Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

WW2 effects: Oregon

Discussion in 'WWII Today' started by JJWilson, Apr 5, 2018.

1. JJWilson

JJWilson Well-Known Member

Hello everybody, I have this weeks addition of WW2 effects on the grand state of Oregon! I had the opportunity to visit Oregon back in February, and it was beautiful. I got to see and learn a lot about Oregon in WW2, and I hope you learn some more about the Beaver state too, enjoy!

Oregon Pre-WW2
    Life up in the Pacific Northwest in the late 30's and early 40's was vastly different from every other region in the U.S. With these differences came some good things, and some not so good things. Oregon was a relatively small state during the Depression era, finally growing past the 1 million people mark in 1939. The biggest problem for Oregon was that there were very few incentives to bring people to the state, and Oregon was trudging along in the Depression like everyone else. Oregon had (and still has) a very unique agricultural and natural resource pool to fuel the struggling economy. Oregon like it fellow state Washington up in North, relied heavily on Logging and shipbuilding industries, simply because there isn't a whole lot that grows in Oregon (Besides berries and fish). Beyond that, Oregon had barely any kind of an industrial base, and was lacking major cities and towns to build factories at. These issues and many others ultimately limited what Oregon could do to try and pull itself out of the Depression.

Oregon WW2
    By the time WW2 came around to the U.S, Oregon was finally starting to get it's act together economically, partly due to Government projects such as building airfields and other training facilities. But it wouldn't be until after Pearl Harbor that Oregon came out of the fog if you will, and went into overdrive to help the war effort. Factories did indeed pop up everywhere from Portland, to Eugene, and to the Capital Salem. While the factories didn't quite reach the output and scale of other states, it still proved a valuable asset to the arsenal of Democracy, but in particular, the shipbuilding sector. One of Oregon's pre-war strengths, shipbuilding on a massive scale came almost naturally, and more than 400 ships were made in 84 shipyards across the coast. Oregon's unemployment rate went from a awful 20.5% to 4% in less than a year, and the factories also allowed a significant amount of integration with Oregon's uniquely diverse population that would set the stage for further progress in racial and religious issues later on. Oregon's WW2 experience is considerably different than that of the other 48 states at that time, Oregon essentially became part of the warzone. Along with the tragic Japanese bomb balloon incident that killed 6 people (A woman and 5 children), Oregon was the only state in the Continental U.S to be shelled by an axis vessel. The shelling took place at Fort Stevens near the Oregon-Washington Border, on the 21st of June 1942. The Japanese submarine I-25 shelled the fort at night, causing no real damage, and narrowly escaped destruction the following morning by USAAF aircraft.

Oregon Post WW2

2,835 servicemen of Oregon died in the War, and more than 150,000 (10% of the states population) fought in the war. Thousands more worked in the factories and shipyards across the state to fight off the "Axis of Evil". Oregon was forever changed by the conflict, and the economy basically maintained it's success for decades after the war. Shipbuilding and logging is becoming a thing of the past in Oregon, while technology and modern business dominate the states economy, along with a pretty hefty amount of tourism as well. The lessons learned, and the success kindled during WW2, has allowed Oregon to be among one of the more successful and modern states in the U.S., and it will only continue to progress for decades to come.

[​IMG]
    Tourists at Mt Hood, Date unknown
    [​IMG]
    A liberty ship being sent off in 1942 near Newport
    [​IMG]
    Troops inspecting a shell crater at Fort Stevens
    [​IMG]
    Portland today

CAC likes this.
  2. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

A post card state by the looks...stunning.

JJWilson likes this.
  3. JJWilson

JJWilson Well-Known Member

It certainly is.......beautiful indeed

4. lwd

lwd Ace

I thought at least one Japanese sub shelled some refineries in California. Ft. Stevens in Oregon (hope I got that right) was the only military installation in a US state that was shelled. That's if I remember correctly. The damage in California could also have been from AA fire at non existent Japanese aircraft. Oregon was also the only state bombed by an Axis airplane.

JJWilson likes this.