Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

WW2 effects: Alabama

Discussion in 'WWII Today' started by JJWilson, May 16, 2018.

1. JJWilson

JJWilson Well-Known Member

Hello everyone, today I will be sharing some information on a rather relevant state to this forum, Alabama. I know there are 3 or 4 members who live in Alabama. I hope I do the Heart of Dixie justice, and would love to hear the natives give their stories and info. Just as a side note, I will not be super active the next few days, Graduation and Finals are only a few days away, so don't be surprised if you don't see me much after Friday for a while. Anyways, enjoy!!

Alabama Pre-WW2
    From 1865, to 1941, Alabama was one of the worst state's in the Union to live in. The same could be said of most of the "Dixieland" states, or Southern states that were formerly apart of the Confederacy during the Civil War. Alabama however was among the worst off during the Great Depression, with the unemployment rate being stated at 26% percent in 1933, some historians believe it could have been as high as 40%, because many black's were not considered "suitable" for work, if that is the case, Alabama's unemployment would be the highest in U.S history at any point in time. Speaking of the African American's (Which made up 35% of the 2.8 million Alabamians in 1940), they were treated horribly by their White neighbours and bosses, and the state government's Jim Crow laws. Segregation and discrimination in Alabama was nothing new (It's still around, and has been around in Alabama for more than 2 centuries), and sadly it was just the norm for White people to look down upon their black brothers. Besides the unfortunate and embarrassing Jim Crow Laws, Alabama's economy was one of the worst in the U.S, and the reliance on Agriculture was still getting Alabama nowhere, it would take an enemy with many of the same evil ideas and sentiments about "lesser humans" to change all of that.

Alabama WW2
    In the years directly following U.S involvement in WW2, Alabama was chosen to host a multitude of Army and government installations if war arrived, which it did in 1941. In the state capitol Montgomery, the limited factories available were transformed to produce and efficiently manufacture the weapons of war. Birmingham, Mobile, Huntsville, and Tuscaloosa followed closely behind. In the span of a few months, Alabama's industrial production was competing with the likes of Ohio, Indiana, and Virginia, considerably more industrialized states. For the first time in Alabama's history, industry outweighed agricultural production. The unemployment problem was solved rather quickly with the need for workers in the factories and government installations, by 1942, unemployment was at 11%, by 1945 it would be 6%. The increase in jobs in large cities increased the population significantly, and made the cities more desirable than the rural areas. Alabama believe it or not was bordering a highly contested war zone, the Gulf of Mexico. U-boat activity near the ports and dry docks of Mobile Alabama was heavy in the beginning of the war, and may ships and lives were lost off the coast of Alabama. Alabama was home to the famous Tuskegee airmen of the 322nd FG and the 477th BG. The Redstone ordnance plant in Huntsville was one of the largest arsenal's in the Continental U.S during the war, and is the state's largest employer to this day. Alabama was also home to about 5,000 POW's during the war, mostly German and Italians. 350,000 of Alabama's young boys and Men served during the war, 50,000 of whom were colored. 5,114 would ultimately die in the war.

Alabama Post WW2

Without WW2, Alabama would probably still be a segregated and economically handicapped state. WW2 forced the state to adapt, economically, politically, and socially. In the 50's and 60's, Alabama would go through the tumultuous Civil rights years, and would eventually rid the Jim Crow laws, the factories and industrial complex of Alabama fuel the economy, and provide more than half of the state's jobs. Things have improved greatly from 1938 to 2018 in all aspects of life in Alabama, however it still struggles with unemployment, and poverty, along with the worst educational system in the U.S. Allen T. Cronenberg of the University of Alabama said this of WW2's effect on the state, "World War II and its aftermath changed the face of American culture, and this was equally true in Alabama. The state had already begun its recovery after the Great Depression, but the war brought major industrial expansion, dramatic population shifts, and new opportunities in the workforce for African Americans and women. Boom times followed, with sometimes dubious consequences for many Alabama communities, and the effects of these changes continue to evolve and shape the state and its inhabitants."

[​IMG]
    A sad example of Sgregation, 1934
    [​IMG]
    Montgomery, 1941
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Tuskegee airmen in 1943
    [​IMG]
    Alabama Countryside
    [​IMG]
    Montgomery, state capitol building
    [​IMG]
    The biggest NCAA Rivalry in the U.S, Auburn vs Alabama............Civil War 2.0

rkline56 and CAC like this.
  2. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

I hope that they embrace their African American brothers...believe in and support them, they are capable of great things, like anybody who is believed in and supported. They "aint" going anywhere...they are your brothers. (that message goes both ways). Otherwise i'll keep my nose out of other people's business...
    I'm sending you the luck of the Irish to you young fella...ive got a feeling you'll blitz your exams...
    You got a graduation date yet? Hmmm...?

JJWilson likes this.
  3. JJWilson

For the most part Alabama has moved on from it's darker past, there will always be those few Bast#$ds that will discriminate anyway, and yes, they have amazing potential if given a chance. Thanks for your kind words CAC, I'm graduating on the 23rd!! My last day of school is the 21st though.

4. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Woohoo! Whats next on the agenda? (Not sure of your age or the American schooling system) - University?

You better have University in your plans...means thousands of dollars extra every year for life...not a bad trade for 4 years of fun and frivolity!

JJWilson likes this.
  5. JJWilson

Yes I'm going to Chandler Gilbert Community College for 2 years to get a communications degree, from there I might go in the direction of Law or Psychology, hopefully I can find a wifey in the process too down the road.

6. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Just stick to girlfriends for now mate...work out what you DONT want as much as what you do in a partner. Just my opinion.
    What about mixing your interest in the military with Law or psychology? Americans will always need military lawyers.

rkline56 and JJWilson like this.
  7. JJWilson

Oh definitely, I'm not planning on getting married before I'm 20, that is not something you rush. I've thought about Military or history for both, I'm leaning more towards Psychology because it's fascinating to me. I want to analyze why the diehard Nazi Party members thought the way they did, or the stress of combat and it's effects. For right now I would really enjoy being a Therapist, I know it sounds funny but I enjoy listening to people, and I have always wanted to help people who are sad, angry, confused. It would be a job I enjoy, while also hopefully helping others........a win win.

8. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Failed doctors go into psychology or become a dentist!...sorry couldn't resist. Not thought of psychiatry? The big brother to psychologists IMO. Much better pay too...
    All that sadness, anger and confusion can get a bloke down after a while...but you do seem to have the right temperament. The Universe or God has a special place for those who devote their lives to helping others...A grand plan mate.

JJWilson likes this.
  9. JJWilson

It's just a thought for now, but I'm considering it. Making money is important, but I don't want money to influence my decision which is hard. I agree CAC, God definitely has a place for those with charity in their hearts, that would be great if I could have a lifetime based on that.

CAC likes this.