Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Worlds Greatest Tank Battles

Discussion in 'WWII Films & TV' started by Prospero Quevedo, Apr 14, 2021.

1. Riter

Riter Well-Known Member

Dmitri Lvov mentions what happened to the Shermans in the Red Army. I think the book was Fighting In The Red Army's Shermans. Stalin had the turrets removed so he could keep them as farm tractors. Kinda gas guzzling.

Diidn't know that the M-3 in 1941 was actually a M-7. Thanks!

2. Prospero Quevedo

Prospero Quevedo Well-Known Member

Probably got s Sherman or s tank destroyer

3. Prospero Quevedo

Prospero Quevedo Well-Known Member

Watching WGTB again never get tired of it especially the Israeli battles YouTube season one is great continueous play from one episode to the next season two unfortunately have to do individual search. Not sure about sesson three yet.

4. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Battle of Gazala-North Africa

Battle of Gazala - Wikipedia

This was one of the heaviest blows I can recall during the war. Not only were its military effects grievous, but it had affected the reputation of the British armies.

— Winston Churchill

5. Riter

Riter Well-Known Member

Anyone know the Soviet view of Gazala? I'm under the impression that they thought the Campaigns for North Africa was just a sideshow compared to what they were experiencing. Even Italy didn't count in Soviet eyes.

6. Carronade

Carronade Ace

That's Colonel and Hero of the Soviet Union Dmitri Loza; his books were Commanding the Red Army's Sherman Tanks and Fighting for the Soviet Motherland. He was quite enthusiastic about the Sherman, citing features like the interior space, auxiliary generator, and excellent radios that don't show up in tables of armor penetration etc. but were important to the men who had to fight in them.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2021
    Riter likes this.
  7. Riter

Riter Well-Known Member

I remember what Loza wrote about the Shermans post-war. Stalin had them disarmed with the turrets removed so they could be kept as farm tractors. They should send us a bunch of T-34/76s and T-34/85s in exchange.

8. Carronade

Carronade Ace

Probably the same as any other knowledgeable person, that the British had had the combat power to defeat Rommel, had put him in grave danger, but had managed to lose anyway.