Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

WW2 Era German Typed Letter from comrade in the field Informing parents their Son was KIA

Discussion in 'Photographs and Documents' started by Heartfeltzero, Dec 22, 2022.

1. Heartfeltzero

Heartfeltzero Active Member

EF6BAEB3-7B69-4DF7-A550-BAB0879C8A46.jpeg

The letter roughly translates to :

“In the field, the 28. 11. 43

Dear Mr. Schitz!

In the defensive battles on the Dnieper River near Novo-Georgievsk on November 27, 1943, your Muller Damian Gilles fell in solemn fulfillment of his duties in the fight for the Freihe Greater Germany, true to his oath of allegiance to Fuhrer, people and fatherland.

Damian has excelled in the tough battles of special dedication and bravery. In the fire of the enemy, which was particularly violent the day before, Damian was mortally wounded by shrapnel. He did not suffer.

At the same time in the name of his comrades, I express my merriest sympathy. We will keep Damian in honorable memory. We buried him in the heroic cemetery in Nowo- Georgyevsk.The certainty that your ward gave its life for the greatness and future of our eternal German people may be a consolation to you. In sincere compassion, I greet you

your

Signed signature. Lt.”

2. Riter

Riter Well-Known Member

Thanks

3. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

I don't know German but I question the translation that says "merriest sympathy". Otherwise, a good letter.