Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

would it offend....?

Discussion in 'World War 2 Hobbies' started by aquist, Jul 7, 2006.

1. aquist

aquist recruit

via TanksinWW2
    would it offend people to reenact the Malmedy massacre? If we lined up the disarmed reenactors wearing GI uniforms and had the SS open up on them with their MG42s and MP 40s and had an officer walk around with a pistol and shoot survivors? would that be too macabre? would it set the wrong tone to interact with SS men? would it inject controversy into the battle?. Some one must have an opinion, I have even heard Germans say that they were provoked by the helpless unarmed American GIs. that Killing all of them in cold blood was standard operating procedure on the Ost front from where they had been transferred. this incident was repeated several times, even on civilians- men women and children by the SS. In our unit, the 21st inf div 24th reg. we are deliberately reenacting regular German Army troops because of issues like this. our upcoming battle , the Battle of the bulge may contain this incident. but we want to know ahead of time wether it is even semi ok to do so.

2. Canadian_Super_Patriot

Canadian_Super_Patriot recruit

via TanksinWW2
    That would seem innapropriate.

3. Christian Ankerstjerne

Christian Ankerstjerne Member

via TanksinWW2
    Considering that the actual events are still highly debated, you'd be stirring a hornest's nest.

4. Oli

Oli New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I thought I'd come across some daft questions in my time. What next? Re-enactment of the Warsaw ghetto? What on Earth would such a display achieve other than to open old wounds? What possible lesson (assuming you do re-enactment to learn, rather than just "play soldiers") could be learnt fom it? By anyone - participants or watchers?
    This strikes me as one of the most offensive things I've ever read on this forum. I haven't read many of your posts (for aesthetic/ linguistic reasons) and I doubt I'll read any again after this.
    PanzerProfile - if this is too strong I apologise, but I doubt it's even a tenth of the feelings that such a re-enactment would stir up. And to no discernable purpose.

5. Canadian_Super_Patriot

Canadian_Super_Patriot recruit

via TanksinWW2
    Panzerprofile ? why has his name been mentioned ?

6. Oli

Oli New Member

via TanksinWW2
    He's the moderator for this section. Don't want to get into/ cause too much trouble

7. canambridge

canambridge Member

via TanksinWW2
    Bad idea.

8. Oli

Oli New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Me or KP?

9. Tom phpbb3

Tom phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Kriegspfarrer, I would highly recommend against that! It maybe reenacting a historical event, just like the Battle of Gettysburg, but unless you're doing an episode of Cold Case, on site, it would be in extremely poor taste.

People already have enough negative preconceptions of the Germans, and of the SS. While some may well be justified, showing them the Malmedy incident would cement some very wrong impressions. This would set back historical education and reenacting quite a ways!

10. Boba Nette

Boba Nette New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I don't think it's offensive if it's an accurate portrayal of a documented event.However,people go to re-enactments to be entertained.Bottom line.
    Nobody will find this entertaing,therefore I would recommend against it.
    WWII buffs like the people on this forum might find it informative and sobering at best.The average spectator will most likely be horrified.

11. canambridge

canambridge Member

via TanksinWW2
    I meant the idea of reenacting the massacre. It's in very poor taste, sure to offend someone, if not everyone, and would probably do little to educate anyone or raise awareness (I my mind the only legtimate reason). Most with an interest in WWII already know the story and the overall reputation of the SS (if not German Army).

12. smeghead phpbb3

smeghead phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I personally don't see why not, why would people find it offensive? People are smart enough to know that a re-enactment isn't an endorsement of the events, otherwise there would be no war movies :p I honestly can't see anything wrong with it?

13. TISO

TISO New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I have to agree with Oli on this.
    This is highly inapropriate. Why on earth would you like to reenact a war crime?
    Imagine that some reeanctors would like to reenact such incident with reversed role (i.e. GI's excuting germans and this kind of sh*t did happen)? There would be a hell to pay.
    Perhaps i'm looking this from European angle but we had a lot of this kind of crimes for real during and after the war, so at least i don't take this lightly.

14. merlin phpbb3

merlin phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    malmady

KP.I think you have really lost it this time, what next, Bergen Belsen?

15. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    It would not be entertaining (if this is the purpose of reenactment), it would not be justifiable, it would not be right. If these things must be reenacted then at least do it in a clear framework of historical representation intended to raise awareness. Even so, I would discourage it, because it's just disgusting.

By the time of the Ardennes Offensive, the men of the 1st SS Panzer Division who carried out the massacre had not seen the Eastern Front for almost a year - and many of them had never seen any action before the Ardennes.

16. Hoosier phpbb3

Hoosier phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    KP:
    If you proceed with this idea, I'd be sure to stay out of a German uniform. If I was a member of the viewing public, I'd be throwing rocks at your "SS troops."
    An incredibly BAD idea to restage such a disturbing incident.

Tim

17. Siberian Black

Siberian Black New Member

via TanksinWW2
    It would be a good idea to teach people about that kind of thing, but people can get upset over really small things. Something of this magnatude could potentially start something, nobody wants to deal with. God forbid it would lead to a World War at the very worst.

Although this didn't entirely stop the producers of Band of Brothers (american paratrooper give Axis POWs a cigarret before shooting them all. One of them is an American who returned to Germany.)...still a bad idea.

18. germanm36tunic

germanm36tunic New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Why Not!

I dont see anything wrong with it. IF the reenactors involed with the massacre, agree, then go for it. Show the public some history. Show how Germans killed jew, Amercians looting germany,Germans looting its captured territories, Russians killing Russians. So we are to show the glories of war and all not the bed sides of war? Civil War show Union troops burning houses,sex, killing prisoners on both sides, who are you to deciede what is right or wrong for a reenactment? Who?

19. aquist

aquist recruit

via TanksinWW2
    not for the public

this event is a tactical battle that means, the public will not be there to view whatever we do. I have 99% decided not to include the massacre other than to perhaps mention it or even have a sign post pointing to it, just like Malmedy 4k. we really dont have the time and space to reenact all the things that happened just a few skirmishes at crossroads etc.

20. aquist

aquist recruit

via TanksinWW2
    tanks

what i would really like is to have a couple German tanks there is a big chapter of the MVPA one state over in Oklahoma but its a long way to lug an armored vehicle, especially when u have to disguise it as something its not ie a tiger I