Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Writing a novel: Need to fact-check myself

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by byawk, Feb 3, 2023.

1. Riter

Riter Well-Known Member

Let's stop writing the novel for him.:D

2. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Just tossing out ideas, not making demands.

3. Riter

Riter Well-Known Member

Until everything your wrote is used in the novel that becomes an international best-seller and your lawyer hits him up with a copyright suit.

Eye keeeeeeeeeed.

4. OpanaPointer

No contract is explicit or implied.

5. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

More power to him but as I commented in post #3 ::: READ.
    Hopefully he is attempting to write a novel but if it's a case of a short story or wishful thinking ( I have an abundance of my own ideas in that area!), there's only one way to properly prepare. Research your interests and figure on a few years "or decades", to compile enough information to coherently put together a story. Coupled with possibly a college education to get the ball rolling.
    I've accumulated over 5,000 pages of information on CDs (various Military historical agencies), and maybe a couple dozen books on my main interest with another 50 or so books on the shelves pertaining to the era of interest, but being the 'barely graduated' high school academic that I am, haven't got passed a good Title yet.

Sometimes I think the best way to start an endeavor like this would be to sit and just start writing. After a while you'll begin to see an outline. The further along you go you'll see where some questionable ideas pop up and ask yourself those famous words : What, When, Why, Where and How.

Then it's time to hit the Library or do research into the specific area of the genre.

I wish byawk the best and at the very least ,
    Enjoy your journey.
    Life's best memories are those things we attempted not the ones we let pass us by.

6. OpanaPointer

When I wrote I just started and the idea in my head took control. Happily I learned to type in high school* so I could jam that sucker out quickly. Keeping up with my brain ain't easy.

*Senior year. Thirty-nine girls and one guy. I was a happy camper. :D

Biak likes this.
  7. Biak

Similar experience. Myself and Bill Bitner; small school small classes. Guys made fun of us for taking Typing for an Elective class. We pointed out Ms. Baum (maybe middle 20's fresh out of college) and Mrs Myers (early 30's and experienced :rolleyes:) were our teachers. There were 12 girls and the two of us in the class. :rolleyes: Early early 70's, Miniskirts and Mary Jane, PBR and Boones Farm strawberry wine.

There was a line at the office of Sophomore, Junior and Senior " Too late to the party" dudes the next day.
    And they said we were the dummies !

Got an "A" by the way. The quick brown fox jumped over the desk. Or something like that.
    Desks were no problem.

CAC and OpanaPointer like this.
  8. Riter

Riter Well-Known Member

Learned in jr. high so I beat cha! Typing was one of the most useful classes I ever took and it served me well to this day. Thank you Mrs. Blum.

Holy cow! How'd you manage that? I dunno the ratio of the sh*t hole I attended but I got out early via examination.

CAC and OpanaPointer like this.
  9. Biak

I only got two questions ?
    What's junior high. We had grade school (1st grade through 8th) and high school (9 - 12) back in my day. None of this "Middle school- junior high or Kindergarten Pre-K stuff.
    I'm assuming you were learning how to type on computers ? Remember, our computers used punch cards and were stored in a closet. Actually one would fill a closet.

An aside; we had around 300 students scattered amongst the four grades in my high school. I think it was pretty well equally divided between the sexes. But to be honest with you I only counted the soft ones with bumps.

10. Riter

Riter Well-Known Member

In Californiastan First through Sixth grade is Grammar School. Seventh-Eight grade is junior high. Ninth through Twelfth is High School.

When I learned to type it was on a manual typewritter. Very noisy classroom too. Electric typewriters weren't around yet. Punchcards for data input were around, but not at a school level. So were those huge reels of magnetic tape for computer memory. We also had giant computer disks back then too (also not in the school world). Personal computers did not make an appearance until much later. We were playing with Arpa-Net, C, Pascal and sometimes Fortran.

Biak likes this.
  11. OpanaPointer

I was fishing for something to do my senior year. I was taking a heavy "industrial arts" load as I intended to join the USN* and wanted to have a tool kit so I could hit the ground running. Santa had given me a typewriter when I was a freshman, so I was primed for the typing class. I wound up tutoring 5 of the ladies who were struggling with all those keys. They were ... appreciative. ;)

*Sworn in 14 hours after graduation ceremonies ended.

12. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

I learned to touch type at 18...90 words per minute zero mistakes...Still a useful skill.
    Australia has/had Pre-school - Primary School grades 1-7 High School years 8 -10 College 11-12 - And then University just known as "Uni" in Australia.

Riter and OpanaPointer like this.
  13. byawk

byawk New Member

I just read through all of this awesome info, guys. Exactly what I needed!

It inspired three more related questions:

- Someone had mentioned that a pilot like the one I described would probably be a First Lieutenant to a Major in rank. I'm basically trying to give the character my lowest believable position for a WW2 pilot. Would that be First Lieutenant, or is there an even lower designation such as "Airman" or something?

- On the other end of the spectrum, what are the middle and higher positions for pilots? What would be the rank of someone who is in charge of other pilots?

- Just confirming, would American pilots during the war be considered part of the USAAF?

14. OpanaPointer

15. Riter

Riter Well-Known Member

Second Lieutenant for USAAC & Pilot Officer for RAF.
    BTW, RAF had Sergeant Pilots too. They could fly and fight but just didn't have the social background or financial ability to become an officer.
    OK, the US also had Flight Sergeants. While these were phased out in favor of commissioned ranks, some flew those Cessena artillery spotter planes.

Sucked to take the same risk and then at mess you couldn't go into the officers' mess hall.

16. Riter

Riter Well-Known Member

Higher ranks in the camps would be Colonel (American) or Group Captain (RAF), Lt. Col. (American) or Wing Commanderl (RAF). The Army Air Corps had some flying generals who were generally brigadiers, but I'm unaware of any having beens hot down.

In the historical documentry Hogan's Hero Hogan was a full bird colonel and when gallant Group Captain Crittendon was incarcerated in Stalag 13 he should have replaced Hogan as Senior Officer in Command. He was commissioned earlier than Hogan but historical documentaries don't always get things right. After all, I know nothing!

American Pilots during WW II belonged to the Army Air Corps. USAF wasn't created until post- WW II.

17. Carronade

Carronade Ace

USAAF (United States Army Air Forces) was the air component of the Army during WWII, established in 1941, replacing the Army Air Corps. The Army at that time was organized into three major subdivisions, USAAF, Army Ground Forces and Army Service Forces. USAAF became the independent USAF in 1947.

18. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Perhaps another way of doing this is write a draft of this thing first and get people to proof read it for mistakes or inaccuracies…One shouldn’t get too bogged down in the minutia…As they say ‘just write’.