Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

WW-2 VETERAN SIGNING ON

Discussion in 'Honor, Service and Valor' started by John Cox, Jan 27, 2010.

1. John Cox

John Cox WWII Veteran

GOOD AFTERNOON,

FIRST I WILL TELL YOU I AM WRITING IN CAPITAL LETTERS BECAUSE MY EYES ARE FAILING I'M NOT SCREAMING. I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY RESPONSES IN BOLD CAPITALS.

I AM A WORLD WAR TWO VETERAN OF THE US NAVY. I SERVED ON THE USS FRANKLIN AND RECEIVE 4 BATTLE STARS IN THE PACIFIC.

I AM ORIGINALLY FROM BROOKLYN, NEW YORK. I LIVED IN AUSTRAILIA FOR OVER 30 YEARS. I NOW LIVE IN LOUISIANA WHERE I CAN BE CLOSE TO MY NEPHEWS.

MY HOBBY IS THE COMPUTER.

MY NEWPHEW JAMES COX IS A MEMBER OF THIS FORUM AND RECKONS I WILL ENJOY AND CONTRIBUTE TO IT AS WELL.

Sentinel, GPRegt, 980th and 13 others like this.
  2. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Mr. Cox, please disregard my private message to you. You answered my question.

If it will help you, you can click on Go Advanced below and increase the size of your font like this so maybe you can read posts easier. Once there, click size and change the number from 2 to a larger number. This size is 5.

Welcome to the forum. Thank you for your hard service on that great ship. The Franklin is a legend in this forum. Tell us more of what you did, as you are able.

kerrd5 likes this.
  3. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Greetings John glad you came on the forum(s).

4. Tomcat

Tomcat The One From Down Under

Welcome to the forum mate, it is great to have another veteran to put us whippersnappers in our place.:)

Your service is greatly appreciated and we would be delighted if you could post any of your stories or views of the war whether combat wise or just in general.

Also another way of raising the font size, is at the top of your internet browser (this thing you are looking at right now) click 'view' ->> then 'Zoom' then 'zoom in'. You can do this as far in as you need.:)

sniper1946 and Slipdigit like this.
  5. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Welcome John. We look forward to anything you can tell us about your service. Happy posting.

6. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

welcome john,a pleasure to have you join the forum,regards,ray..

7. Currahee

Currahee Member

WELCOME TO THE FORUM SIR.

8. 107thcav

107thcav Member

Welcome to the forum John. Look forward to your words of wisdom. Thanks for your service.

9. mikebatzel

mikebatzel Dreadnaught

Hello Mr Cox, and welcome to the Forum! It is a pleasure to have you here. Please feel free to start a thread and share any information you wish about your time in the Navy. Thank you for all you did for us all those years ago.

10. colletorww2

colletorww2 Ace

Hello and welcome! Good to have another Veteran on the forum. Thank you so much for you service Sir!

11. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Hello Mr Cox, welcome to htis great forum. The alphabet seems to grow bigger in every post here, so I chose to stimulate your eyes instead and write in small letters :D

12. theblackalchemist

theblackalchemist Member

Hello sir!

The service is failing miserably here.. do not rest until you beat these 'orrible men into shape! You deserve a bright blue name , and they need to put you in touch with the right user group..

You don't get good minions these days...

Welcome sir and make yourself at home.
    Would you like to share your story with us?

Regards,
    TBA

(PS, I had to simulate his eyes back , after what skipper so cruelly did to him :D )

13. Volga Boatman

Volga Boatman Dishonorably Discharged

Privelaged to have you here Sir.

Anything you may have to say about your wartime experiences will find appreciative listeners here.

Regards

Christopher Jensen

14. sdf

sdf Member

GREETING AND RESPECT.
    IN MY CHILHOOD I HEARD A STORY OF ONE OF THE SOVIET VETERAN WHO PARTICIPATED IN ELBE DAY. UNFORTUNATLY I IT WAS MANY YEARS AGO AND I DON`T REMEMBER MUCH OF HIS TALE. BUT I REMEMBER THAT HE TOLD ABOUT AMERICANS WITH RESPECT. OF COURSE HE MEANT NOT NAVY BUT ANYWAY.
    WITH MYHONOUR AND BEST WISHES,
    ALEXANDRA

15. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

Mr. Cox,

Where in Louisiana are you living? You should visit the WW2 Museum down in New Orleans if you haven't already. Great to have you onboard with us, and looking forward to your first-hand experiences on that great ship. Congrats on your service.

Bobby

16. John Cox

John Cox WWII Veteran

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Some of you asked for my story so I will give you the short version and add details as I learn more about the forum.

I arrived aboard the USS Franklin on May 29 1944 and became a member of the radio crew that stood watch in the main radio shack. The main radio shack was located in the ships Island and was only about 15 feet from two twin-mounted five inch guns that came to an incredibly noisy life during enemy attacks.

I was there for all the battles. These included the Marianas, the Carolinas, Leyte Gulf and direct attacks on the Japanese Homeland in support of the Okinawa landings. I was awarded 4 Battle Stars.

I was one of the lucky 704-crew members left aboard the ship that he carried safely home after being bombed 60 miles off Japan's southern island of Kyushu.

17. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

A great start, John. I look forward to more details of the campaigns as you have the time and desire. We truly appreciate your willingness to share these memories with us.

18. Slipdigit

Mr Cox,

I've read much of the Franklin over the years, she certainly took a beating and on seperate occasions.

Talk to us as you feel lead. We are as interested in the day to day activities you were involved as we are the terrors. To us, the mundane is just as important as combat.

I am sure that your nephew can help you as needed, but if not, feel free to contact me or one of the other moderators directly.

Is this perchance you?
    [​IMG]

http://www.ussfranklin.org/memorabilia/cox-2a.htm

and here?

http://www.ussfranklin.org/stories/cox.htm

19. James Cox

James Cox Member

John is under the weather today so I am reading and typing for him.

Yes the story and the Newpaper article is John.

He says "My Mother talked me into doing the interview for which she was paid an undetermined amount" :D They chose him because they were in the Brooklyn ship yard and he was from Brooklyn. A local boy angle.

20. Slipdigit

Hope he gets to feeling better.