make and I feel that if left as part of 'Campaign history' to be dealt with by the players as their role deems fit, this would seem the most realistic role, but puts the German player in the eninviable role of a mass murderer. I would be interested in your thoughts on this. Obviously we wish to concentrate on diplomacy and military action but the effects of the Holocaust on the German economic system would play a part in the mechanics of the Game. My preferred option is not to ignore it but also to not 'play' it. Effectively the Holocaust becomes the only historical event that remains unchanged and continues as history dictates. But it could be possible to change events leading up to it?

Anyway give me your thoughts on how this sensitive issue should be dealt with in the game, as this needs to be decided before the game so that I do not run the risk of offending players.

Thanks for reading guys will keep you posted,

RED

8. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

To be honest I reckon it would make sense to allow players to 'play' it to a degree as as it was a rather essential part of the Nazi regieme. The thing is, if it is as it occured historically then the 'opponants' will know exactly what is going to happen, plus it could prove to be a HUGE problem if, for example, someone decides to try to intervene and maybe launch an attack on the camps or something. It might make more sense to have it being rather more dynamic, whoever plays Germany must keep it going but the way they decide to do it can be changed. For example I see no reason why a player could not decide to reduce the number of killings and increase the number of people used for labour. Rather distasteful but I feel it is an essential part of the game but would need to be dynamic. I suppose that would be a major problem with this game, it takes no account of ideas that were based on ideology.

9. AndyW

AndyW Member

Well, I see it that way: It's a GAME and well, maybe the holocaust isn't that much of a sensitive issue in this game once I decide as, let's say France to physically exterminate all let's say Belgians, out of pure economical reasons (feeding them being more "expensive" than their contribution to my war efforts, f.ex.)?

10. Brad T.

Brad T. Member

Any idea when this will start?

11. ec2285

ec2285 Member

With regard to the holocaust issue...that is a tough one my initial thoughts were to leave it to the player control entirely...but I have re-thougt that some. I would anticipate that if any one issue could get out of hand and cause problems and/or ruin the game it would be this one. I think it would be best if it was under some control or at your final discretion, unless there was a player you have worked with before and know they could be trusted to treat this sensitively and with respect.
    My .02

EC2285

12. Mussolini

Mussolini Gaming Guru WW2|ORG Editor

It would be a sensitive issue, but as everyone playing this game is most likely from the Forums, we could get a general consensus from those who wish to play and see what they all think. perhaps a Poll can be created?

13. KmPok

KmPok Member

Sounds fascinating. Count me in too.

I've never played this kind of game before so it would be a chance to learn a lot I think.

14. Jet

Jet Member

Maybe we should do the holocaust...it shouldnt really be just about military issues but it should surround other issues that occured during World War Two.

15. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

How about if someone acts as umpire, and decisions reguarding this issue must be passed by Baron here (who I assume will be playing 'god' so to speak). An alternative would be to ensure that if 3 people are in charge of germany any decision reguarding the holocaust must be made by consensus?

16. TheRedBaron

TheRedBaron Ace

I think that as the player will be taking the role of supreme commander then your minions will act according to your directives. If the German player wishes the jewish 'question' dealt with then it will be left to the minions to decide... Which in the form of a narrative campaign will allow the umpire to direct the games storyline to reflect the overall plot and theme, and make for a more enjoyable game all round.

17. David Barton (DB) Mathis

David Barton (DB) Mathis Member

I love the idea! I don't have much knowledge to offer but I too can help out with graphics, websites etc... Will you keep the ones of us not participating posted on what's going on in the game? :rolleyes:

18. Brad T.

Brad T. Member

When can we expect the briefings?

19. Jeepy

Jeepy recruit

is this game still a goer?

I'll be willing to help out and play if so!

20. TheRedBaron

TheRedBaron Ace

YES, this is still on the 'GO'!!! I am working on the Briefings at the moment and hope to have the National Briefing packs ready to go to the relevant leaders by July.

Sorry for this taking long-time GI, but I am without a computer at home at the moment as I am waiting for the new one so I am having to do it all at uni which slows me down.

But those of you who have replied, keep an eye out for pm from me as to which country you will be allocated.

War is looming once more on the horizon of Europe, will your country be strong enough to survive... [​IMG]