Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

WW2 German Camping Base 1944 while on retreat Found on Metal Detecting

Discussion in 'Battlefield Relics' started by CristianH, Apr 12, 2016.

1. CristianH

CristianH New Member

Hello, this is one of my latest trip in the mountains and I found a WW2 German camping base with some interesting finds as you can see below both photo's and the moment of discovery in the video.
    This was a peak where Germans were retreating and having Russians and Romanians on their back. After the signs found in the zone I can tell that they had maybe an entire week or more before being attacked by Russians 6 km away in a hill pass.
    We found interesting relics and the evidence of German tents, first we found a double fork and spoon made from aluminum then a piece of metal attached to the tent fabric and ultimately the tent stake still in the ground. And that wasn't all because we found on the side of the trench a German Bronze Infantry Assault Badge in a good shape and that was the WOW moment of the day.
    Later that day we found a dump pit and in the pit we fund a piece from an S-mine, a spoon, few cans and a small bottle from beard and hair oil Mouson Lavendel. And not to forget the BONA Cheese which was the German troops daily food ratio and the German Coins.
    This was a great day for metal detecting in a WW zone I have no doubt and I hope you enjoyed this.
    Thank you.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnuqErXEv2M

View attachment 24061 View attachment 24062 View attachment 24063 View attachment 24064

Attached Files:

Slipdigit and YugoslavPartisan like this.
  2. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Great finds indeed. These relics are in good condition.

The MFF code = Trierer Walzwerk AG, Wuppertal-Langerfeld

3. CristianH

CristianH New Member

Thank you for the code, now I'll check the other one I have found last year I think it has a different code.

4. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

5. CristianH

CristianH New Member

The other one is R.S. and I don't think is the the list. I found it in another list some time ago but I forgot it.

Attached Files:

6. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

R.S. = Rudolf Souval of Vienna

CristianH likes this.
  7. YugoslavPartisan

YugoslavPartisan Drug

Awesome finds!

CristianH likes this.
  8. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

As you know Vienna was German from 1938-1945, so your badge is a war issue made between 1938 and 1944 (the year it was lost)

9. CristianH

CristianH New Member

Yes I thought that it was made in the first years of war and I compared both of them and the difference can be clearly seen and this one is the silver rank and the soldier tried to fix the pin with some melted tin. What can I say is that in the area it was found were pretty bad days for both sides, everything was set on fire, they used incendiary ammunition and if you dig a few cm in the ground it is red like brick. Many soldiers died that day on that hill Germans, Romanians and Russians and that battle is not found in the books only the elders of the nearby city that were witnesses know what really happened those days and nights.

10. CristianH

CristianH New Member

We fallowed the trench lines to the west and in an important hill pass we found evidence of a small battle between Russians and Germans. But before Russians arrival the Germans stayed there a week or two, they evacuated the local population and prepared for battle. With all their strategies they lost the battle being outnumbered and retreated further west deeper in the mountain area.
    As interesting finds found over there are these:
    - WW2 German Compass made from bakelite
    - fork and spoon marked 1940 (stainless steel fork)
    - a K98 Cof 44 bayonet scabbard
    - a glass bottle from soda water imported from Poland
    - and a military shovel
    In this video we present you our first trip in the area and there will be another video in the near future with other finds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHYcVcX7LxM

[​IMG]

View attachment 24278 View attachment 24279 View attachment 24280

Attached Files:

11. YugoslavPartisan

YugoslavPartisan Drug

Awesome!

12. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

I believe you have found a Bush Rathenov Compass like this model

[​IMG]

13. CristianH

CristianH New Member

Yes indeed :D mine is not complete but still makes a great find for me being the only one found in these years. Thank you for the info provided.

14. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

More about your mineral water bottle

Altheide is in Silezia and belongs to Poland nowadays. It had a Kurhaus with mineral water (it still exist) . Your bottle came from the Kurhaus (it says : for use in the Altheide baths , not to be sold )

http://www.wikiwand.com/de/Polanica-Zdr%C3%B3j

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

CristianH likes this.
  15. CristianH

CristianH New Member

That's very interesting, so the water was used only on the site and not sold or shipped out of the country. Maybe Germans used all the supplies available at that moment even non commercial products. The trenches where these were found are from August 1944 and it was a small battle in the area between Germans and Romanians for saving a small village and it's people.

16. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

I'd rather think that some young soldier went to the bath on a leave and "failed" to return the bottle. Or this bottle was possibly sent to him in parcel by his family to remind him of the 'Heimat". Anything is possible.