Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Wrong place to order a Black & Tan! Input needed from some real Irishmen please.

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by A-58, Jun 9, 2014.

1. ptimms

ptimms Member

A little unfair on the Irish relating to baggage I think, the Black and Tans were unpleasant participants in an unpleasant war and my Grand Mother's brother took a bullet in the leg on one of their rampages. Mind family legend doesn't record what Billy was up to that night and none of his 13 brothers or sisters are left to ask now.

2. dbf

dbf Member WW2|ORG Editor

Unfair? I wouldn't say so. Tongue in cheek, maybe, that comes from nigh on 50 yrs listening to references to 'this unpleasant history' and 'that unpleasant history', just so one side can blatter the other with it ... and the odd innocent bystander while they're at it. ;)

I made my opinion of the hosts clear in an earlier post but they are two examples of too many...if none is offered, why be keen to take offence.

3. Dave55

Dave55 Member

Amatures. :)

Try being a yankee like me living in the American south :)

4. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

One of my maternal grandmother's brothers was a volunteer at the Dublin PO in 1916, one of the reasons they changed the family name and moved to Scotland.
    I don't let that one slip out very often...

5. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I am quite certain that most Southerns have a large percentage of Irish in them. We can re-fight a war that has been over for 150 years better than anyone around.
    You left off a specific appellation in front of the "Y" word. You live here and ain't just passing through, ya know. Wear it with pride.

6. Dave55

Dave55 Member

Yep, I'm a Damn Yankee. We love it. That's why we moved here.

7. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

"We" moved here. Whew, I'm glad you didn't come down here marrying our women.

8. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

Damn yankees

9. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

I'm happy for three reasons:
    1) I'm Italian, and don't really care about the Irish.
    2) I don't drink, so ordering a Black and Tan is not on my radar.
    3) I'm a Yankee, even though my son went to Clemson.

10. ptimms

ptimms Member

My tongue was as much in cheek as yours and no real offence was taken. I am aware and proud of my Irish heritage but also am a Patriotic Englishmen. I agree that using the Battle of the Boyne as a reason for scrapping today is just ridiculous. However I did take great pleasure at beating a Glasgow Rangers player on FIFA 14 who regaled in the name of King Billy the other night.

11. mcoffee

mcoffee Son-of-a-Gun(ner)

Given enough time, we'll set you right...

12. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

I understand the analogy that you are using, but I'm not sure if ordering a Black & Tan is as is as simple as that. It appears that the drink is not that uncommon going from the input from the members here. Few and not so far in between possibly. Maybe some seem to take the order to an extreme as the barkeep that got bent out of shape when my friend ordered it while visiting Ireland. And some others call it a half & half, and that drink has been around for a long time it seems. Maybe some guy got tired of waiting a half an hour to get a good beer, and decided to cut the prep time by putting a half a glass of lager in it.

13. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

Sure is....but no doubt we're about to be bombarded with references to '1966' which seems just as silly to me.......

14. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

All I can say is that when I ordered one thirty years ago, nobody in that pub had ever heard of such a thing. They weren't appalled about the name of the drink, they were appalled about wasting a good beer. Back then, there wasn't a huge crush of American tourists since the "troubles" were still going on in the north, but surely since then they've all heard of it and you'd think they'd calm down about it.