Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

WW2 Coins

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by sommecourt, Sep 28, 2003.

1. sommecourt

sommecourt Member

Someone I work with on my battlefield tours gave me these coins. They were bought many years ago in Austria. He had two sets, one in gold and one in silver - although I suspect they weren't made of these materials. Any ideas what they are? When made and by whom?

I have airbrushed out the swastica for obvious reasons.

2. sommecourt

sommecourt Member

Front View First:

[​IMG]

3. sommecourt

sommecourt Member

Back view:

Rommel is the DAK coin, and AH the other.

[​IMG]

4. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi Paul--I see these for sale in magazines on on websites I have accidently found. These are just Commemorative Coins. They usually sell from $10.00 to $20.00 per coin.

I've been tempted to collect these too but--they are VERY hard to get your cost back if you even need to sell them. Samething goes with Silver Coins. I had several nice commemerative coins I collected over a few years paying from $10.00 to $25.00 for each. I wound up having to take about a 50% loss on their resale--just to sell them.

PS--I also have not been able to let you know that I reciever those two maps you sent to me. Thank you very much for them. They will come in handy. [​IMG] [​IMG]

[ 28. September 2003, 02:36 PM: Message edited by: C.Evans ]

5. sommecourt

sommecourt Member

Thanks for that - any idea who makes them and why?

Glad the maps were of interest.

6. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi Paul--quite welcome.

I don't know who makes them but, they are very easy to get on ebay.com and ebay.de. There are many others as well. I have seen Gunther Rall coins, Erich Hartmann(which I wanted to get badly but--I never have the money when I find this stuff) Heinz Guderain, Erich von Manstein, Erich Topp, Wolfgang Luth and several others.

If I happen to stumble on an advertisement for these--i'll make sure I get the website I see it on and will forward it to you.

The maps are coming in handy. I pulled one of them out when the History Channel was playing Battle of the Bulge a few days ago. I'm planning on laminating and mounting the maps so I can make some symbols out of thin rubber, and post them for a handy reference on German, American and British positions. [​IMG]