Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

WW I Germany after the Treaty of Brest-Litovsk

Discussion in 'What If - Other' started by John Dudek, Sep 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Dudek

John Dudek Member

After gaining so much territory from the Ukraine, the "Breadbasket of Russia," why didn't Germany bend its will to siphoning off all the extra livestock, grain and etc. in that fertile region, to ease the suffering and privation of the starving German populace at home?

Granted, hindsight is 20/20, but that's one of those historical things that I have never understood.

2. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Not very familiar with the border line by the treaty:

Russia recognized the independence of Ukraine and Georgia; confirmed the independence of Finland; gave up Poland, the Baltic states, and part of what is now Belarus to Germany and Austria-Hungary.

http://www.2-russia.com/treaty-brest-litovsk.asp

If Ukraine was independent then it was not German..?!?

3. dasreich

dasreich Member

Well the problem is facilitating such a transfer. Later war and deep in foreign territory, moving livestock and food would be a logistically monumental task, and they still had a war on the western front to fight, a war they were slowly losing.

4. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

That was their original intention, I think. However, their mistreatment of the local population (a prelude to what was going to happen 23 years later) and lousy administration, deprived them on getting much. On the contrary, their stubborness in occupying and looting their 'conquered eastern empire', diverted many divisions from reinforcing the western front. :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.