Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

WW2 Lee Miller Photo Equipment used ??

Discussion in 'Weapons & Technology in WWII' started by Mycall2758, Jan 26, 2024.

1. Mycall2758

Mycall2758 New Member

Hi
    I’m collecting all the equipment used in the famous war photograph by Lee Miller that was shot for Vogue Magazine 1941 for an article entitled ‘British Women Under Fire’.
    Picture No. 2 was the photograph eventually published. No.1 & 3 are just details and No.4 is a detail from the same shoot that was unused. (Ignore the nose for the moment as this was undoubtedly made for the shoot).
    So far I have obtained the following
    -Shrapnel Glasses in No.1
    -Air Raid Whistle
    -Fibre Glass Helmet
    So I’m now concentrating on the full face mask in picture No.3. I’m in two minds as to weather the mask was an official piece of kit, an experimental piece of kit, or something made for the shoot.
    here are some of my observations on the full face mask.
    The slit in the googles (No.1) I believe was to aid the bending of the side plate to fit the user. The metal it is made from is really strong and doesn’t bend easy. There is what looks like a longer slit in the mask.
    The eye holes have what looks like 3 grooves cut in them this indicates a complex manufacturing process.The blue arrow indicates a thickness of about 1 mm The googles have a measured thickness of 1mm ish.
    The hole for the elastic strap (No.4) looks like it’s been punched and not drilled (not very neat), and the elastic doesn’t look official and is tied to the side.
    At first the mask looks like it’s made of some kind of celluloid but I have a feeling it might be some sort of aluminium painted black as you can see what might be scratch marks in picture No.3.
    The mask follows the path of the interior of the helmet and the corners are curved.
    Most of all I can’t see a prescribed use for the mask, It could be for fire protection I suppose.
    Obviously if anyone has ever seen this mask before then that would be great. I am at the moment preparing drawings to commission a one off replica. Any comments would be welcomed… Thanks
    Shoot.jpg

2. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Photograph taken by famous female WW2 photographer Lee Miller - Elizabeth "Lee" Miller, Lady Penrose (April 23, 1907 – July 21, 1977), was an American photographer and photojournalist. She was a fashion model in New York City in the 1920s before going to Paris, where she became a fashion and fine art photographer. During the Second World War, she was a war correspondent for Vogue, covering events such as the London Blitz, the liberation of Paris, and the concentration camps at Buchenwald and Dachau.[1]
    [​IMG]

The above masks are characterised as "Fire Masks".

3. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I'd rather have an OBA, if that's alright with y'all.

4. Mycall2758

Mycall2758 New Member

Thanks for the replies ....

I can see a Quick action visor. But nothing official that looks like the one in the photo...

QAV.jpg

5. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

White phosphorus bombs?